AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen pictures of people who have a scope mounted on a flat top with a regular front sight/gas block does this obstruct the scope picture ? I am fixing to purchase my upper and was wondering if I should go for the regular A2 upper or get a flat with a BUIS rear. I am planning on putting something like a 3-9 scope on it. Also what is the negative of have a scope mounted on the carry handle ?

Thanks,
Zac

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a pic of my flat top with a scope i originally had the front sight on it and it didnt really get in the way if you have magnified optics its usually not too visable. i could see a little bit of a grey blur but really not that bad at all. i just didnt like it there and wanted to upgrade to a free gloat tube and didnt think it would look good

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under magnification the front sight base will become a "blur"
If you are going to use this AR for "target/varmit" shooting then consider getting the upper with out the regular FSB and going with a gas block.

You don't really want to mount a scope "way up there" on the A2 carry handle, as you will not be able to get a proper cheekweld on the stock and see the scope at the same time, although some do it.

This is IMO and YMMV ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could be mistaken but aren't the acogs designed to be used with the front sight? therefore don't they look over it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could be mistaken but aren't the acogs designed to be used with the front sight? therefore don't they look over it?

you be mistaken ;)

they don't look over it, any amount of magnification will blur out the FSB making it less noticed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AR with FSP and 3-9x scope.

I barely even see a blur.

I do want to remove the FSP and put a full rail just because I like the way it looks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It bothered me enough to take my front sight off and put a single rail gas block on it. I also bought a solid screw on front sight and already had a back up rear both of which are in a pocket on my tact. vest. I'm kinda picky about my vision. I wear glasses and they are ALWAYS clean. Can't hit what you can't see. The carry handle scope will be too high on the gun and not be nearly as effective as a properly mounted scope on a flattop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 3x Leupold Mark IV CQ/T on one of my rifles, and the FSB is just a faint blur. Magnification makes it barely noticable. I don't even notice it anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I bought my Bushy Shorty several years ago, I didn't know whether I'd be shooting iron sights or optics, and I bought the A2. Never use the iron sights; have scope mounted on handle, which works o.k., but certainly not as well as it would with a flat top. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a flat top and mount the scope, using a riser, with no front sight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts