AR15 Forums banner

First AR

1K views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  Badshot 
G
#1 ·
I'm looking into picking up my first AR with the tax return check. I don't plan on doing any serious shooting at the moment, but would like to improve my iron sight shooting at longer ranges (at NM distances, for example). I've got a few picked out at the local gun store: A used Colt Sporter 16" barrel (may have been Sportsman), a used Bushmaster 20" barrel (didn't get the model), and a new Bushmaster Predator, all seem to be at decent prices. My problem is coming in that I can't leave well enough alone and will probably modify any one of them.

I have heard that the Colt lowers will not accept aftermarket triggers, and I might like to upgrade later to the Timney drop-in setup. Can anyone confirm or deny this lack of upgradability?

How is the quality on the bottom end Bushmasters? As much as I'd like to spend $1200-$1500 on the Predator with a good scope, I don't think I will be able to justify spending that much on a rifle I won't shoot that often.

Thanks for any help.

G
#2 ·
If you don't want to spend a lot on a rifle to start out with, but want to upgrade, check out www.del-ton.com and get one of their rifle kits for $465. Then check out a place like www.ballisticsounds.com and get a stripped lower (Stag or DoubleStar, etc) for $100. I think you can find other lowers, like Essential Arms, for around $80ish. Anyway, the point is, you can get a complete rife for about $565. That will be a nice quality rifle, too. Then, take the other $500-700+ dollars you would spend on a Bushie or Colt and buy optics, or barrels, bi-pods, rails, BUIS, ammo, etc. ;)

G
#3 ·
You should be able to get a DPMS around $750 new. I've got one and had no problems with it. Everyone except for bushmaster owners will tell you you're paying extra for a name. Still good guns, just costly to have a snake on your gun I guess.

G
#4 ·
If you can't find the setup you're wanting out of the box, I recommend buying the individual pieces you're wanting and get a "kit" gun. In the end you'll almost certainly save money and basically have the same gun in the end.

Sorry, but can't answer the question about the Colt lower and aftermarket triggers as I'm not a Colt fan at all, but Colt does use larger pin holes in their lowers mostly. Not sure about the few commercial offerings they have/had, but I know the milspec units have larger pin holes. Commercial AR's (other than Colt) have smaller 1/4" pins

If you're stuck on the camo of the Bushmaster Predator, you can have a kit gun camo'd in exactly the same pattern and exactly the same finish type for around or under $200 if you shop around. Or you could go with something completely different too. Personally, I really like the naturalgear patterns for hunting in my area the best, though a lot of folks like the newer "hi-def" patterns, it's still hard to beat the natural gear. At least for where I hunt. http://www.colorandcamo.com/Patterns.htm

And an even bigger selection of patterns (the mothwing winter mimicry pattern is the most AWESOME snow camo I've ever laid eyes on)
http://watertransferprinting.com/camo.htm

G
#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, the used Bushmaster and Colt are under $700 bucks, and the Predator is not the camo version, but all black. Based on what I have read here and other places, I think I'll probably go with the used Bushmaster to start and possibly build a second AR to my likings after a little more experience with them.

Thanks again.

G
#7 ·
and possibly build a second AR to my likings after a little more experience with them.Thanks again.
Essential Arms has a price increase effective Feb 1st. Right now a basic lower goes for $77 plus shipping to a FFL. I just bought two! :)

Keep in mind we might see a spike in prices after the Nov elections.....:confused:

Kent

G
#8 ·
I believe Timney comes with the option of big or small pins, so it should be able to drop into a Colt no problem. I know for sure Chip McCormick triggers have the Colt option.

I think you should just get the Colt 6920 and be done with it. Buy the best and you will have no regrets. The 6920 will be about $1300.

If you want a step below in woo woo factor get a LMT. LMT will run you about $1100 complete with sights.

G
#9 ·
Not to mention that if you're going for NM distances, the 16" isn't what you'll need. Then again, get what you're going to get and Lego the hell out of it, then snag a 20" upper in a NM configuration and swap as needed.

Oh, and use the search function.. there are tons of these conversations already here and many of them will answer the questions you are sure to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.