AR15 Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Who are you asking this question to, and where did you see this written in this topic like you have stated. The closest thing I can find is from Hooz, but if you re-read what he said, "The upper is at my DEALER's ready to go", which would mean he's not in possession of a short barrel at this time. If it's not been assembled into a gun at any point, he's not broken the law that I know of. You have to own the serialized number part to, well, know what serial number to register.
That is correct. My dealer has taken delivery of the SBR upper. I have the lower completed here (with the required engraving). The two can never meet to become a completed gun until my stamp gets here.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Well, I started the paperwork in June or July, but it's finally together. I still don't have iron sights so I threw on a red dot I had, and I think I'll put on a better flash hider but you get the idea. I'll take better pics when it stops being 60 degrees outside and gets back down to normal.
Who are you asking this question to, and where did you see this written in this topic like you have stated.
It is the first post, quoted above, with a picture, which is worth a thousand words. Instead of just going off half cocked (I love using that term in a gun forum!:p), I thought I would ask the questions I asked to get clarification. If I'm wrong, and that is not a picture of an assembled SBR in the OP's possession without the proper tax stamp, then I'm the same a$$hole I've always been, and I can live with that.;);)
If it's not been assembled into a gun at any point, he's not broken the law that I know of. You have to own the serialized number part to, well, know what serial number to register.
I thought an NFA Dealer/FFL held onto the NFA part until the process was completed?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
So let me see if I have this straight, because curiosity and my limited knowledge of NFA rules is making me itch in a way I can't scratch on my own.

You have sent in the app., and the BATFE has cashed the check, but you don't have the stamp yet, but you have a complete SBR that is assembled without a tax stamp? Isn't that bad juju? If so, why are you advertising the fact you broke federal law?
It is the first post, quoted above, with a picture, which is worth a thousand words.

Thanks in advance.
That's my gun and it's my thread, so I guess you're referencing me? I live by the letter of the law, so no, I would never assemble or own a complete SBR without the stamp. Maybe you're mixing up my post with Hooz, who is waiting quite impatiently for his stamp to arrive? :D

I got my stamp in about 30 days, it was the upper I was waiting so long for. And for the record, you can have whatever SBR parts you want laying around as long as you can't build a complete rifle. It doesn't matter if it's the registered receiver or the barrel or whatever is missing. In fact, you'd probably be on pretty good defensive ground if you had everything but it wasn't assembled, i.e. you still had to headspace the barrel and torque everything together. What you definitely DON'T want to do is have a complete upper and a complete lower without a stamp, even if they're not assembled. That's bad news if you get caught.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
It is the first post, quoted above, with a picture, which is worth a thousand words. Instead of just going off half cocked (I love using that term in a gun forum!:p), I thought I would ask the questions I asked to get clarification. If I'm wrong, and that is not a picture of an assembled SBR in the OP's possession without the proper tax stamp, then I'm the same a$$hole I've always been, and I can live with that.;);)
I thought an NFA Dealer/FFL held onto the NFA part until the process was completed?

Thanks in advance.
In the first post, it said the paperwork was started in June or July, but it doesn't say that he isn't approved now, but since I am just a bystander in this I'll let him answer for himself if he wants to. If the forms were submitted in June and July, I would be VERY suprised to find out that he doesn't have the paperwork in hand, or an explanation as to why he won't. It only takes about 7 weeks give or take for the application process to be completed door to door. But again, I'll let him answer your question if he wishes as I don't have a dog in that fight.

In the bottom of your paragraph that I've highlighted in bold, I believe it's possible to start out with a stripped lower and be perfectly legal to own it and be in possession of it because until the NFA cancels the stamp, it is a regular lower until that part. I believe you have your forms or information mixed up.

No SOT dealer is required to be used to assemble (make) an SBR (or silencer for that matter if you wanted) on a form 1 from my understanding, but if you're in possession of the lower, it'll already be "registered" in a sense to you through the form 4473 just like any other gun you pick up from a dealer, but you are correct in the assumption you made that you can't assemble the parts until you have the form 1 in hand.

And as for you being an a@@hole, those are your words and not mine, but I believe you have your forms mixed up and your facts are not straight. At least on what an SOT will have to hold onto.

An SOT will have to hold onto some items that have already been registered through the NFA and being transferred to you on Form 4's and such, but if you noticed, the OP said he built it, which would mean quite simply, he should've used a two of each 5320.1, 5330.20, and FD-258's ;)

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Sorry for trying to jump in there ahead of you Polymerhead, we were typing at the same time.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.