AR15 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....here's my question with some explaination first. This is for anyone that owns or has used an Eotech, and particularly those that own both Aimpoint and Eotech. I've found that the red dot in my Aimpoint gets a little blurred/distorted because of the vision in my right eye (with corrective lenses in place). It's not a problem with a pistol (or at close distances with the AR), but is a little bothersome when shooting the AR at 50 yards and beyond. I'm wondering if the Eotech would be easier for me to see? I was thinking that the circle/dot reticle might be more defined, or at least easier for me to pick out the center dot with the circle surrounding it. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Nope.

I've not used an aimpoint, but I have used the eotech. I'm sure that any sight with no magnification will not help poor eyesight.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.

I've not used an aimpoint, but I have used the eotech. I'm sure that any sight with no magnification will not help poor eyesight.
It's actually not the magnification I'm concerned about, it's the clarity of the reticle itself. I have trouble at longer distances because the dot looks something like an asymmetrical starburst. I just have trouble determining where the actual dot is, and I often see a somewhat blurry "ghost" dot. That's what throws me off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
My eotech is very blurry if I don't have my contacts or glasses on. The circle/dot makes it one very big red blotch for me. My barska red dot is blurry but no where near as bad as the eotech

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure you already know this, but just throwing it out...if you're looking at the dot, it'll appear blurry even if you have perfect vision. If you're looking "through" the dot at the target, which is the proscribed method, it should be fine. But try before you buy.
It works fine if your vision is perfect/have correct lenses on, but not w/o. I can have correct lenses on and look at the eotech/red dot reticle and it will still be 1000000000 times clearer than if I look through the reticle at the target w/o correct lenses on.

It's actually not the magnification I'm concerned about, it's the clarity of the reticle itself. I have trouble at longer distances because the dot looks something like an asymmetrical starburst. I just have trouble determining where the actual dot is, and I often see a somewhat blurry "ghost" dot. That's what throws me off.
Did you try turning down the brightness some? The reticle will "flare" up if it's to bright for the condition.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
my eyes arent BAD, (dont have a restriction on my drivers license) but they are bad enough to make an eotech reticle unusable without corrective lenses on. thats just one reason in a long list of why i prefer aimpoints.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Got it, but I don't think the sights where designed to be really effective at distance anyway. I have uncorrected astigmatism in the eye I sight with. The eotech isn't very good after 100 yards for me. In fact the iron sights are better for me at that distance. Beyond that I'm pretty much guessing without magnification. Better eyesight would help a lot I'm sure. But as posted above, the dot or holo will not be really sharp even with good vision. Maybe the aimpoint is better as suggested, but I've not tried it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
The Eotech will probably look worse. It doesn't work at all with people who have an astigmatism. The Eotech reticle will REALLY be messed up.

The Eotech is a holosight - it differs a bit from a red dot.

U must have good long distance vision, as the reticle is projected to infinity. I have to wear my stronger prescription glasses when I shoot my PS90 with the Eotech. This makes my distance vision better (I wear glasses that are a little weaker for everyday use, or I get a headache). Without the stronger prescription, the Eotech reticle is fuzzy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with my Aimpoint for now. I'm going to a carbine class in a couple of weeks, odds are fairly good that someone will have an Eotech I can try. My only thinking was that the circle might make target acquisition a little easier. We shall see....no pun intended;) Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
The Eotech will probably look worse. It doesn't work at all with people who have an astigmatism. The Eotech reticle will REALLY be messed up.

The Eotech is a holosight - it differs a bit from a red dot.

U must have good long distance vision, as the reticle is projected to infinity. I have to wear my stronger prescription glasses when I shoot my PS90 with the Eotech. This makes my distance vision better (I wear glasses that are a little weaker for everyday use, or I get a headache). Without the stronger prescription, the Eotech reticle is fuzzy.
I have the same problem my Holosight is no better or worse than a Aimpoint for me as I have to look through the sight and slightly close my left eye to get any sight picture. this also rules out any sights that use the BAC system as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts