AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I'm thinking of another AR and am leaning towards a second RRA "entry tactical" or maybe a Stag "model #1". Here are my questions. I'd like to install a 9 or 10" free-float quad rail on whatever I end up getting. I'd also like to either swap the standard front sight for a low profile gas block.....or cut down the front sight (if possible). Having never done this type of procedure, what are my options and what's the difficulty? Once I remove the standard hand guard what else has to be done? I guess I'm wondering how the free-float modular rail attaches to the upper. Also...will a permanently attached muzzle brake cause a problem for installation? Sorry if this is kind of scatter brained (I'm tired)....and thanks for any advice. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Okay. I'm thinking of another AR and am leaning towards a second RRA "entry tactical" or maybe a Stag "model #1". Here are my questions. I'd like to install a 9 or 10" free-float quad rail on whatever I end up getting. I'd also like to either swap the standard front sight for a low profile gas block.....or cut down the front sight (if possible). Having never done this type of procedure, what are my options and what's the difficulty? Once I remove the standard hand guard what else has to be done? I guess I'm wondering how the free-float modular rail attaches to the upper. Also...will a permanently attached muzzle brake cause a problem for installation? Sorry if this is kind of scatter brained (I'm tired)....and thanks for any advice. :)
If you are gonna get a barrel that has to have a permanently attached FH, wait till you get the rail on there before pinning the FH.

As for making your own low profile gas block, look here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Its about 2/3 the way down the page. It also shows you installation procedures for some of the more common rail manufacturers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what type of freefloat because there are a few different setups, but to make this as simple as possible;

Make sure unloaded and remove bolt carrier. I like to remove the carrier to ensure that no forward pressure is on barrel from the carrier and buffer so it doesn't try to push the barrel forward when the delta ring is removed and just seems safer to me this way. Especially if your upper has a lot of excess room where the barrel extension pin goes.

Remove existing handguard (top and bottom):

Remove flashider (if applicable)

Tap (drive or beat :-D) out the taper pins from the front sight and front handguard cap and pull off the muzzle end of barrel. (Usually from the left to the right if installed correctly, but depending on who put it together could be different but you can tell by looking that the thinner side of the taper pin should obviously be the side you should hit with a punch to remove)

The gas tube should also come out with the front sight so try to avoid twisting it too much so you don't bend/warp it.

Unscrew Delta ring with an AR multi tool and slide off the muzzle end of barrel

Screw the new barrel lock nut onto the reciever (this is what holds the barrel in place to the upper) and index the new handguard if it has rails, or if a non-railed tube, just tighten up with a strap wrench until very very tight.

Reinstall the other parts that you took off in reverse order. (The old handguard, delta ring/springs, and front handguard endcap won't go back--just put them in your spare parts box).

If you're wanting to get rid of the front sight and use a low profile gas block, you'll either have to tap out the roll pin in the top of the existing front sight and re-use it and the gas tube, or buy new ones with the low profile block you're wanting.

To install, just try to line the new gas block with the gas port hole and tighten it down depending on the manufacturers specs. A good way to check (tune) the alignment is to plug off the chamber with a foam earplug stuck in the chamber and blow into the muzzle while feeling of the gas tube hole while in the reciever. When you get the most air pressure coming out of the tube, the gas port is lined up ;). I'm sure there is a more scientific way to tune the gas port hole alignment, but this works and is completely free except for the cost of the earplug :-D

This is essentially the same directions to swap a barrel also.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
you could go with a Daniel Defence Omega rail. You don't have to break the barrel down to install. This was my choice as I have a perminently attached flash hider and didn't want to go through the hassle or expence of having it removed and a new one installed. I think MI and a couple others make a 2 piece one as well but with those you have to remove the delta ring assembly to install them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I personally am not keen on adding a once piece myself. As you can see it can be done, take your time and pay close attention, but all said and told, if you make an effort to have the right tools and are mechanically inclined, no problem.

Now for some options...

Midwest Industries has 2 piece FF rails that only require that you cut off the delta ring. All said any told the install takes about 30-45 minutes and the rails lock up well and secure.. additionally the MI's present a monolithic rail, meaning that the rail runs all the way across the top of the weapon without the break you will find in many many many others. For me, that means I can mount my optics a bit further forward and not have a gap between the receiver and HG. Also I have sets on 2 of my rifles.

VLTOR CASV-EL .. this is a two piece lighter weight modular rail set and honestly my favorite. Has a monolithic rail as well, allows for you to choose where you want rail mounts and is light when compared to many others. Install takes about 15 minutes, you will have to remove the front sling mount, but that isn't a big deal.

ARMS has one, the name is escaping me, but Mike has one, or had one. I'm sure he'll pipe in about it.

There are a few other two piece FF solutions out there, I just don't know anything about them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a pinned barrel Id get a Troy or similar 2 piece FF. They are very easy to install and you will just need a dremel or snips and hacksaw to get off the delta ring assembly and the handguard cap. You can buzz off the FSB while installed and then refinish it. I like the monolithic look of the Troy but I currently run all larue. They are great rails too and slightly slimmer than the Troy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't paying attention to the lowpro gas block and long rails (resse) look you are going for.

Like this?

Then try this it's not to spendy. Just cut your front sight post down and cut off the delta ring assembly and this clamps to the barrel nut.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-24-p/mctar-24.htm
That's exactly what I want. I hadn't noticed how similar the Midwest Ind. rail is to the Troy. It would save me about 40 bucks too. Thanks for the info.;) Anyone have the MI rails?

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly what I want. I hadn't noticed how similar the Midwest Ind. rail is to the Troy. It would save me about 40 bucks too. Thanks for the info.;) Anyone have the MI rails?
I have the MI 2 Piece Free Float Extended Carbine Length rails.....in a box. Haha, I don't have them on yet, but I'll post pics as soon as I do. I got them from SKD Tactical for $167. Great deal, but they shorted me a bunch of screws, which is why they aren't on the gun, lol. Waiting for them to arrive in the mail. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Those are the best looking FF tubes out there IMO... too bad theyre so damn heavy (and expensive at that)
Those are the 45C. The ARMS SIR's are the "meanest, most badassed" looking rail ever.:twisted: Picked these up for around $200 a couple yrs back. I also have a set of the 50M-CV in a box waiting to be used. :cool: weight on these is 8.6 oz.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
G

·
Discussion Starter #16
No experience with either brand, but I do have a Samson that was a "copy" of the Troy. I give that design a thumbs up. I think the Troy looks "cleaner" than the MI

MI

Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
I have a set of the MI's in the rifle length .. they are solid, easy to install and I'd buy em' again for the rifle they are on.

I think you'll find the weight addition from either is going to be noticeable. But all said and told both have a great rep and will fit the bill.. get the cheaper of the two and don't let Paul shaft you for shipping :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I also have the ARMS S.I.R. system on my AR. I love it with the #40 rear flip up sight. I also just got some ARMS #22H quick detach rings along with a super sniper scope. I'll get some new updated pictures shortly if you want with it all together.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I need to order a low profile gas block for a Stag arms upper, and it will need to fit under a LaRue FF handguard. Anyone know off hand what size I should get? Off hand I'm guessing 0.75", but for obvious reasons I would like to be certain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts