AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just want share my other AR that I use for long distance shooting, DPMS Sweet 16 w/ stainless bull barrel..all shots at a 100yds with blackhills 55gr..I know it can be better but its good for now..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice looking gun

just wondering if its for long distance why didnt you go with an 18" or 20"?
that way you can keep the velocity up and you would have less drop and wind drift at the longer distances

but either way its still a beautiful rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he did not have the 18 or 20 at the time, my goal is to get same groupings at 300yds, do you guys think its possible with 69gr bullets??
nice looking gun

just wondering if its for long distance why didnt you go with an 18" or 20"?
that way you can keep the velocity up and you would have less drop and wind drift at the longer distances

but either way its still a beautiful rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some would say that 100 yards is not long distance. I always tell them that we'll both start running, and after 100yards, we'll know if it's a long distance or not.:p

Seriously, 100 yards, even with a 16 inch barrel, is not that far when you look at the capabilities of the cartridge. That little peep sight flips to the side marked 300, and things can start to get interesting for the iron sight shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called one of the gunshop and he has an 18" rock river varmiter!!man I'm I in trouble or what??!!I can get the RRA trigger for $116 but its still 16" barrel..what to do what to do??..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well really odds are the 16 will be just as good for 300 yards and less. i wasnt saying you made a bad choice on what weapon you got. if your really happy with the set up you have keep it. and if yours does have a 2 stage trigger i would stay with that. i bought the RRA trigger and it is GREAT but i was going from a really heavy single stage so if i i had a 2 stage i doubt i would have noticed much differnce.
i have an 18" CMMG upper. but i would be just as happy with a 16 inch but i am very happy with my 18" i couldnt deside between 16 and 20 and they had an 18" and it was the perfect compromise

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm curious what your chamber is too. I looked at RRA and the bull barreled rifles all said ".223 remington". I always wondered if I should have given them another look. I wanted to be able to shoot 5.56 in mine so i moved on not thinking it could have been a wylde chamber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a 5.56 chamber and if i were to do it again i would go for a 223 or the whylde chamber
since i have shot about 10 rounds of 5.56 the hole time ive had it and from what i have read the 223 rem chamber is more accurate then the 5.56

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mine says 5.56 on the lower receiver..
i'm curious what your chamber is too. I looked at RRA and the bull barreled rifles all said ".223 remington". I always wondered if I should have given them another look. I wanted to be able to shoot 5.56 in mine so i moved on not thinking it could have been a wylde chamber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the lower doesnt really matter. what you want is whats printed on the barrel underneath the hand guards. or call dpms to find out. and you might be able to match it with the model number of your rifle and match that number to whats on their website

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking rifle. :cool:

I am working on a similar setup. Mine is a DSC 20" flutted with 1 in 8 twist (it was recommended that I use a 1 in 8 twist for a heavier bullet, to get a little more range stability). I am using a single stage Jard trigger (I like light pull triggers).

I don't have mine together yet, but will post when I do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice rifle vikz. I have been pondering putting my economic stimulus $$ toward a DPMS Sweet 16, but as of now I am leaning toward other items. We shall see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh sorry i was talking about my RRA..and i can't find the twist on the barrel of the RRA
the lower doesnt really matter. what you want is whats printed on the barrel underneath the hand guards. or call dpms to find out. and you might be able to match it with the model number of your rifle and match that number to whats on their website

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
errr... in my post above I meant to say I would have looked at DPMS more if they were a Wylde chamber instead of .223 remington.

My fault. I was thinking one thing while trying to type about something else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts