AR15 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have an AR for 5.56 or .223 and .22lr. Would it be best to go for two different uppers or just a conversion kit? Is this something I'd be able to change out whenever I wanted to?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
go w/ 556..

it will take both 556 & 223 then pick up a ciener 22lr kit for the double-duece. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a ceiner 22 conversion bolt/mag that works in my regular 5.56 chambered AR.

Just remember to shoot a couple .223 rounds every so often to keep the gunk blown out of the gas tube because 22 is dirtier.

22LR's are not as accurate as .223 in them, but is so much cheaper, I often overlook that. :smile:. It'll still hit paper plates out to at least 100 yards or so, so if you're just wanting to have fun and practice without going bankrupt, I say go for it.

The only thing you have to do to swap between .223 or 5.56 (whatever the gun is chambered in) to .22LR is exchange the bolt carrier and magazine. Takes all of 5 whole seconds. ;)

If you're wanting to buy an AR, get one that's chambered in 5.56 because you can use both .223 and 5.56 in them. In a .223 chambered AR, you can't shoot the slightly larger 5.56 surplus. Basically unless you're just wanting to shoot in target competitions, get the 5.56 barrel and the Ceiner/Atchisson conversion kit and you're set up for 3 different bullets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firing .223 & .22 out of a 5.56 won't harm the barrel or anything?

Just fire some 5.56 every now and again to clear it out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firing .223 & .22 out of a 5.56 won't harm the barrel or anything?

Just fire some 5.56 every now and again to clear it out?
The assumption is that you will purchase a rifle chambered for the 5.56 NATO round.
It is slightly different than the .223 chamber and can fire .223 ammunition whereas the .223 chamber can cause problems if you attempt to fire the more powerful and slightly longer throated NATO ammunition.

Translation, 5.56 can get stuck or maybe even go boom in a rifle designed to only use the .223 ammo.

Here is an article that goes over the differences between the two chamberings. The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

As for firing 5.56 ammo every once and a while, my understanding is the much higher poressure of this round compared to the .22lr will help keep the gas tube cleared of the crud from .22lr ammo, which is much dirtier ammo than either .223 or 5.56

As others have said if you are looking for a maximum accuracy rifle that you will use in competition, go with the .223 chambering. However, if you are just looking for a versatile rifle that is still more accurate than most people can shoot, go with the 5.56 chambering.

ETA: There are also hybrid chambered rifles that use funny names like Wylde, check it out! NATO chamber and Wylde chamber? - Yahoo! Answers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, will do then. I'll find a 5.56 and get that 22 conversion, this sounds like fun! And money :(. haha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to have an AR for 5.56 or .223 and .22lr. Would it be best to go for two different uppers or just a conversion kit? Is this something I'd be able to change out whenever I wanted to?
Keep in mind the .22lr is not the same diameter bullet as the .223/5.56mm. The 5.56 (which is what you want your rifle chambered in is a .224 bullet. the .22lr is actually a .222 or .223 bullet (clear as mud?) This could lead to a loss in accuracy.

If it were my money (and I were spending it on a .22lr instead of the 6.8SPC that I'm going to build), I'd get a dedicated .22lr upper along with the 5.56 upper. Olympic Arms and Bushmaster both make dedicated .22lr uppers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dedicated 22 barrels are more accurate.

However, the slightly overbored .223 w/conversion kit will still have you in the ballpark at 100 yards or less.

Plenty good enough for casual plinking and having a good time and especially for a cheap alternative for training.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just get a dedicated 22LR rifle :D, only $200. If you want to make it feel like an AR then get a aftermarket stock for another $80.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or buy something like a Marlin 60 for less than $100 and call it what it is, cheap accurate and jusy as much fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point, it makes sense ... that's probably why it turns me off ;D!

I've been lookin at Ruger 10 22s, will probably go with that. I dislike the rod loading Marlin, think that's what my room mate has.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts