AR15 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size pin is the gas block on standard A2 front sight post? I want to change to a gas block with a rail.

Is there anything important about changing gas blocks? Im a newb and would love any info you have :)

Thanx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is your front sight still on your rifle? If so, you simply use the original pin in the new gas block. I put one on my 20"er about six mos. ago but I can't remember if it came with a new pin or not. They should tell you when it comes time to order anyway. I believe it is a 1/16" roll pin. Make sure you use/get a set of roll pin drift pins. These are the ones with the little "pimple" on the end to keep them indexed in the center of the roll pin. Good luck! Happy shooting!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Gas block help."

Sorry, was just gonna tell ya to grab a hold of something and push real hard... once you blow it out you'll feel like a million bucks.

Now I realize you need AR help. :mrgreen::lol::p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My FSP has caps on each end.

How would I remove it?

I am also looking to install a low pro gas block with a rail over it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Gas block help."

Sorry, was just gonna tell ya to grab a hold of something and push real hard... once you blow it out you'll feel like a million bucks.

Now I realize you need AR help. :mrgreen::lol::p
Thanx for seting me up with those pistol classes :)

Ive taken 2 of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My FSP has caps on each end.

How would I remove it?

I am also looking to install a low pro gas block with a rail over it.
Caps on which ends? And Ends of what?

But to remove it, you just remove the muzzle device, punch the two pins and slide it off (pretty sure there isn't any pinning for the gas tube, but be careful of that).. if you have a hang guard front cup and don't need it, remove that as well. Then slide or mount the new GB, pin or screw it back into place with the gas tube situated correctly, re-attach your muzzle device and go shoot something :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caps on which ends? And Ends of what?

But to remove it, you just remove the muzzle device, punch the two pins and slide it off (pretty sure there isn't any pinning for the gas tube, but be careful of that).. if you have a hang guard front cup and don't need it, remove that as well. Then slide or mount the new GB, pin or screw it back into place with the gas tube situated correctly, re-attach your muzzle device and go shoot something :)
Yeah it's a Bushmaster FSP so it doesn't look like a roll pin but rather the pins have kind of rounded caps on each side.

Also what do you guys use to coat the metal under the FSP that is not parkerized?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the other side should be flat, those are taper pins....hit them HARD, don't be a wuss and end up mushrooming them. ;)

and don't forget the roll pin holding the gas tube in....the hole next to the "crown"

dab a little cold blue on the bare metal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you get the pins out and your removing your FSB use lots of lube (I use WD40) on your barrel so it wont scratch it as you tap it off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.varminthunters.com/ar15tech/freefloat/ar15freefloat.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Removing the Taper Pins from the front post pins can be the most difficult and frustrating part of this conversion, closely followed by gas tube removal and replacement. If you "booger up" the pins, you'll have to drill them out or have them pressed out, neither of which is any fun at all. The pins, as the name implies are tapered. They can ONLY be removed by driving them out of the gas block from the LEFT to RIGHT.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet link

Thanks TKOL

Now my next question is since I am buying a rail the extends over the gas block I wonder if I should hack up my FSP or buy a low profile and pay the $40.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MCTAR+LPG&CartID=1

Here is the rail I want:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MCTAR%2D24&CartID=2
If you want to hack that sight down...

Go right ahead. It will work just the same and some gas blocks are nothing more than hacked front sights. Just remember thos front sights are hardened aluminum and are quite hard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DONT CUT YOUR SIGHT!

If you ever want to put your FSB back on you will never find one that will match your barrels taper holes. You will then either have to get a clamp on FSB or buy a FSB with out holes and have a gun smith match the holes to your barrel.

I know this because I wanted to put a FSB on a rifle that had the baynote lug removed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it takes way more forsce to remove those pins then i expected. i didnt care if i messed up the FS so i clamped the top of it in a vice really hard and hit the pins really really hard a few times and they ended up comeing out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts