AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread got me to wondering about the staking on my Bushie.

Is this staking good, bad, who cares ...? If it's not good is this kind of thing that can be sent back to be done correctly?

Am I correct in assuming that the staking is a means to keep the screws from backing out? If so, why not locktite them down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it loose? Are you having issues? If no then it should be just fine. You can get a stake punch and stake it a bit more yourself if you want. won't hurt anything and you will be saving time on turn-around.

To me this is kind of like sending a steak back because it isn't well-done enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

JP Rifles DPMS Chrome Bushmaster RRA

There are different methods of staking these and I only see the Bushmaster as being the best as metal is pushed from both the screw and the key.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it loose? Are you having issues? If no then it should be just fine. You can get a stake punch and stake it a bit more yourself if you want. won't hurt anything and you will be saving time on turn-around.

To me this is kind of like sending a steak back because it isn't well-done enough.
No issues and it isn't loose. Like I said it was discussed in another thread and I got to looking at mine and realized what was done didn't appear like it was going to do anything at all. Seeings how I like my steak with a little pink I think I'll just let this go ;). Thanks Knight!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had 3 Bushies and only one was properly staked One had no staking at all. I really like to see a little deformation on the bolt head also but have staked a couple myself that did not move a bit afterward. Using nothing but a center punch, Hammer, some carb cleaner and red locktite.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen better. Keep and eye on it, as you should anyway. If it does come loose, then take it out, Locktite it, stake it again, and go on. I did this to one that I had that was not properly done and worked loose. No problem since. Of course now that I have done such a good job, if I ever had to get it off, well, I would be better off getting a new carrier.. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the OP, as others have mentioned, that is poor stake job.

Staking is so easy and painless that anyone can do a custom stake job that will be right up there with the best of them. My worries are, if a company can't properly stake their BCG's, what other short cuts are they taking?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newb question...

Can't you just check those screws/bolts whenever you clean your gun? Obviously those who use their ARs to go kick doors down in the field are a special case, but I'm asking about those of us who have ARs for plinking at the range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Newb question...

Can't you just check those screws/bolts whenever you clean your gun? Obviously those who use their ARs to go kick doors down in the field are a special case, but I'm asking about those of us who have ARs for plinking at the range.
Sure, if you check them consistently when you clean your gun and you clean after every use then you are probably OK. But, if you ever find them loose, I would stake them anyway so they don't move while in use even if it is just extended range plinking. If the "stake is not well done", I might want to check it prior to each use as opposed to post use / cleaning time.

...on second thought, get them properly staked and make us all feel better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Newb question...

Sure, if that gun is just a plinker, doing it that should be fine.

Why not just make sure the screws are properly torqued and staked and eliminate the hassle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just make sure the screws are properly torqued and staked and eliminate the hassle?
Because checking screws after each trip to the range is easy and has an extremely low chance of doing it wrong. Staking comes with a moderate risk of screwing things up. I don't have a vise to hold the carrier still. If I had someone's old busted carrier to practice with, I'd give it a shot. That MOACKS tool is not cheap. Since my AR will never be in a life or death situation, I haven't convinced myself that I really really need it.

gotm4 from m4carbine.net said:
2. Many people don't shoot their guns much (I'd say 95% of AR owners shoot about 1K rounds per year or less!) so unstaked ones won't rear their ugly heads for a long time and shoot loose or it'll take them years to see it.
I fall into this category.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pay mvician to "rent" his Pocket moaks.:confused:

maybe he will go for that....;-)
that sounds like an indecent proposal right there! DON'T DO IT! LOL hahaha just kidding!

on a serious note.... not a bad idea to have a "rent tools for build" type thread. i've read a few posts saying that they don't want to buy tools b/c they would only use it once and it would just be a waste of money. maybe we should start a "rent my tools for a fee" type thing!

thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Bushmaster is only slightly better staked than yours. I have about 1.5K rounds through it. No problems yet, but I'll post if I ever do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm tempted to go against the grain and leave my less than ideal staking alone. I want to see how long it goes before I run into an issue. As stated earlier, my AR is a range plinker and will never see a SHTF situation.

This carrier came from Del-ton.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts