FN bolt carrier | AR15 Forums

FN bolt carrier

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by straightshooter86, Jan 22, 2005.

1. straightshooter86

straightshooter86 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the gun show is in town today and tomorrow and a booth there had new FN semi auto bolt carrier groups for $115. I know FN makes the M16 and all the US machine guns i was just wanting to know if FN made semi auto bolt carriers for commercial sale and if so is this a good price. (the price seems preety normal to me)

ss86

2. HP Shooter

HP Shooter Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    AFAIK FN is contractually prohibited from making rifles or parts for anyone other than Uncle Sugar.

The bolt carrier you saw probably made it out of the .gov's supply system under less than honest pretenses, if you know what I mean.

The AR15.com Kool Aid drinkers get all hot and bothered over this "mil-spec" part crap. As long as one buys parts from the reputable AR makers, mil-spec or not mil-spec makes no difference.

3. delloro

delloro Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FN does not supply semi M16s to the US. that means no semi parts. semi bolt carriers are different that full auto bolt carriers. why would FN make semi bolt carriers?

4. HP Shooter

HP Shooter Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point. A fake, perhaps?

That's one of the reasons I no longer waste my time at gunshows.

5. bren10man

bren10man Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BE VERY AFRAID for ANY FN-made or claim to be FN-made M16 parts for sale anywhere for two reasons:

1. FN only makes parts for Uncle Sam. FN has never made AR15-type rifle parts, only M16 parts.

2. There is a rumor (albeit a very true one I have heard) that several years ago, an FN employee at the FN plant here in Columbia, SC, went to the out-of-spec parts collection point, took them home, then proceeded to sell them.

As such, ANY FN-made part is either one of the following:

1. Fake. FN has never made nor will make parts for civilians, unless the contract with Uncle Sam is changed.
    2. Out of spec part from that "bright" employee's attempt to make a quick buck using bad parts. You buy it, you use it, gun could blow up.
    3. Stolen. Buy it, you risk getting caught (albeit remote) receiving and using stolen Government property. Which means, you risk going to jail. In the Army, there is a DOD poster that hangs outside every arms room. It is entitled "Don't steal small arms and small arms parts...." It shows an M16 rifle field stripped, then a dude sitting in a jail cell. There was a rash of small arms parts that were stolen army wide up to the 1990's by unit armorers ordering extra parts in an attempt to assemble an M16 rifle. As such, all small arms parts are stored in the motor pool and under different control, i.e. the arms room never stores small arms parts (except for handguards, buttstocks, maybe some small springs and pins). In fact, you order small arms parts as they become needed, and never stockpiled at the unit level. Only the division armament guys over at the FSB/MSB (3rd shop level) are authorized to keep small arms parts on hand because they repair them on a daily basis.

I live here in Columbia, SC. FN plant is out on Clemson Road. Maybe I need to pay them a visit and kill the rumors once and for all.

6. delloro

delloro Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there is a third reason, too. many unidentified parts are sold as "FN," and not the real manufacturer. why would that be? I don't buy parts unless they are from a reliable vendor or manufacturer. I don't care who makes the parts Armalite, Bushmaster, Colts or RRA sells, I trust them to be good.