AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched over from Remington to Wolf for price reasons recently. Before I had no problems with my Bushmaster with PMags. First weekend with Wolfs was ok had a couple no feeds but overall I was happy. Now all of sudden with Wolf's it seems to be hit or miss on feeding it into the chamber. I have to cycle the charging handle almost every time. I tried a different mag, same results. I tried loading 10 Wolfs and then 10 Remis in the same Mag. Shot all 10 Remis no problem, when it got to the first Wolf, click, no bang, empty chamber...:confused: So...I belive it's a Wolf problem. I clean my rifle every weekend after shooting it. I know the Wolfs have a coating on them. Would this cause them not to feed? What about lubing the Magazine itself? They're about two months old.This may sound riduculous but, lubing the bullets?? (Load magazine and then drop some lube on top and let it trickle down?)I have found a local gun shop that sells Wolf pretty cheap and I bought 500rds. So I'd like to keep shotting them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wolf ammo has a bad reputation for being "laquer" coated to cut down on corrosion. What you are getting is a build-up of the laquer in your chamber causing the feed issues. Clean your chamber, with a chamber brush and carburator cleaner. Lube with some CLP, wipe clean and you should be ok.
I might suggest doing a search either here or on AR15.com for Wolf ammo and see the issues with this ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take another brand... put them side by side... then feel with you fingernail the sharp rear of the casing... it has a very sharp edge??? I was told this sharp edge migh be snagging and causing lots of issues with 45 ACP and others> Dont know, but it is an iteresting idea? Thanks, Buzz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it is not the lacquer that is depositing in your chamber, its carbon fouling. Scrub the chamber good and reliability will return. The steel cases dont expand to seal the chamber like brass does which allows the fouling to build up around the case. Also make sure you are cleaning the bolt & Carrier well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since everything works with the same mag, the same rifle, and the only thing different is the ammo, then you are correct it is indeed a Wolf problem. But there are some things you can do to get this to work.

1) Is it past break in? How many rounds through your rifle? In general Wolf is underpowered and for break in, it is recommended normally you shoot hotter rounds.

2) Chamber dirty maybe? You said you clean your rifle regularly but have you given the chamber a good scrub down? The chamber area is where the brass sits and is bigger in diameter than the rest of the rifle. The under powered Wolf means weaker jection and this could cause the next round not to properly feed. A cleaner chamber might help.

3) Another thing you can do is try a different mags, yeah I know your PMags work with Remi, but maybe the spring in it is too weak for the underpowered Wolf?

4) Bad batch of Wolf maybe? I normally don't have problems with Wolf, but you never know, sometimes you can get a bad batch where it is too hot or too weak. This goes for all ammo. Try another batch of Wolf or try that particuliar Wolf in another rifle to see if it works. If that ammo has the same problem in another rifle maybe you could contact Wolf and ask for an exchange.

FYI: The word is Wolf tends to shoot dirtier than brass ammo as the steel case does not expand to creat a seal like brass does. I don't know how true this is but it seems to make sense to me since I have found Wolf does indeed shoot dirtier and my chamber does indeed get filthy when I shoot Wolf.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bite the bullet and run brass through my AR. Wolf is great for AKs but I hear way too many people say it won't run through their AR. I'm sitting on 2K rounds of it in 223 for my AK in that caliber, but I stock brass ammo for my AR separately. The AR is so much more accurate, it's hard for me to marginalize that to save a little bit of cash.

As for your issue, I would suspect that the combination of the weaker ammo and some gas port/tube fouling from the dirty-burning Wolf means less forceful cycling (short-stroking). If you want to keep using wolf you might have to look into a lighter spring or buffer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this same problem last week. Shot 20 rounds of Remington fine and got around 20 rounds of Wolf down range before it started to act up. I could not get one round of Wolf to feed, I constantly had to pull the charging handle to feed another round. I then got a case stuck and had to push it out with a cleaning rod. I tried Remington again with no problems what-so-ever. I thought it might be a mag problem and tried a few different mags with the same problem. I did notice they weren't as hot as the Remington's and if the steel doesn't expand to make a tight seal, am I losing gas that would be used to push the bolt carrier back?? I clean my gun after every outing and just did a thorough cleaning before this happened...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your rifle either likes Wolf or it does'nt.

Word is if you have a chamber that is within spec, then you will have no problem with Wolf, but if you chamber is out of spec, then it will have issues.

My XCR has problems cycling Wolf too. But at least with the XCR, I can increase the gas pressure to get it to cycle properly. You can't do this with an AR.

Good news is there is never a shortage of Wolf users so you can easily sell your ammo if your rifle does not like it.

Dam... I just sold an upper that reliably eats Wolf up to. Maybe I should have kept it for an extra plinker :|

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought it used, it's a post ban from 2001. So I think it's past break in.(I know I've put 700 through it.) I have shot Wolf through it before with marginal problems. But today I had to cycle it every other time. The rounds that I was using today came from a different shop, so maybe it was a weaker load. I saw on AR15.com that has been an issue with them. I'll give Wolf a call tomm to see waht they say. As far as cleaning I think I do a pretty job but I'll be really thorough this time around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wolf has an unconditional performance guarantee. If it doesn't work, they;ll buy it back, or you can find someone that does use it and has no problems with it to buy it from you. Some say that wolf is "underpowered", and will short stroke some AR's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Working at a range, I commonly see Wolf 223 sticking in the chamber of many AR's. After shooting a few mags, your chamber gets incredibly hot and if you leave a round in the chamber for more than a few seconds it will melt the coating and essentialy glue the round into the chamber. This is not the case with all AR's though. As has been said already, some AR's will eat anything, some are picky about ammo.

Most of the time the gun will fire and fail miserably to move the bolt back at all. On occasion I see the bolt rip the edge of the shoulder off the casing and sometimes I see broken extractors from this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like Eric said, it's hit or miss for some folks. Is it the lacquer (green) coated or polymer (gray) coated? The only problem I've had using Wolf was FTF but that was a mag issue. Wolf should take it back and refund you or swap it with the newer polymer coated.

Here's Bushmaster's advisory on Wolf. I'd contact them and let them know your having problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Working at a range, I commonly see Wolf 223 sticking in the chamber of many AR's. After shooting a few mags, your chamber gets incredibly hot and if you leave a round in the chamber for more than a few seconds it will melt the coating and essentially glue the round into the chamber.
This has been gone over a thousand times already, but the coating is not the culprit, the steel case is: The Box O' Truth - Educational Zone #18 - Shooting Wolf steel-cased Ammo in an AR15

This is not the case with all AR's though.
If you want to know if your rifle will shoot wolf, you'll just have to try it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got home from my 2nd try with Wolf and it worked fine....for the most part. I shot 60 rounds with no problems what-so-ever, very happy. I then let my AR sit and cool and tried another mag just to make sure. The first two rounds were failure-to-feed but then it took off with no more problems. I'll keep using it but will use Remington for three-gun matches for peace of mind...Good link spamlovr and don't mean to hijack the thread from the author...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called Wolf today to explain my issue, before I could finish the girl said that they were aware of the problem. And if I left my name and number somone would call me back!!! Well they did call back and apparantely the rounds are underpowered, not enough pressure to cycle the bolt. They said they'd either give a refund or exchange them with Military Classic. I opted for the exchange. IMO..seems good customer sevice!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called Wolf today to explain my issue, before I could finish the girl said that they were aware of the problem. And if I left my name and number somone would call me back!!! Well they did call back and apparantely the rounds are underpowered, not enough pressure to cycle the bolt. They said they'd either give a refund or exchange them with Military Classic. I opted for the exchange. IMO..seems good customer sevice!!!!
yeah Wolf has excellent customer service. On the FAL Files I have heard of an incident where a rilfe blew up with .308 Wolf, and Wolf refunded the cost of the rifle no questions asked!

I think even the underpowered stuff will work in particuliar rifles that has true NATO chamber spec. That is great Wolf is replacing the ammo with no questions asked. For me, if a rifle can't shoot Wolf, then it is not a rifle worth owning. I even shoot Wolf through my Noveske N4, guys tell me I am crazy, but the way I see it, if I paid that much for a rifle, it better be able to handle any ammo I give it. I don't believe in safe queens. The day I start collecting safe queens is the day I will give up guns and take up stamp collecting instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On another note, I have never heard of LMT, Colt, Noveske, and before this thread, Bushmaster having problems with Wolf. All these top tier companies have NATO chambering and is probably has better QC.

Rifles I have heard having problems with Wolf are Stag, DPMS, and RRA. I am guessing these guys don't have NATO spec chamber or that they if they claimed to, their chambers are out of spec.

So another reason to pay extra and get a Colt, LMT, or Noveske :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I spoke to them they asked what brand rifle and barrel length I had. So they must be taking note of what and where its not working.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts