AR15 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to start getting into hunting(I will be taking hunting classes in the near future), but I need an idea of a rifle build

Primarily want to do 200-800 yard hunting for deer, boar, varmints, and even coyotes. Currently have a 7.62x39 rifle with 16 inch barrel for closer range hunting if needed. I also have M1 Garand to use for emergency hunting, but I want a scoped weapon and I will not modify my M1 Garand. I want a more general use standard hunting rifle with good accuracy at a reasonable price.

Currently looking at 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel AR-15; 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 Remington AR-10; or even .30-06 BN-36.

I prefer not to go by what is currently available ammo-wise as that could always change. I also am not a fan of hype trains which makes me hesitant for 6mm ARC or Creedmoor rounds. While Creedmoor is proven, I get turned off abit with fanboyism which makes me hesitant for it. With 6mm ARC, worst case scenario I can get a 6.5 Grendel barrel or upper without much loss as both rounds have alot of parts/magazine interchangeability which is why I am considering it. BN-36 is a tad on the pricy side for my tastes as I prefer to keep under $1800 for a good rifle build, but I do get more .30-06 options than with my M1 with it as well as able to get optics. I did say I prefer not to go by what is currently available ammo-wise, but I have yet to find 7mm-08 Remington or 6.5 Grendel in my current area while I can find 6.5 Creedmoor and now 6mm ARC rounds, but that could easily change as I am moving to Texas soon and I am intrigued with 7mm. There is also the issue of finding a 7mm AR-10's to purchase as I generally see .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor ar-10's.

What do you recommend and what twist and barrel lengths for each caliber? I am leaning from 16"-22" for barrel lengths in general, but if you suggest otherwise, let me know.

Edit: I do want to get into reloading as well, so I am open to further suggestions.

·
Registered
AR15, AR10(DPMS),
12 Posts
I personally would go with the AR10 DPMS. There are so many varieties of calibers that you can hunt with, all by change the upper assembly.
I’ve definitely looked into the BN36. However your options are limited unless you go up from the 30-06.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts