AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is . . . I feel a lot different now.

I had been mulling over buying a new gun. I couldnt decide on what I wanted, AR, Mini-14, AK-47, etc.

I decided to go with an AR-15 due to the vast array of options and accessories for them. Which brand, or brands, was a tough one to decide on.

I have been reading articles for the past week or so on this stuff and today, I made my decision. After a call to a local tactical gun boutique, Ad-Tek, and speaking with the armorer there who builds custom weapons, I decided to go in and check out their wares. I am glad I did!

MEGA Lower Reciever

I purchased a MEGA "Gator" lower, DPMS single stage trigger kit and a magazine. I was given a nice tour of the difference between the MEGA and some other brand lowers and I have to say I was very impressed!

Holding it right next to a Stag Arms lower, the machining on this MEGA just simply eclipses the Stag. Nice clean machining with NO TOOL MARKS anywhere. Clean square broaching in the magwell area with absolutely no marks. Clean, simply clean!

The dark finish on this MEGA lower is fantastic. Not as "smooth satin" of a finish as most, but it looks more like the melonite finish on my XD pistol. No blemishes anywhere.

When the metal magazine is inserted, there is no slop at all like there was on the Stag lower. The mag is in there nice and tight and clicks in with authority.

I wish I had a camera that I could take some closeups of the machining of this lower for those that have not checked out a MEGA. Here is a link to some info/review of the MEGA "Gator" lower .

The lower build was pretty dang easy! The hardest part was getting the bolt catch installed. That little freakin' roll pin is a biotch to get onto without scratching your reciever. To complete the lower assembly, I added a 6 position collapsible stock assembly with reciever tube and buffer assembly and a Hogue grip.

MEGA Upper Reciever
Second phase of this build finds me with a matching MEGA A3 flat top upper reciever. Fit is perfect! No need for accuwedge because there is NO MOVEMENT between upper and lower.
Completing the upper reciever was just as easy as the lower. I purchased a Bravo Company BCM bolt carrier group from Ad-Tek, charging handle, forward assist assembly and an ejection port door assembly.

I also added a BUIS to the top rail of the upper assembly.

Barrel assembly
Back to Ad-Tek again. This time I got my CMMG 1:7 twist 16" midlength gas barrel. It has chrome lined chamber and bore with the M4 feed ramps. Fully parkerized exterior under FSB. I opted to have no front sight post as I also purchased the Yankee Hill Machine flip front sight/gas block combo. I have also purchased Yankee Hill Machine lightweight tactical four rail free float tube. I wanted the solid machined tube style float tube, but it is not made specifically for a mid length barrel. I didnt want the longer tube on the gun so I went with a Tacticool four rail type. Guess it will come in handy for a Tac light later on.

To dress up the four rail tube I have ordered Magpul XTC rail covers and the Yankee Hill Machine free float tube end cap.

On the tip of the threaded barrel I have a standard GI type flash suppressor. I saw no need to spend another $20 on a Phantom.

Last item I have ordered is a good 2 point sling.

Optics
None at the moment. Only BUIS for the time being. Thinking on EoTech but I cannot see that kind of money for a while now. Gonna do a tac light first mounted on my four rail tacticool free float tube :)

Price List (includes tax and shipping where applicable)
- MEGA "Gator" lower reciever (stripped) $135
- MEGA A3 Flattop upper reciever (stripped) $120
- DPMS lower parts kit $60
- BCM M-15 chrome lined bolt carrier assembly complete $140
- Standard aluminum charging handle $16.00
- DPMS ejection port door assembly $10.00
- DPMS forward assist assembly $15.00
- CMMG 16" midlength barrel chrome lined/1:7 twist $265
- BCM Milspec 6 position buttstock assembly (complete with buffer spring/tube) $80.00
- UTG removeable rear iron sight (dual aperture fully adjustable) $30.00
- Yankee Hill Machine lightweight 4 rail free float handguard (mid-length size) $115
- Magpul XT rail covers $38.00
- Yankee Hill Machine flip front sight/gas block combo $97.00
- Hogue rubber grip $26.00
- Vickers 2 point combat sling $56.00
- Standard GI flash hider $7.00
- USGI Bravo Company 30 round magazine $15.00
- KNS Generation II anti-rotation pins set $35.00
- Black rubber buttstock pad $8.00

Total = $1268

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sa-weet,

I was just looking at Mega, It seems there is a lot of competition out there for lower choices. I'm glad to here from someone who actualy handled the piece and to report on the details of it.

Thanks

I was looking at Essential Arms lowers too. They are from LA. (the state not the city) at $85.00 each, I wonder about the quality... hummm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet start to an AR-15 build! :p

Keep it going till your done!

I was looking at Essential Arms lowers too. They are from LA. (the state not the city) at $85.00 each, I wonder about the quality... hummm
I have two Essential Arms lowers.

I can say they are great quality. Not perfect physical apperance, but I am not worried about seeing a tool mark here or there. Mag function is fine, not sloppy and c-products and p-mags drop free. My RRA upper fits with very little to no slop.

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a lower from Coleman Tyler. Their lowers are also made by Mega and I couldn't be happier. The finish is excellent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible to purchase a Mega online?

Google "Mega ar-15 lower" and you will see several places that carry them.

Impact Guns was one where I saw them sold. I purchased mine froma local shop Ad-Tek of Tallahassee, Adtek . They may sell over the internet as well to a licensed FFL transferee.

My lower cost me $135 and then $55 for the lower reciever parts kit (trigger kit)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang! I am almost done with my MEGA Ar-15! All that is left is a barrel assembly, gas tube and block, free float tube, bolt/carrier assembly and some sights.

Today, I had a nice USPS Priority package from Bravo Company. It contained my ejection port cover, forward assist assembly, buffer system and telescoping butt stock. All of that is now installed!! Took about 30 minutes. This has been just too easy. I may have to build another one :lol:

Ordering either the barrel or bolt group tonight. Cant afford both at once :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Megas are flawless, fit and finish. I highly recommend them.

I can get mine stealth, without the mega insignia.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how did you get the lower without the MEGA logo?

i like the logo, but no logo is very clean indeed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mega will make these to order if you buy in bulk. I have a local FFL that buys them in bulk blank.

He sells them on gunbroker as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated original post to include what else has been added. Cant wait! I should be finishing this rifle up this weekend!

Got my upper and lower action block and the tools to install the barrel and free float tube.

I should also finally have pics after this weekend!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated original post to include what else has been added. Cant wait! I should be finishing this rifle up this weekend!

Got my upper and lower action block and the tools to install the barrel and free float tube.

I should also finally have pics after this weekend!
I want pics now.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm looking to build one myself, probably not every part like you are, but what kind of money is this little project running you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want pics now.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm looking to build one myself, probably not every part like you are, but what kind of money is this little project running you?
I am going over my parts list as we speak. Willpost prices in the original post soon!

Kinda looks like its more than I originally intended but what the hey!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the talk on here makes me want to build an AR as well. I'm too afraid I'll screw something up though. Maybe after I've had some time with my DPMS (when it comes in) I'll feel better about trying it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All the talk on here makes me want to build an AR as well. I'm too afraid I'll screw something up though. Maybe after I've had some time with my DPMS (when it comes in) I'll feel better about trying it.

its pretty easy...kinda hard to screw up.

all of the answers are online, with pictures and some video's.

if youve ever built a plastic model car as a kid, or taken apart your bicycle and put it back together...you can easily build an AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have never even had an M-16 in my hands before I built this one! I was Army, but I was a tanker so I didnt get to see the M16 at all.

I could take all the parts I bought, assemble every piece and have it functioning in less than an hour if I had to do it again. Its that easy and this is the first time I have ever done it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts