AR15 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i need to buy some cleaning tools for my soon to be ar15.

Should I buy a kit? Otis? Or a basic ar15 kit with segmented cleaning rod and brushes?

Should I buy the tools seperately? If so what brands?

i think no matter what i buy I will also get a bore snake for a final pass

suggestions would be great!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I like Boresnakes too, they are compact, quick, and easy, making it great for the field.

But if you are going to give her a good cleaning, you will still need a traditional cleaning rod, with a brush, and patches. I like to soak the patch in Hoppes #9 for the first pass, then use a copper brush for about 2 passes, then another pass of a wet patch, and finally about 2 dry patches to end it. Make sure the patch are a little loose so it gets the whole surface area of the barrel. Too tight of a fit and you will miss some spots. For .223 you want 1" square patches.

For all rifles, you should clean from the chamber end. I don't like segmented cleaning rods because their a chance the jagged edges where they connect can come in cotact with the barrel and ruin it. But if you are careful you can get the job done. Also might want to use the pull technique. Even with one piece I never push, I only pull. Meaning I'll push it through the barrel with no brush or patch, then once it's all the way through then I'll attach the patch/brush the proceed to pull the rod. When you pull, the rod won't be able to bend to to touch the surface.

You will also need an AR chamber brush. AR's have a special chamber brush with longer bristles on one end to enable you to clean the locking lugs the same time you are cleaning the chamber.

So here is what I have in my AR cleaning kit:

- Boresnake (for quick field cleaning, about $15)
- One Piece cleaning Rod (about $25)
- Hoppes #9 (copper solvent)
- AR chamber brush ($3)
- Barrel/Bore brush ($2)
- Cleaning patches (1")
- Toothbrush
- Brake Cleaner (to clean everthing, preferebly non chlorinated because it is safe on plastic)
- Blue paper towels.
- Synthetic Motor Oil for lube after the clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info. I've never heard of using motor oil for oiling a gun... is there any reason you choose motor oil over regular gun oil?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Boresnake.. good.. For field cleaning I use WeaponShield.
For my other cleaning I use the Otis kit.
Hoppes #9 as well.
Synthetic Motor oil for the lube.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Black guns produce tons of carbon build-up, copper fowling. The absolute best product is MPRO-7 by Pantheon chemicle!-Only use carbon fiber cleaning rods save your chamber,barrel, crown.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - I ended up ordering stuff directly from the Dewey site
24" nylon coated rod
bronze bore brush
patch loop
chamber brush and handle
nylon ar15 brush (fancy tooth brush)

I have patches, Hoppe's 9 and CLP at home for my xd45

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I've never heard of using motor oil for oiling a gun... is there any reason you choose motor oil over regular gun oil?
It's lube, it's cheap, and it works. A liter will probably last you a lifetime. I find the internals still slippery after much use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts