AR15 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have some time untill I can get the rest of my AR...:(

Would it be best to get a chrome lined barrel? Is this for ease of cleaning and longer life? I have read tons of info on ARFCOM but posting the "same question" over and over seems "dangerous".

Let me know what you think. I am trying to finish my first AR build at a lower cost....Trying...

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, chrome is easier to clean and supposedly longer lasting. It's also supposed to be a bit less accurate. Depends on what you want, tack driver or "adequate" accuracy.

Also IIRC a chromed barrel pretty much means you're getting a 5.56 chamber instead of the .223. This matters if you're going to shoot military surplus ammo. 556 can run higher than SAAMI standards pressures and the 556 chamber is a bit "looser" than the 223 so it is safe for both types of ammo.

Personally, I figured the extra $45 for my Del-Ton kits was worth it for the cleaning/longevity issue alone. Their chromed barrels are 556 chambered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main reason some folks want chrome lined is easier cleaning. The original M16A1 did not offer chrome lining but was changed to offer chrome lining as standard. At the same time, a lot of misinformation was spread through the ranks that the M16 didn't need cleaning. :???:

A chrome lined barrel will also hold up better to sustained full auto fire, but in an Ar15 is not a real consideration.

Basically ease of cleaning and better barrel life in extreme conditions is a chrome lined barrels' advantage.

A good non-chromed barrel will be more accurate though. And Stainless steel is also a good barrel type.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so chrome is a longer lasting barrel. Accuracy goes off my what 1/x MOA?
I'll go with it.

Thanks,

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and it sounds really cool to say, "It's got a chrome lined barrel". And we all know that the main reason for accessories or features on an AR15 is to sound cool. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slight loss of accuract vs. longer barrel life.

Standard M16A4 with chromelined barrel have to pass an accuracy test at the factory. Accuracy test is of 4" group at 100 yards or better.

SS barrel can be super accurate.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've shot some 1/2", five-shot groups @ 100 yds. from my Bushy Shorty with JP trigger/hammer; free-floated barrel, shooting Berger bullets. Is that accurate enough for your use?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, easy to ask open ended questions without any significant detail on intended use.. Heads up everyone, this is my standard response to no detail questions like this from now on...

What are you wanting to use the rifle for? 3gun, hunting really bad people in really far off lands, long range target shooting, Home Defense, ect..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two M4 uppers. One is a chromelined Bushmaster and the other is a nonchrome lined DPMS. Both has 5.56 chambers and are 1/9 twist.

Between the two, my DPMS can do .5 MOA with my handloads. the Bushmaster is .9 MOA withe same ammo. In my hands both are 1.5 MOA. I'm not that steady of a shot nut in the hands of an expert you can tell the diffirence.

Cleaning is not an issue because I clean my rifle after every use. I don't fire automatic and I shoot a maximum of 350 - 400 rounds every outing.

Personally, if the chrome lined barrel was the same price as unchrome lined, I would get it. But I wouldn't pay extra just to get a chromelined barrel. If you are good enough shot, you will know the diffrence in accuracy.

Of course if you want 'resale', you need to get a chrome lined. There is a large block of people who refuse to buy anything that is not chrome lined.

As for longevity, your barrel will probably be shot out from throat erosion before anything else. From what I have read, chrome lining extends the onset of through erosion anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 round over a regular chrome moly barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go chrome or go home ;)

:lol:

I have each, my carbines aren't "bench rifles" so the little loss of accuracy doesn't bother me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More like a failure drill LOL

I would personally not get one without a Chrome lined barrel. It's just tougher than the non-lined barrels and unless I was shooting a big time long range match the slight diff. in accuracy isn't going to matter to me. I was shooting clay pigeons with my M4orgery at the range last time I was out at 100 yards. Accurate enough for me.

Not to mention thats the way Stoner originally designed it :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts