AR15 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up one of the $550 CMMG rifles and very happy with it.

However, as a first time AR owner I'm faced with the question of optics. I have to be honest, I have the cash to pick up a more expensive red dot, but I am inclined to go with iron sites for this rifle (carry handle perhaps?). Does anyone on here just use iron sites for their rifle?

If so, any suggestions for a quality, reasonably priced (notice, didn't say cheap) option for iron sites? I don't think BUIS are the right option as this would be more permanent.

Maybe on my next AR I'll pick up some optics, but would appreciate any help.

Like how about these?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/UTG_Removable_AR15_M16_adjustable_Rear_Sight.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I picked up one of the $550 CMMG rifles and very happy with it.

However, as a first time AR owner I'm faced with the question of optics. I have to be honest, I have the cash to pick up a more expensive red dot, but I am inclined to go with iron sites for this rifle (carry handle perhaps?). Does anyone on here just use iron sites for their rifle?

If so, any suggestions for a quality, reasonably priced (notice, didn't say cheap) option for iron sites? I don't think BUIS are the right option as this would be more permanent.

Maybe on my next AR I'll pick up some optics, but would appreciate any help.
When I bought my AR I decided to shoot irons until I was comfortable with them, that was some time ago and I just bought my first optic last week

40-45

check out this thread

BUIS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing wrong with iron sites. Some people can shoot irons just as accurately as anything else. I shot irons exlusively up unitil about 2 years ago.

Scopes will help you identify targets, and red dots may be faster, but niether will make you more accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually given that it's your first AR, I'd say go with a BUIS (buy once kinda thing) because it is an iron sight after all.. and learn to shoot with that accurately (about 300m is a good effective range with the AR irons) for a while and then you'll have a better feel for the weapon, how you plan to utilize it and that alone will help with an optic selection down the road.

The A2 sight like you linked to isn't a bad choice, similar to the chopped carry handle result that you can see in some other threads. Another option to look at is the Troy BUIS and even the ARMS #40L-SP (Low profile, Same Plane through either appature) They function exactly like the one you linked to but fold down out of the way for both storage and when using an optic. I prefer the Troy over the ARMS, but have both and have no complaints in the accuracy department with either.

Troy: http://www.troyind.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=42

ARMS #40L-SP: http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=81

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running basically the same sight on my RRA coyote rifle just RRA version of it. The RRA version uses two socket headed cap-screws rather than the single knob to clamp to the rail. Make the sight a little bit cleaner looking on the gun but the functional it is the same.

With a standard front sight it will work just fine. I have shoot a 7.5 inch 10-shot group at 300yds with the sights over a bench and in 3-gun matches shot Pepper Popper at 300yds and 5x7in plates at 200rds. Those sight will work just fine.

There is an improved battle zero that works really well with standard AR iron sights. Set the rear sight 2MOA (2 clicks on many sight some sights its 4 clicks) below the 300m mark and sight in point of aim at 200m using the front sight elevation adjustment. You will be right on at 50yds and 200m and when you come up on the dial on the rear sight to 300m you will be on target at that range and on up to the 600m mark. Close enough for "combat" use at least.

I don't like BUIS for primary sights because most do not have elevation adjustment on the rear sight. You sight in for one range using the front sight for elevation adjustment and that is it. I have already in one 3-gun match reached up and set my rear sight to a different setting to deal with long range targets.

Rambling
mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought my first ar and im using the irons untill i can both afford/choose an optic and be comfortable with the irons. im using a arms 40 L rear took me awhile to figure out how to shoot with the sights i was really unaccurate i was kinda pissed but little practice and im def. getting the hang of it couple more range trips and i'll be where i want to be with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firstly, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of ARs!

As an inactive Jarhead, you can probably guess what I'm going to say, but here goes anyway.

Master your iron sites first. Don't even start looking at optics until you can regularly hit what your aiming at in varying distances and weather conditions (especially windy days). I've kept a log over time that I refer to on days that are windy that can help me get my "dope" on days that I've shot on in similar conditions.

In fact, I've been shooting ARs (or more accurately, M-16s) since 1983, and I just bought my first Eotech this year. It's mounted upon a Dominator II, so I can easily co-witness through the Eotech even when it's off (or damaged, dead batteries or etc.).

It's too easy to become reliant upon the optic and if you have a failure of some type, you know (Murphy's Law) that it will happen at the worst possible time.

That said, take a deep breath when looking for ammo. It's skyrocketed in the last couple of years...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts