AR15 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I have a fully assembled lower, how involved is swapping to a gas piston upper? Is like putting a normal direct impingement upper on?

I'm new to the AR field (read: I don't have one) and I was weighing my options. The Gas Piston uppers are out of my price range at the moment. I figure the cheapest way to get an AR is to buy the Lower Receiver, parts kit, grip/stock, etc and then get an assembled upper and put them together. For the first upper, I thought of getting just a DI upper and if it's easy to sway, then get a gas piston upper down the road. Is it as simple as popping a few pins and then putting the new gas piston upper on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A pre-assembled upper should just fit on. I say should because I've heard some low-end lowers don't have all the pins in the correct places. Otherwise you shouldn't have any issue.

I have a DPMS AP4-your basic M4gery, and I've been toying with the possibility of swapping to a piston. My problem is that a pre-assembled upper costs more than my rifle new. A conversion kit costs about $400. I may end up going that route.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure if the lower is a high quality "mil-spec" then they should match up.

yeah those uppers are pretty costly. I figure once the gas piston uppers are more common, then the prices will drop and I can go that route. For now, I'll settle for a DI setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in the process of doing a piston shorty for my S&W reciever. Just sent off the form 1 today. Once its approved, a CMMG 10.3" upper with an Ares Defense piston retro-fit kit will go on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A buddy just bought a POF upper. It's nice but the price is about what the new series of AR-type weapons (Masada, SCAR) should cost - $1300 or so!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only companies that I know of are POF and LWRC. What are some other reputable gas piston companies? I would do the conversion, but LWRC costs about 750 for the conversion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bushmaster makes a piston upper as well. I'd go with LWRC. They're piston system is better than the rest imho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts