AR15 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bushmaster XM-15 A3 i want to put a sight on it. what should I get.

EO Tech or Aimpoint

I heard they are both good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You really need to look through them first. I find the simplistic single dot of an Aimpoint works very well but the speed of the big ring on an EOTech is very cool. I really think the new Aimpoint micro is one of the coolest things out now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought both when I bought my AR 2 years ago. I found that I can get on target faster with the EOTech.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are great.....but you need to look thru each and see which you prefer.

get both :twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have to say EoTech but the Aimpoint is pretty good, too. I like the smaller dot on the former. My preference is for the ACOG TA-45-6. I don't like batteries on sights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to say EoTech but the Aimpoint is pretty good, too. I like the smaller dot on the former. My preference is for the ACOG TA-45-6. I don't like batteries on sights.
Hmmm... ACOG huh?? You always did like that expensive stuff!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have both, and they are both great. However, if I had to choose just one, it might have to be Eotech. But also, you really can't go wrong with either.

Advantages of Eotech:

- Eotechs are faster. That 65 MOA outer ring makes it easy to naturally place on target and his very fast. Nothing is faster.

- Eotech is cheaper. A Eotech 512 will run you about $350. A Aimpoint ML2 will run you about $480 (with mount).

- Eotech is more precise. The 1 MOA center dot of the Eotech is great for long range precision work. The 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoint will flood targets past 100 yards. Not a big deal if you are use to irons, and guys can still be accurate with irons, but I like my site to be smaller than my target.

- Eotechs is easier to use in the bright sunlight. Even if your Aimpoint has the 4 MOA dot, it takes a little extra concentration to see the dot, while it takes no effort to see the 65 MOA ring of the Eotech.

- Eotech has larger Field of View. This is nit pick as both are suppose be used with both eyes open, so Field of View is not an issue.

- Eotech you do not have to be inline. This is another nit pick. Both have infinite eye relief, but with the Eotech you can be off to the side a little and still be able to use it. With Aimpoint you have to be directly behind it like a magnified scope.

Advantages of Aimpoint:

- Aimpoint has Long Battery Life. You can leave the Aimpioint on for a whole year before the battery runs out (5 years if you have the M3 or ML3). You could throw the gun in the back crew cab of your truck and forget about it, or turn it on before you go to bed and it will be ready to go at any time. Eotech says 1100 hours, but I don't know about that as I already have changed the battery on my Eotech twice and I don't even leave it on for extended period of time.

- Aimpoint Looks better. Nothing looks better on an M4 than an Aimpoint.... If you don't count ACOGs ;)

- Aimpoint is more water resitant. Eotech claims water proof to 10 feet. Aimpoint claims 75 feet. I have not thrown either in the water to confirm this.

- Aimpoint is more rugged. This is arguable, but the Aimpoint just appears to be better built. Eotech appears it could be taken out with one good bang while I can't see any way to take out an Aimpoint.

Once you get use to one, it would be harder to like the other one. For me I switch frequently between the 2 so I am not really locked into just one. Good to be proficient in everything you possibly can, because when the SHTF, you never know what you are going to be stuck with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find it hard to drop that much cash on either....:(

But I like eotech better:cool:
I like the battery life and durability of the Aimpoint but the reticle of the EO thingy it'd be nice if Aimpoint would offer a similar reticle for the M series.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have both and both are great. I like both if I had to choose just one, it might have to be Eotech. But you really can't go wrong with either.

Advantages of Eotech:

- Eotechs are faster. That 65 MOA outer ring makes it easy to naturally place on target and his very fast. Nothing is faster.

- Eotech is cheaper. A Eotech 512 will run you about $350. A Aimpoint ML2 will run you about $480 (with mount).

- Eotech is more precise. The 1 MOA center dot of the Eotech is great for long range precision work. The 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoint will flood targets past 100 yards. Not a big deal if you are use to irons, and guys can still be accurate with irons, but I like my site to be smaller than my target.

- Eotechs is easier to use in the bright sunlight. Even if your Aimpoint has the 4 MOA dot, it takes a little extra concentration to see the dot, while it takes no effort to see the 65 MOA ring of the Eotech.

- Eotech has larger Field of View. This is nit pick as both are suppose be used with both eyes open, so Field of View is not an issue.

- Eotech you do not have to be inline. This is another nit pick. Both have infinate eye relief, but with the Eotech you can be off to the side a little and still be able to use it. With Aimpoint you have to be directly behind it like a magnified scope.

Advantages of Aimpoint:

- Aimpoint has Long Battery Life. You can leave the Aimpioint on for a whole year before the battery runs out (5 years if you have the M3 or ML3). You could throw the gun in the crew cab of your truck and forget about it, or turn it on before you go to bed and it will be ready to go at any time. Eotech says 1100 hours, but I don't know about that as I have already changed the battery on my Eotech twice and I don't even leave it on for extended period of time.

- Aimpoint Looks better. Nothing looks better on an M4 than an Aimpoint.... If you don't count ACOGs ;)

- Aimpoint is more water resitant. Eotech claims water proof to 10 feet. Aimpoint claims 75 feet. I have not thrown either in the water to confirm this.

- Aimpoint is more rugged. This is arguable, but the Aimpoint just appears to be better built. Eotech appears it could be taken out with one good bang while I can't see any way to take out an Aimpoint.

Once you are use to one, it would be harder to like the other one. For me I switch a lot between the 2 so I am not really locked into just one. Good to be proficient in everything you possibly can because when the SHTF, you never know what you are going to be stuck with.
What he said ... to the last period. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the EOTech a while back and never looked back. It does have the battery shut-off, so that hasn't been an issue. I have swapped the batteries (N type) twice in two years. I always keep some spares and rotate the oldest out first.

As for shooting; in the close range drills, nothing is faster than the EOTech. The 65moa outer allows your eyes to place good shots quickly. With the 1moa center, I have consistently put 1.5~2.0" 5-shot groups from 100yds using my 16" RRA on a sandbag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the EOtech on my PS90 - and, I just ordered another for an CX4 Storm I will be getting in a month or two.

I have the N Battery version - and while I like the idea of longer battery life with the 512 AA battery model - I decided to keep the same model - to simplify battery issues. So, I have another 511 on the way.

I like the reticle much more than a standard red dot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a BYW .. put my LaRue Po'Boy magnifier behind an EOT 553 today and we were dropping 1.5MOA groups at 200m shooting up hill today.. talk about the killer setup. I liked it so much I'm seriously debating selling my AP and getting another 552 and Po'Boy setup!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts