Fumes from my 5.56 at indoor range | AR15 Forums

Fumes from my 5.56 at indoor range

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by superdave67, Nov 20, 2018.

1. superdave67

superdave67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently built a 5.56 AR (and a 300BLK). I've been to the range half a dozen times (1-2 times a week) and shoot about 100 rounds each time. But the fumes from the AR are sickening... especially in the confined space of the lane. Granted, I'm using 5.56 range ammo bought at the range, so it's probably not the best quality.

What ammo is best for indoor range shooting that doesn't produce so much gas? I know there's going to be some and I can't escape it, but what can I do to reduce it? While I realize I can go to an outdoor range, but there aren't any close to where I live.

What ammo do you guys (and/or gals) recommend for indoor shooting (5.56 & 300BLK) that has less gas emissions?

Thanks all!

2. Dirtygary

Dirtygary Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This forum is basically dead. I've been on here a few days and there are hardly any active members. I would suggest you go to AR15.com. It is an active site.

I have several ARs and never found the fumes sickening- although I have never shot one in an indoor range so I can't be of any help. I do not think powder choice is going to matter than much. Perhaps if you went to a piston upper, but that is added expense.

3. superdave67

superdave67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've tried ar15.com, but every time I try to register, it says there's a "server problem" and I can't create an account.

As for the fumes... "sickening" may have been a little much. but it's definately more than I expected. I've mostly been using the "range ammo", but bought some regular ammo today, so will try that out this week.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try some other forums if I can't get ar15.com working.

4. Dirtygary

Dirtygary Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

5. Dirtygary

Dirtygary Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hope that works for you. As you said- who knows what their range ammo is.

6. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was all the range ammo the same brand? I have never shot an indoor range but I handload my .223 ammo with hodgdon h335 and it smells pretty good to me.

7. jerold222

jerold222 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sounds more like your indoor range has a ventilation problem. If it is that bad, you are inhaling more than just powder smoke, metal and lead particles if anyone is shooting lead bullets.
    If there are lanes closer to the air ducts, that might be an option. Otherwise, if you value your health, don't shoot there.