AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Paid $1400 for her a week ago S&W also has a deal buy any M&P ar15 and get a sigma pistol for $99.. She also came with a rebate for pick two of the following.. 2 mags a knife or a watch.

Optics coming in the near future :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. For that price I think I'd go with a Sig 556 though.
Hahaha... true! Self-cleaning gas piston... I was about to get a 556 SWAT right before getting the S&W...

But then again, for that price (1400 towards Sig) you'd also have no irons and a heck of a lot less choices in upgrade parts! (Unless you pony'ed up some nice $$ for the railed variant.... just a thought. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Spudstr, have you taken the AR out for a frist run yet? Impressions? We're curious! :)

Yes Dan, the 556 takes standard AR mags & it's a very impressive piece of machinery. I was just pullin' Nikon's chain a bit. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking at getting a new AR. I am trying to decide between a flat top Armalite carbine or an M&P 15

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks....I knew it didn't come with sights of any kind, but for that kind of cash it better at least use regular mags. A good rifle from all the accounts I've read, if overpriced (IMO).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The nice part about the M&P are the BUIS set seen on this one and the rails.. both quality. The BUIS Set at least is Troy, not sure who they are using for the rails.

The down side to the SIG 556's are as stated, very limited market for add ons (BUIS in particular) and the railed forends seem to only be available from somewhere in Europe or SIG directly. A lot of folks are putting the 551 non-railed forends on them for ergonomics. The 556 is one heavy pig though. Feels more like a HK91 than a AR... there are better Piston systems out there than the SIG IMHO. Still a sexy rifle any way you look at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1 w/ Badshot. Strangely enough specs on Sig's site (unless it's been updated) rate the 556 to be marginally lighter than the M&P... I tried both at the shop and will agree that the 556 is definately heavier.

The available rails on the M&P are also Troy. (Model is 10" MRF-MX to be exact, but w/ S&W markings instead).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So Spudstr, have you taken the AR out for a frist run yet? Impressions? We're curious! :)

Yes Dan, the 556 takes standard AR mags & it's a very impressive piece of machinery. I was just pullin' Nikon's chain a bit. ;)
yeah took her out the next day. Only a 25 yard indoor range she shot great. Going to get some optics and goto the indoor NRA 50yard range in a few weeks :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've shot both the M&P 15 T and a Sig 556.

I also thought the Sig was heavy and expensive for what it is.

I bought a Bushie and pretty much changed everything out to almost the specs of the M&P 15T.

When you look at the S&W it seems like alot of money but with the monolithic rail and BUIS's it is not a bad price point.

If I had to do it all over again I would just get the AR you just bought.

Good luck with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rob's right in that aspect, scalce... the MRF is 'modular' (i.e has rails), but is not monolithic; the forend and upper aren't 1 long piece, even though it creates the look/feel of a 'true' flattop. But essentially it offers a very similar solution.

About the CMT/Stag part... it's true the initial batches were produced by them, but over the past 6 months or so S&W has taken the M&P production completely inhouse (save for the LMT-made bolt carriers). They've also been producing proper-spec lowers & adding m4 ramps on the later builds. That's not saying they aren't charging a premium over similarly-spec'd offerings from other manufactures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rob's right in that aspect, scalce... the MRF is 'modular' (i.e has rails), but is not monolithic; the forend and upper aren't 1 long piece, even though it creates the look/feel of a 'true' flattop. But essentially it offers a very similar solution.
Ahhh

I haven't looked at one in awhile.

I love how even those rails looks.

That's my next purchase.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts