AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guy think would be a good cheap scope for a AR varmint in the .223. looking to shoot at around 350 yards. with my DPMS. it has a 24" SS barrel with a flat top Upper. Thanks for all your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just picked up a BSA "sweet 223" 3-12x42 for $79. I haven't used it yet but it seems to be a well made scope. Comes with three drums for 50, 55, and 62 grain .223 which let you adjust the elevation for different ranges.
I got it at SWFA which included a bore-sighting kit with all BSA purchases. YOu might look at their web sight to see if the deal is still going on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BEC

good glass, good adjustment, illumination is fine with the models that offer it, keeps zero, good battery life.

I just bought a low power Barska for up close varminting and though the scope is good, the illumination on it washes out somewhat at times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure what you mean by cheap.I just got done putting together a varmint rifle its not an ar platform but a remington 700 sps in .223 with bull barrel and put a nikon 4.5-14x40mm buckmaster with mil-dot. yes I gave $265.00, but it is the clearest and brightest scope I have ever owned. with the ar rifle you have and the distance you want to shoot , cheap might not be better but just my 2 cents good luck with what ever you buy! sharp looking rifle you have there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a nikon on mine it was $150 wich im sure is more then your thinking but the sweet 223 seems to be good from what i hear and i will be takeing the nikon off and putting it on my 308 when im done with my build and when i do that i will get a sweet 223

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a Pentax Gamemaster with the ballistic plex from cameralandny.com. Great glass for the money. Although I can consistently hit the 12" plate at 500 with my cheap leapers handle mounted mil-dot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want cheap go leapers,bsa,tasco,barska.You have a nice rifle,why not put a quality scope on it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a leaper 3-9x40 for thirty bucks off e-bay last week.
I took it to the range to shot on my car-15, at 200 yards with wolf ammo was holding 2.5-3 inch groups. Not on a true bench rest, just an ammo can with a shirt on it.
The optic aren't the clearest and the value was good. Look on e-bay you will find some good scopes and at good prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was watching the movie S.W.A.T last night and I noticed that most of their AR or M4's had smallish scopes that I assume are Red Dot's and they were mounted directly to the handle with no mounts. I recently bought and returned a Bushnell Red Dot scope because it sat too high, nice scope though, it was their Trophy MP. Could someone enlighten me as to what kind of scopes they are and were I might get them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you will find is that cheap scopes lack the clarity that the better scopes have, they may or may not fog up, they most likely will not be repeatable if you dial up or down on a regular basis, they will lack eye relief or have a very small sweet spot and they may not retain zero for a long period of time.

Not flaming or anythign liek that but look through say a NCStar brand scope and then look through a luepold, you would not believe the difference. With quality you will have to pay the price but the Bushnell 2300 and 2400 are the old Baush $ Laumb scopes and are fabulous scopes for a budget oriented shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Burris Fulfield II! They hover around the $200 mark, but usually come with a free gift of sorts. like a GPS unit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It all depends on what cheap means to you. Leopold, Burris, Nikon are all cheap compared to Nightforce! I have a Bushnell 2300 10x mildot on mine. They can be found on ebay around $170. It works great on the silhouette range out to 500m. You can also check out Vortex. Very nice scopes in this same price range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a Simmons Whitetail on sale from Midway for $100.00. It has very clear optics and I am very happy with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts