AR15 Forums banner

Cmmg

2K views 17 replies 0 participants last post by  Badshot 
G
#1 ·
I"ve asked this on other threads but I thought I might ask in my own thread. The uppers on the site confuse me a bit (yup first AR buyer here). Some are sold with a "5.5" permanent hider". I assume this is a flash suppressor of some sort. My question is, is a "permanent hider" on the barrel a good/bad thing? Does this mean I cannot get my own suppressor? Would you want to put your own upgrade etc on it? And since it's permamnent, can you take it off?
Ahh questions questions...

G
#2 ·
If it's permanent it's usually because the barrel is shorter than 16 inches.
The flash hider is permanently attached to bring the overall length to something over 16 inches.
If you're looking at CMMG you will have your choice of flash hiders, there's a long list when you're ordering an upper or a rifle and CMMG has many to choose from and will install it for you. If you want you can opt to have it as non-permanent as long as the barrel is more than 16 inches.

G
#4 ·
They have pictures for most of the flash hiders they offer in the accessories section of their on-line store.
You have the option to have a flash hider with a non-permanent attachment with any length barrel, but if the barrel is under 16 inches you need to get a tax stamp from the BATF and register the rifle as an SBR. -someone else could give better info here
If the barrel is over 16 inches it doesn't matter; get it non-permanent in case you feel the need to change it latter.

G
#5 ·
OK, trying to help out here some.

Barrels under 16 inches long being installed on a rifle, must have a permanent extension pinned and welded (usually a long CAR flashider or Phantom comp/hider) to bring it to 16 inches overall length of the barrel to comply with federal law unless you are exempt with a cancelled tax stamp much like the one that caused our ancestors to dress up like indians and throw the Kings tea into Boston Harbor, or are using it in an official manner. ie., law enforcement officer.

preban configuration barrel 16 inches or longer--are all threaded

postban configuration barrel 16 inches or longer--not threaded. I've also seen these called competition and varmint barrels

Under 16 inch barrels almost always have threaded barrels. Only way to legally use on a rifle is to apply and be approved for a license from the NFA branch of the ATF. These short barrels are usually called pistol barrels or SBR barrels or machine gun barrels or a host of other terms relating to law enforcement and military use only.

Bottom line, if you're not wanting to jump through hoops to obtain an SBR license (cancelled tax stamp), as long as the minimum overall length of the barrel is 16.0 inches, you could get a preban barrel and change whatever flashider or comp you want as often as you like.

Barrel threading for 5.56/.223 AR15's is 1/2-28 threads per inch.

*Not all comps and flashiders are this thread pitch as there are a lot of alternate calibers for AR15's.

In some states and munincipalities, threaded barrels are not allowed for civilian ownership. Most states don't have problems with this.

You can check to see if threaded (preban) barrels (and other things related to assualt weapons) are legal in your state by clicking here. Hope it helps
OA2.org :: View topic - Federal/State Gun Laws

G
#6 ·
I appreciate it, please bear with me...so I get the 10.5" with the 5.5" perm hider=16"...so if I buy a 16 inch barrel what ranges do the hiders come in? Basically if I want a Car and not a 20" what barrel should I be looking at getting length wise?

G
#7 ·
I appreciate it, please bear with me...so I get the 10.5" with the 5.5" perm hider=16"...so if I buy a 16 inch barrel what ranges do the hiders come in? Basically if I want a Car and not a 20" what barrel should I be looking at getting length wise?
IMO a 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" hider is a waste ... you lose velocity without the benefit of the SBR, so I think a 14.5" barrel with perhaps a phantom pinned & welded makes more sense, otherwise just get a 16" barrel.

(yeah, I went for the 14.5" P&W'd Phantom5C2)

G
#8 ·
For a carbine I'd look at a 16" with a non-permanent flash hider or a 14.5" with a permanent flash hider. If it's got to be over 16" anyway you might as well have most of that be barrel rather than flash hider.

G
#9 ·
Now the next lesson will be the bbl profile. Hbar is full width from the receiver to the flash hider. Government profile is light under the handguards and flares back out to full Hbar thickness out to the F/H. M4 profile is typically light under the handguards and has the step in the bbl for the 203 grenade launcher.

I have absolutely no use for the bbl step but a lot come with this profile these days and it doesn't "bother" me. What I do like is the gov profile under the handguards. To me this makes the rifle much easier to move, swing side to side switching targets. I've had a 16" Hbar as well as 16" M4 type profile . . . I like the 16" M4. I can change muzzle device if I want, I have a nice light bbl and I have the full velocity from a 16" bbl. Probably not a huge velocity trade off, but it gives the freedom to do what you want with your front end. The AR platform is all about options and scalability to me.

Heck, some day I may end up putting a master key on the front of that bbl step. LOL now that would get my attention.ha

Good luck with your quest for enlightenment. Do some searches on manufacurer tiers. I like to stay in the tier 2-3 range with Bravo Company or CMMG etc. Next look into bbl twist rates as well.

Slugger

G
#17 ·
IMHO there are some features tier 2-3 manufacturers do that is worth the minimal extra $$ to me. Everyone has their opinions. Saving a few $$ on a tool I'll likely have the rest of my life is not a big thing. I'd also check out Lewis Machine and Tool and Bravo Machine Company. Over the life of the gun I'll spend more on ammo to run through it than I did on the entire gun. That makes an extra $50-100 seem like nothing.
Slugger

G
#18 ·
And here's your change.. .02 :)

CMMG does have some higher prices in some cases, but the quality is absolute and the customer service is something that larger shops and manufacturers should study.

Their bargain bin weapons are excellent starter rifles, not pure CMMG, but worth the minor cost to modify some and you still come out way ahead of a more expensive brand name.

Then again, that's my humble (or not as many here recognize) opinion.. not to mention I own a BB CMMG rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.