AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today after clinic, the surgeon i am working w/ took me out gun/scope shopping.. it has been a GREAT month - lots surgery & gun talk. :D:D:D

i was able to paw through about 20-25 diff AR15's.. DPMS, bushmaster, S&W, colt, LMT, Sig, & olympic arms.

the M4 feedramps on the olympic arms looked horrid.. like someone just touched the upper w/ a dremel & scratched it up a bit. :shock: ..complete horse**** staking too! i was really disappointed!

i wasn't too keen on the DPMS or bushies either.. they just didn't do it for me.

i liked the notion of a gas piston on the Sig, but she felt clunky/heavy up front & i'm leaning more toward a "standard" AR for a future handrail upgrade.

the LMT looked/felt good, but i can't say it was any better than the colt to me. also, it was on par w/ S&W since it's just rebranded LMT, no?

anyways, the trip definitely put the it into my mind that you truly do get what you pay for after looking @ the POS olympic arms (no offense to an oly arms fans who got decent M4 feedramps). i'm going to look more into colt & the S&W (LMT), since there is the $100 rebate.. maybe even save some more $$ & increasing my AR budget.

:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
today after clinic, the surgeon i am working w/ took me out gun/scope shopping.. it has been a GREAT month - lots surgery & gun talk. :D:D:D

i was able to paw through about 20-25 diff AR15's.. DPMS, bushmaster, S&W, colt, LMT, Sig, & olympic arms.

the M4 feedramps on the olympic arms looked horrid.. like someone just touched the upper w/ a dremel & scratched it up a bit. :shock: ..complete horse**** staking too! i was really disappointed!

i wasn't too keen on the DPMS or bushies either.. they just didn't do it for me.

i liked the notion of a gas piston on the Sig, but she felt clunky/heavy up front & i'm leaning more toward a "standard" AR for a future handrail upgrade.

the LMT looked/felt good, but i can't say it was any better than the colt to me. also, it was on par w/ S&W since it's just rebranded LMT, no?

anyways, the trip definitely put the it into my mind that you truly do get what you pay for after looking @ the POS olympic arms (no offense to an oly arms fans who got decent M4 feedramps). i'm going to look more into colt & the S&W (LMT), since there is the $100 rebate.. maybe even save some more $$ & increasing my AR budget.

What about an Armalite? I have a dealer trying to sell me one of them. The M4 with the A2 sights. Everything for 750.00. What do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bad, upon further review.. S&W are Stag.

the bushies were some carbon ones (crap), an old A2, & the varminter.. not what i am looking for.

i'll look into armalite. thx justgotback...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about an Armalite? I have a dealer trying to sell me one of them. The M4 with the A2 sights. Everything for 750.00. What do you think?
I really like my A4 Armalite Middy carbine. Been a good rifle so far and the finish and attention to detail is better than the last 3 Bushmasters I've had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Have you looked at the POF piston rifle?
Look here--->http://www.pof-usa.com/ They have .308 as well as 5.56/.223 they have some great reveiws

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Armalites catalog list that rifle for $1,100/with match trigger $1,200 you better grab it for $750 it's a steal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my bad, upon further review.. S&W are Stag.

the bushies were some carbon ones (crap), an old A2, & the varminter.. not what i am looking for.

A. It's CMT you're thinking of, which STAG is their commercial brand, but the S&W upper end use Troy rails and sights.. that combination is damn fine.

B. Don't forget RRA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't dick around on AR's. Get the good stuff. Which pretty much means LMT, Colt, or Noveske etc. Stag quality is pretty good, just swap out the BCG and have the proper staking done. I don't see why people dick around when the LMT stuff isn't that much more expensive. Pete quited me a price on a LMT 16" VERY close to Stag prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't dick around on AR's. Get the good stuff. Which pretty much means LMT, Colt, or Noveske etc. Stag quality is pretty good, just swap out the BCG and have the proper staking done. I don't see why people dick around when the LMT stuff isn't that much more expensive. Pete quited me a price on a LMT 16" VERY close to Stag prices.
That's weird! When I called Pete to order my upper I asked him to give me a quote on LMT and he said "naw, that stuff is too expensive, you're getting the same thing with the Stag"... in my head I was like "ooooooookkkaaay". But anyhow, I picked the Stag anyways b/c I already had the Stag Lower... My next AR will be either a COLT (preferred), LMT, or CMMG... just depends on the money flow!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's weird! When I called Pete to order my upper I asked him to give me a quote on LMT and he said "naw, that stuff is too expensive, you're getting the same thing with the Stag"... in my head I was like "ooooooookkkaaay". But anyhow, I picked the Stag anyways b/c I already had the Stag Lower... My next AR will be either a COLT (preferred), LMT, or CMMG... just depends on the money flow!
No shame in a STAG. I saw one go through a carbine course with all Wolf ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No shame in a STAG. I saw one go through a carbine course with all Wolf ammo.
nope, no shame whatsoever! it was funny tho, when i bought the lower at the gun show, i asked another booth if he had any stag lowers, and as cocky as he was he says "i dont like shooting anything that has a deer engraved in it, it looks stupid and probably won't fit most uppers out there" so i walked away and he got no business from me for the rest of the day. just made me feel like he wasn't knowledgeable about the products and that all he was in business for was for looking "cool"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
S&W is NOT a rebranded LMT. S&W does not have M4 feed ramps or 4150 barrel steel.
This is correct. The S&W is a rebranded (in various configurations) Colt, Bushmaster, RRA (although they use different manufactured lowers), and Stag Arms.

Continental Machine and Tool (better known as CMT) is the actual manufacturer of the majority of the major component parts that go into assembling the above mentioned brands. RRA lowers are manufactured by the LAR/Grizzly folks.

CMT is a quality manufacturer, and although these different brand names offer a variety in configuration, the parts for the most part are all made on the same machines by CMT. I'm not looking for an argument, but in my mind, even though all of these brands offer excellent firearms (there are always a few nad ones that get through, no matter what the brand), these are brand names, and NOT manufacturers. I understand that this is just my opinion, and that there are certainly desenting ones, but that's my 2 cents.

Because I know this will come out sonner or later, I'm not only and Oly fan, but I have been employed by Olympic Arms for the last nearly 15 years. Oly has come a long way in the time, and while still a long way from perfect, who is, I'd match Oly procuct against anyone's out there. If we want to discuss this further perhaps we can do it on a seperate thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nope, no shame whatsoever! it was funny tho, when i bought the lower at the gun show, i asked another booth if he had any stag lowers, and as cocky as he was he says "i dont like shooting anything that has a deer engraved in it, it looks stupid and probably won't fit most uppers out there" so i walked away and he got no business from me for the rest of the day. just made me feel like he wasn't knowledgeable about the products and that all he was in business for was for looking "cool"
Yeah, gotta love ignorant gun pricks who lie to move what THEY have in stock. I like to screw with them and ask questions I already know the answer to, just to see what they say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RRA lowers are manufactured by the LAR/Grizzly folks.

Because I know this will come out sonner or later, I'm not only and Oly fan, but I have been employed by Olympic Arms for the last nearly 15 years. Oly has come a long way in the time, and while still a long way from perfect, who is, I'd match Oly procuct against anyone's out there. If we want to discuss this further perhaps we can do it on a seperate thread.
Welcome to the forums. :cool:

Since when has RRA switched over to LAR for their lowers ?
My RRA lower was made by CMT, as all that start the serial number with "CM" are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AR's are parts guns and basically everyone get their AR parts from the same sources.

Only AR's I would stay away from is Oly, to me all the rest are pretty much the same in my book. If you pay more, you have a little bit more insurance it will be put together properly. But nothing is guaranteed as even Colt can screw up.

Lately I have been hearing a lot of complaints about Bushmasters.. FSB too short, FSB canted, bolt lugs shearing off, BCG keys coming loose due to improper staking, etc, etc. But I have only heard these things over the web and have never seen this in person. I say about 50% of all AR's I see at the range are Bushmasters and I never seen one complaint in person.

I also a have Noveske and it is considered among the best, but in reality it does not shoot any better than my Bushmasters. Only thing I can complain about my Bushmaster is the keys were not properly staked in one of them, but this does not seem to be a problem as I already shot 5000 rounds through this one. I bought a spare Bravo Company Machine M16 bolt as a spare so when or if it breaks I have spare waiting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Bushmaster has been fine by me but I have limited experience with other makes.

I'll show my ignorance here I am sure but can someone explain the staking?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts