AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t let my location fool you, I believe you should be able to own these guns. But for you full-auto enthusiasts out there, other than suppression fire, what good is full-auto in self defense?

I personally have never owned a full-auto weapon; however, I have fired a couple in my youth. I MUCH preferred 3 round burst or single-shot over full-auto as the control the later two gave me was much more ‘comfortable’ than letting the lead fly.

That being said, it was fun as hell!:twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can get 3 rd burst M16s by the way. If you were crazy enough to switch out the uppers you could even get it a quasi M4. A P90 on full auto I think could be the best defense weapon plausible.

my .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...what good is full-auto in self defense?
That depends on how many bad guys there are and how willing they are to be shot at by a high powered rifle or sub-machine gun that spits out 600 to 900 rounds per minute. As Gary's case shows, six rounds will drop a guy pretty quick and certain.

Every time I trained my troops on reacting to ambushes or similar attacks, the very first thing that we did was achieve fire superiority (if possible) as soon as we could. That meant everyone shot at least one mag at the enemy positions to break the attack up into manageable portions if possible. Once that is achieved, you can engage the enemy as they present themselves with select fire.

Gary Fadden did that in his situation. He engaged the first guy with automatic fire and that caused the next guy to hesitate long enough for him to be targeted for any possible follow up shots.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That depends on how many bad guys there are and how willing they are to be shot at by a high powered rifle or sub-machine gun that spits out 600 to 900 rounds per minute. As Gary's case shows, six rounds will drop a guy pretty quick and certain.

Every time I trained my troops on reacting to ambushes or similar attacks, the very first thing that we did was achieve fire superiority (if possible) as soon as we could. That meant everyone shot at least one mag at the enemy positions to break the attack up into manageable portions if possible. Once that is achieved, you can engage the enemy as they present themselves with select fire.

Gary Fadden did that in his situation. He engaged the first guy with automatic fire and that caused the next guy to hesitate long enough for him to be targeted for any possible follow up shots.
Thanks...that makes sense when facing several BG's. I also get the 'scare the sh**t out of them' affect. If I had several BG's I would feel much better having that kind of fire power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GREAT ARTICLE---I had never heard of the incident, which is strange because a portion of the chase passed within 100 yds. of where I am sitting

definitely a good read!

I wonder if the same stigma might also apply to semi-auto "assault weapons"...what if that had been my semi auto Mini-14 as opposed to the full auto version....hmmm....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uses for FA fire?

Breaking Contact
Over running an ambush
Suppressive fire for fire and movement

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When being overrun you need it, especially if the opposition has bayonets, you need them to physically not make it to you, dead or alive. If using an MP5 yeah you need full auto, but thats why I don't use 9s. P90 though, man I would pay dearly for a full auto one of those. G18 wouldn't be bad either though, shoulder stock, inverted mag connected to the accessory rail.... those would work great for shooting at a group coming through the front door.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
P90 though, man I would pay dearly for a full auto one of those.
I would only bother with a P90 if I'm up against kevlar. Otherwise, give me a big bullet with lots of "blammie" to it -- not some wimpy little 5-something-millimeter needle.

UMP, baby! Loaded with .40S&W JHP's!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts