AR15 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not usually drawn to ARs but this one really sucked me in.
http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.htm

It's an Alexander Arms in .50 beowulf. Downright sexy. Ammo is a little pricey but not outrageous for an exotic. Something about a 1/2" hole in the business end of a EBR is WAY more exciting than the normal pea-sized one.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Impressive! but at over $1 a shot, it's kind of spendy :(

I would vote for the 6.5 Grendel ;)

How much do these rifles go for?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My local shop out here had one of these too - from what the guy behind the counter told me, they're a lot more the $1 a shot...SWEEEET gun though
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like $1000 for a complete rifle in the grendel and $1500 for the beowulf. You can get dedicated uppers for less. The one in the gun shop was $1200.

If I had that kind money I'd probably get a good 'ole M1A though.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UtahConcealer said:
My local shop out here had one of these too - from what the guy behind the counter told me, they're a lot more the $1 a shot...SWEEEET gun though
The Alexander Arms site has both rounds in a variety of loads for just a little more than $1/round. Add shipping of course.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hobocircus said:
Impressive! but at over $1 a shot, it's kind of spendy :(

I would vote for the 6.5 Grendel ;)

How much do these rifles go for?
+1, the 6.5 Grendel is an awesome round. The only problem though is that its just as expensive to shoot.

If you want a round that will drop in price, but is unique in the AR-15, the 6.8SPC is what you should get, even though the 6.5 Grendel's ballistics are better.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked into the Grendel round for a bit while AR window-shopping, and I heard it was involved in the evaluation process for adoption by the military. Anybody know if anything has happened in this area? If the 6.5 gets picked up by the armed forces, I'm betting ammo prices would come down quite a bit due to production becoming more wide-spread.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DanTheEldest said:
I looked into the Grendel round for a bit while AR window-shopping, and I heard it was involved in the evaluation process for adoption by the military. Anybody know if anything has happened in this area? If the 6.5 gets picked up by the armed forces, I'm betting ammo prices would come down quite a bit due to production becoming more wide-spread.
From everything I've ever read, they basically determined that that 6.8SPC is a better combat round, so if anything I'd put my money on that. The 6.8SPC has nearly 80% the power of a .308, and still maintains excellent magazine capacity. The 6.5 though would make an amazing varmit round. To be honest, I don't think the military will adopt either, just because the military would rather make a new gun than switch calibers, especially to a new caliber. I believe .223 will be used for a long time.

If 6.8SPC (or 6.5 Grendel) were adopted though, I'd absolutely be thrilled and I'd immediately go out and buy a 6.8 upper (or 6.5).
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The AR platform is amazing and easy to mod the manufactures that have jumped on the band wagon are far reaching. Looks like a great rifle.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The .50 Beowulf round is pretty much the same size as a .223 round, IIRC. If that's the case, it is about $1.00-$1.50 per round.

Let's not confuse or equate the .50 Beowulf round with the .50 BMG round. The BMG rounds are much larger (therefore requiring a totally different upper, magazine, etc.)... The .50 BMG runs at least $2.50 - $3.50 per round. :shock:

So the Beowulf is cheaper to shoot, although I don't think it'll go the same distance. The rifle components, sizes, etc. for each caliber type are totally different.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dave_in_delaware said:
The .50 Beowulf round is pretty much the same size as a .223 round, IIRC. If that's the case, it is about $1.00-$1.50 per round.

Let's not confuse or equate the .50 Beowulf round with the .50 BMG round. The BMG rounds are much larger (therefore requiring a totally different upper, magazine, etc.)... The .50 BMG runs at least $2.50 - $3.50 per round. :shock:

So the Beowulf is cheaper to shoot, although I don't think it'll go the same distance. The rifle components, sizes, etc. for each caliber type are totally different.
My bad, thats what I was thinking of, my shop out here had the .50 BMG
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the idea of the 458 SOCOM. RRA is making both a rifle and just the upper and the upper lists for only $660 and I bet you could probably get it for just less than $600 if you shop around.

The cool think about the 458 SOCOM is it uses standard 5.56x45 magazines (at obviously reduced capacity). The 458 SOCOM also uses standard 0.458 diameter rifle bullets that are relatively easy to find compared to 50cal pistol bullets the Beowulf uses. This make reloading the 458 SOCOM cheaper and bullets are available in a larger variety.

Rambling
mcb
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A vender from Alexander arms was at the Sinterfire law enforcement shoot a couple of years ago. Sinterfire did a presentation showing how their rounds did not recochet when they struck a hard surface vs. other major brands (gold dots, cor bon etc..). They also had blocks of ballistic gelatin that they were shooting with their frangible duty round, to show their performance. These were large blocks of gelatin, so you could see no movement when the blocks were shot with any of the handgun rounds. When shot with their 12 guage slug you could notice a slight quiver when the block was struck. When they shot it with the 50 beowolf the block of gelatin flew off the metal stand onto the ground a few feet back.:shock:
The guy doing the shooting held up the block and it was spit in half at the back end and the entire thing seemed like one massive wound cavity.

They also allowed anyone who wanted, to fire 5 rounds of the 50 Beowolf. When they started taking questions the first one asked was "whats the recoil like with that 50 cal?". The vendor's answer was "like a 20 guage, without the brake on it, with the brake about half that". At that point they ended the presentation and everyone lined up to get their try at the 50 beowolf. Waiting in line I could feel the muzzle blast of the people firing ahead of me, and I thought to myself "half of a 20 guage my ass". When it was my turn the first shot I just leaned into it like I was shooting a 3 1/2 inch mag, but the recoil was what they had claimed. The next 4 rounds I fired in a pair of double taps and it was easily controlled. It's a good thing I didn't have 700 dollars or whatever it was they were selling their uppers for cause I would have bought it.
I was very impressed with the 50 beowolf's performance but I never picked one up later because of the cost of the ammo. Once I start reloading I'll have to give it a second look.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mcb said:
I like the idea of the 458 SOCOM. RRA is making both a rifle and just the upper and the upper lists for only $660 and I bet you could probably get it for just less than $600 if you shop around.

The cool think about the 458 SOCOM is it uses standard 5.56x45
mcb
Looks like the beowulf round uses regular mags as well although you do have to bend the lips. The uppers run about $600 too.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I've figure out why I liked this AR so much. Any round named after a mythic dragon-slayer is okay in my book:D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top