AR15 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some forums, a question like this could cause everyone to get their boxers in a bunch. But for some reason, I get the feeling we could have a helpful discussion about it here.

I'm wondering what products folks use to clean and lube their AR15/M16 rifles. And for those who carried one for Uncle Sam, what did you use at that time?

While I have used various solvents (like Hoppe's), oils and grease on rifles like the M1 and M14, I have almost always used CLP alone on my AR15s. Why? First, because that's what the US Army and USMC manuals called for and secondly, because it seems to do a good job of cleaning, lubing and protecting.

Thanks and be well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back in the day, early 70's we used LSA on our 16's. Let the hate begin, Now I use a few drops of Balistol on the Gas rings and Mobil 1 on the carrier rails and a touch of moly grease on the sear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in the day, early 70's we used LSA on our 16's. Let the hate begin, Now I use a few drops of Balistol on the Gas rings and Mobil 1 on the carrier rails and a touch of moly grease on the sear.
Thanks for commenting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
CLP all day long: Proven in ALL environments for at least 30 years, plentiful and cheap. Produces very little smoke when heated. Sorry but motor oil and moly grease were not made for gun use. It leaves sludge when heated and is useless in very cold temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts