AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiousity I wanted to see if I could put my Simmons scope from my .22 on my Stag and it worked. Thanks to AJCrash for suggestion using a quarter and pliers to get the carry handle off. Here are some pics:

For whatever reason the front post doesnt block or show up in the scope.

I didnt think I'd want a scope on my AR but I'm thinking now that I should get the Millet DMS and some higher rings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It doesn't show up because of the magnification and how close it is. If you take a camera to the zoo and you want a picture of the lions/tigers without the fence, just get close enough with the lens and it won't show up either. It will be so out of focus, it won't show up in the exposure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't show up because of the magnification and how close it is. If you take a camera to the zoo and you want a picture of the lions/tigers without the fence, just get close enough with the lens and it won't show up either. It will be so out of focus, it won't show up in the exposure.
Make sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Lazarus, I'm glad to see the sickness setting in.:p

You'll love the DMS-1, maybe try out the CAA one piece rings. That's how I've got mine mounted until the LT SPR-E (and other goodies) shows up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Lazarus, I'm glad to see the sickness setting in.:p

You'll love the DMS-1, maybe try out the CAA one piece rings. That's how I've got mine mounted until the LT SPR-E (and other goodies) shows up.
Where can I buy said rings? I want to keep this one simple. My next AR is going to be a pseudo-sniper with very nice glass, bipod, etc.

Now I see why they call this a sickness. It envelopes you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC this was the cheapest I found: https://www.calssportingarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CAADVSR

What I did for my long range "pseudo-sniper" AR was the following:

DPMS 24" bull barrel upper 1-9 twist (no forward assist, or port cover) $413 Midway (only thing I don't particularly like is it's chambered for .223 VS 5.56)
(Stag now makes a varmint upper chambered in 5.56)

Simmons White tail classic 6.5-20x50 $99 Midway

Harris 9-13" swivel bi-pod with LaRue mount $170ish LaRue (this will go back & forth between my Stag carbine and DPMS upper)

The above mentioned CAA rings will go on my DPMS once I get the LT SPR-E. The scope on the 24" will likely not ever come off so QD isn't needed, but on my carbine I'll use the DMS-1 and Eotech, so QD is needed.

I use the same lower for both uppers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IIRC this was the cheapest I found: https://www.calssportingarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CAADVSR

What I did for my long range "pseudo-sniper" AR was the following:

DPMS 24" bull barrel upper 1-9 twist (no forward assist, or port cover) $413 Midway (only thing I don't particularly like is it's chambered for .223 VS 5.56)
(Stag now makes a varmint upper chambered in 5.56)

Simmons White tail classic 6.5-20x50 $99 Midway

Harris 9-13" swivel bi-pod with LaRue mount $170ish LaRue (this will go back & forth between my Stag carbine and DPMS upper)

The above mentioned CAA rings will go on my DPMS once I get the LT SPR-E. The scope on the 24" will likely not ever come off so QD isn't needed, but on my carbine I'll use the DMS-1 and Eotech, so QD is needed.

I use the same lower for both uppers.
Hey AJ, are these rings high enough? I shouldnt need anything higher right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Laz, I don't think you should get the DMS. I don't think you'll like it.

Plus, that is just one less that is available for me! :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. Some scopes have a 30mm tube (like the DMS-1), others have a 1" tube. Since the rings are built-in to the mount, you buy accordingly.

I have one AR with the DMS-1 in the 30mm mount and another with a Mueller 3-10x44 Tac II in the 1" mount. They're excellent mounts, especially for the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe, the scope started hitting the handguard and I didnt lift it onto the guard.
Yeah, when I had a scope on my first AR, I had to use 1" high rings. The objective end should be nearly in line with the charging handle in order to get good eye relief and to be shooting normally at the same time. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, when I had a scope on my first AR, I had to use 1" high rings. The objective end should be nearly in line with the charging handle in order to get good eye relief and to be shooting normally at the same time. :)
Yea I'm definitely going to need some new rings if and when I change the scope out. This was just temporary but I do want to try it out at the range before I take it off. Its a little $30 scope though, I dont know what the recoil will do to it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts