Evolution of the modern Semiautomatic | AR15 Forums

Evolution of the modern Semiautomatic

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by agalindo, Dec 10, 2008.

1. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This a quote from the article title above. The Evolution of the Modern Semi-Automatic

Pretty interesting:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. XDONBOARD

XDONBOARD Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I already have the disease, get your dope away from me.

3. nalioth

nalioth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It still [​IMG] where it eats.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. So Flo

So Flo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I assume referring to the gas operating system dumping dirty gas back into the bolt, etc.

The word he left out was '$h!ts' between still and where!

6. rudy64

rudy64 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    noob alert:rolleyes:

Would someone please tell me their own experiences when dealing with stock handguards vs. free floating one. Is there really THAT MUCH of a difference, or is it that same type of argument when someone uses such and such ammo because it's 2 fps more than the other brand of ammo (or the 9mm vs. .45 debate:twisted:)?

:confused:

7. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No argument there, just noted that when you go to piston and rod you lose accuracy.

To me having gas directed into the bolt carrier group is no biggie. Hey, my ARs have no problem with jams while shooting three gun and service rifle matches. If I ever have to use it in a SD situation I doubt I'll be rolling around in the dirt shooting hundreds of rounds.

8. Carnivorous

Carnivorous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So are you saying that the M16/AR-15 is more accurate than the M14/M1A?

9. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want an accurate AR for varmint shooting, or target shooting where 1 or 1/2 moa difference is important, it's best to go with a free float tube. If your just plinking and such no.

10. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not saying that. The article and the NRA match results are saying it.

11. nalioth

nalioth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A picture is worth 1000 words.

12. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you clean it, it doesnt really matter where it takes a crap.

13. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll also add that if you are going to do the varmint shooting route and want the ultimate in accuracy, get the upper chambered in .223, at least 20" Heavy barrel (HBAR for extended shooting at longer ranges), 1/9 twist to stabilize the lighter bullets and stay away from chrome lined bores.

:D

14. thehinge

thehinge Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for posting this. Eugene Stoner was very aware of piston-rod systems when he designed the AR.

15. HTOWN stunna

HTOWN stunna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i would actually venture to say that its not really the rifle, but the shooter. At a local high power match a Border partol agent with a 14.5 inch M4 out shot almost everybody with their 1500 dollar customized Ar's. the rifle does matter but if the shooter is a great shot that matters also. i can take a customized 2000 dollar AR and not shoot worth a damn because i am not the best shot.
    [​IMG]

lol que huevotes tienes lol

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  16. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's another quote from the article. Considering the distance, and the winner shooting a bolt action with a scope the Wimbledon winner and the Farr Trophy winner were not too far apart.

17. Jmanwit

Jmanwit Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Serio! LOL

18. The DRis

The DRis Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't want a 1/2 MOA gun at 100yds. I want to be able to hit a man sized target at 100yds. If that is 2-3 MOA that is fine with me. But I want reliability not accuracy.

19. agalindo

agalindo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing is I'm not taking my ARs to war. I use for for home defense and competition. Neither of these scenarios require me to stay in a firefight for 48 hours in the sand at 120 degrees.

We are comparing Apples to Oranges here. I'm talking about competition AR15s, and home defense you're talking military m16s, and militias.

20. The DRis

The DRis Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dude, read what you posted...

"The M16 is the most accurate rifle the U.S. has ever issued."

It is talking about issued rifles. Yes accuracy is nice, but a piston would make it more reliable. And the accuracy would not be thrown off by that much.