AR15 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My dilemma. Ive been researching websites, visiting local gun shops, ive even probably read every thread on this site, trying to decide which manufacturer will be stamped on my first black rifle. Ive narrowed it down to DPMS, RRA, and S&W M&P. ( these are whats readily available at my local gun shop) The S&W runs about $600 more than the others, but comes with quad rails and chrome lined bore, bolt carrier, and gas key. My question is, is it worth the extra $ for these "upgrades". Money really isnt a huge issue with me as I am one who believes you get what you pay for, but I dont want to pay more for a name.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Chrome lined barrel usually cost $50.00 extra
Chromed bolt carrier (complete) usually cost an extra $50.00
I don't know if they outsource the quad rail, but a decent one will cost about $300.00
Troy sights $140 for the rear

That, plus, it's already put together for you.

Me, personally, I don't care one way or another for chrome. I'd like it because it's easy to clean, but I'll survive without it. If the chrome was free, I'd take it.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I think I just added the SIG 556 to the list. Maybe narrowed it to only the Sig or the S&W. pros and cons? (see what ive been going through for the last 3 months!) your knowledge and patience is greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose the owner can get just about anything i wanted, just too many to choose from. I dont know where to start to make a decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose the owner can get just about anything i wanted, just too many to choose from. I dont know where to start to make a decision.
If he'll handle a FFL transfer, you can get about anything you want.

What are you looking for in your presumably first AR?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it will be my first AR, and what im looking for is probably reliability and longevity above all. Im willing to spend a considerable amount of money to make sure i dont end up with something that i will be replacing parts on in the future. Ive read enough here to know that everyone will swear by whatever brand they own, and that is a good thing meaning there are so many good brands available. My problem is choosing which path to take. Should i buy a setup that already has all the bells and whistles, for considerably more, or should i start with a base model and work my way up to what i want in a finished rifle. Furthermore, should i (knowing nothing about AR's) even attempt to build my dream AR from scratch. Are the price differences significant enough to justify the "risk"?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it will be my first AR, and what im looking for is probably reliability and longevity above all. Im willing to spend a considerable amount of money to make sure i dont end up with something that i will be replacing parts on in the future. Ive read enough here to know that everyone will swear by whatever brand they own, and that is a good thing meaning there are so many good brands available. My problem is choosing which path to take. Should i buy a setup that already has all the bells and whistles, for considerably more, or should i start with a base model and work my way up to what i want in a finished rifle. Furthermore, should i (knowing nothing about AR's) even attempt to build my dream AR from scratch. Are the price differences significant enough to justify the "risk"?
Combat type carbine, or varmint/SPR.

I do hope you realize the Pandora's box buying an AR can open.;)

Perhaps you are familiar with these sites? A wealth of info on both.
http://www.m4carbine.net/, http://www.ar15.com/

Some will say Colt, or LMT are the best, others will say RRA, or Stag (I own a Stag) or DPMS (have one of their uppers) Bushmaster are the best. Just go with what you think is the best to suit your needs.

I'd buy a base and build from their. You can do things much cheaper, and you will see what works for you and others from their.

If you enjoy your first AR; build the next. You will have gained a good bit of knowledge just modifying your first AR.

Welcome to the sickness.:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard nothing but great things about Armalite rifles as well. Sorry to throw another brand into a overly difficult decision already. If it makes you feel any better i'm in the exact same boat as you. (deciding what to buy for first AR)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
You have to finish it yourself, or have someone else do it for you. I don't know of any that come that way out of the box. It's just another indication of BRD. (Black Rifle Disease) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I like the Sig 556. I want to get one, but funds are low currently. ...but... I already have an old Armalite M4C, tons of mags, etc. So adding a 556 to the mix is just a bonus for me.

Sig 556 does NOT use the same mags as the AR. Parts for the Sig 556 are going to be harder to come buy.

It's like the old PC vs Mac. Tons of things for the PC, few things for the Mac, but how many different spreadsheet programs do you need?

Same thing with the Sig 556 and AR. How many different rail systems do you need when you can only use one at a time anyway.

I have no personal experience with the Sig 556. It's just an interesting weapon to me and an old friend of mine says he love his.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
My first AR is a Rock River Arms. They were initially recommended by my gunsmith. He told me that they have excellent components, reliability, accuracy, and value. Tons of NET research indicated that he was right. Best bang for the buck.

After I ordered mine he ordered almost the same gun for himself. I got mine from AR15Sales.com which is run by Pete out of New Hampshire. He has great prices, and anything for the gun that you would ever need.

Mine is scheduled to arrive in a few weeks. Here is what it will look like.

So my vote is RRA. BTW... 20" Varminter Heavy Stainless Barrel was $879 delivered. With add ons and 4 RRA mags it cost about $1,000 and change.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard nothing but great things about Armalite rifles as well. Sorry to throw another brand into a overly difficult decision already. If it makes you feel any better i'm in the exact same boat as you. (deciding what to buy for first AR)
+1 on Armalite. I have an M4C and I love it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Sig 556 does NOT use the same mags as the AR. Parts for the Sig 556 are going to be harder to come buy.

Hardwarz

Actually the 556 does take USGI and PMAG's just fine.

Pro: Proven piston system based on the widely used 551 series, SIG quality
Con: Price, lack of built in sights, heavy, limited after market vendors and parts

A lot of folks are purchasing the 551 forends for their 556's, sadly they can only be had from a place in Europe and aren't cheap.

The S&W MP15 seems to have a fairly well established following, but when you start looking at that price range, you might consider LWRC and POF as options if you are looking at the 556 and a piston driven weapon.

Nothing wrong with wanting it set the way you'll want out of the gate, but given that this is your first AR, what I can say is you most likely don't know for certain what you'll really want. Not saying that to be condescending or rude, but take a few minutes and look at some of the same pictures from the same guys in the pic thread. You'll see a lot of evolution, lord knows my first AR went through about 5 iterations to get to where it is now. That gets expensive when you add up all of the changes and value loss on parts.
So my recommendation is to get a solid base configuration and shoot it. Then start thinking about what else you can do to it to make the weapon fit you better.

You might find that the Troy rail included with the MP15 Tac is too heavy or not long enough. You might find that you really aren't a fan of flip up sights and opt to go with a fixed Front sight and Rear sight, or combination there of. You most likely will decide to replace the stock, grip and maybe the trigger guard. You'll most likely end up with a Vertical Front Grip, Light and Optic of one type or another.

Until you're comfortable with shooting and hitting targets with the rifle, I'd say stick with Irons (good out to 300 meters). Go drop about 500 rounds through it, that should be enough to work out any kinks (e.g. break in) and give you a much better idea of how you want to have the rifle configured.

AR's are like Lego's .. and the choices are just as prolific.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
All AR's are basically the same. Just get one and enjoy. And shoots lots and lots of Wolf! :-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts