AR15 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LMTs uppers are amazing, it looks like (tell me if I"m wrong) that the rails are one piece with the upper reciever) the problem is I don't want a 5.56 rifle I want to build a 6.5
So is there a way to get an upper like the LMT's MRP (Monolithic Rail Platform) to work with a 6.5 caliber or am I dreaming to far off into the sky? (they have in in 6.8, anyone have one and know if that would be convertable?)
thanks for the responses

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LMT's mono rail system allows you to easily swap barrels to 5.56x45mm, 5.56x39mm, to 6.8x43mm, 7.62x39mm and .499. No 6.5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I think your better off with 6.8. The 6.5 looks like it would be a jam-o-matic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 w/ Nikon... it'll really be interesting to see if the Grendel & Beowulf rounds leave a lasting impression on the market with availability & price point. The 6.8SPC is already a solid performer for those 'it goes thru schools' tasks...

Yocan, just curious as to why the larger caliber considering you'd just be limiting your options for a build - unless you're planning on a mid-to-long range application where 6.5/6.8 really starts to strut it's effective power, or just want an exotic conversation piece, the 5.56 route can be a very effective (and relatively cheaper) to shoot. That's in no way implying that 6.5/6.8 aren't very capable and nasty rounds, just askin....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want a ten inch barrel that will still drop something. 6.5 is the only one I'd trust out to 500 yds out of a ten inch barrel. Not that I'd ever need it but... who ever needs more than two mags either right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if funding isn't an issue then why not have someone like White Oak or LaRue build it for you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yocan, just curious as to why the larger caliber considering you'd just be limiting your options for a build - unless you're planning on a mid-to-long range application where 6.5/6.8 really starts to strut it's effective power, or just want an exotic conversation piece, the 5.56 route can be a very effective (and relatively cheaper) to shoot. That's in no way implying that 6.5/6.8 aren't very capable and nasty rounds, just askin....
Well, I'd be interested in the MRP with a 5.56 and a 6.5G barrel. Then I could keep the 5.56 barrel in for home defense, teotwawki, range use, varmint hunting, etc., and switch to the 6.5G barrel for deer season (I don't trust the 6.8 to reach out and properly touch a deer at 400yds. The Grendel can.).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if funding isn't an issue then why not have someone like White Oak or LaRue build it for you?
+1 - He's got a good point here... if you're willing to pay, those folks provide some quality stuff. :)

...Then I could keep the 5.56 barrel in for home defense, ... and switch to the 6.5G barrel for deer season (I don't trust the 6.8 to reach out and properly touch a deer at 400yds. The Grendel can.).
Options are good! :) Don't get me wrong, I think they're both great rounds and would love to build one sometime myself. :)

BTW, what's teotwawki?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts