AR15 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I chopped my old carry handle to make a BUIS. Right now my EoTech dot sits right on top of the post and is zeroed for 25 meters +/-. When I shut off the red dot to see how my irons were I was shooting about 6" low. If I move my front post the dot won't sit where I have it zeroed. Any advice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what was the setup before the chop and before the EOTech ?

You have to zero the irons and EO seperately.
OR zero the iron, and then move the dot to the sight post, but that will be "ballpark"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its kind of hard to picture what is going on. On my AR with Eotech the dot and front post don't line up because I'm running 1/3 cowitness. I got a good BZO on my iron sites, then slapped on the Eotech and zeroed the Eotech. Are you running a true cowitness with your chopped carrying handle?

Depending on if he is running a true cowitness or not, adjusting the dot to the front sight post will make him shoot way high with the Eotech. Maybe not so much at 25 yards but from what I experienced was at 100 yards or out it wasn't even close, not even on paper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps I went back asswards ... I zeroed the EoTech first so that the dot sits right on top of the front post. To zero my irons I will have to move the front post and that will throw off my Eo zero.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps I went back asswards ... I zeroed the EoTech first so that the dot sits right on top of the front post. To zero my irons I will have to move the front post and that will throw off my Eo zero.

did you actually shoot the rifle to sight it in or did you just crank on the EO to move the dot ?

1. ZERO irons first
2. ZERO the EOTech
3. DON'T worry if the dot is not right upon the front sight post.
4. SMILE :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this may sound dumb but how will adjusting your front site throw off your EO Zero, I thought that the RDS actually replace your sights and the point of co witnessing was to compare your RDS to your BUIS.

once your RDS is sighted you shouldnt need your other sites unless the EO fails.

did you actually shoot the rifle to sight it in or did you just crank on the EO to move the dot ?
and if he just did this then he isnt zeroed he is just co witnessed to his front sight post correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and if he just did this then he isnt zeroed he is just co witnessed to his front sight post correct.
Co-witness just means that you sights are in the same focal plane.
It doens't mean that the dot will be right at the tip of the front sight post every time for everyone ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Co-witness just means that you sights are in the same focal plane.
It doens't mean that the dot will be right at the tip of the front sight post every time for everyone ;)
right so in essence is he did as you described and mounted his EO and just lined it up with the front sight he is not zeroed.

and if it is zeroed then moving the front sight post shouldn't effect the zero of the EO. or am i wrong

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes

If he zeroed his EOTech by shooting then adjusting the front post doesn't matter.

We don't know if he did that or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right so in essence is he did as you described and mounted his EO and just lined it up with the front sight he is not zeroed.

and if it is zeroed then moving the front sight post shouldn't effect the zero of the EO. or am i wrong
yep you need to zero the irons first, then your optic.
If your irons are zero'd and you mount and adjust your optic so that the dot sits on the tip of your front sight post, you will be close but not zero'd.

time to head for work.........midnights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep you need to zero the irons first, then your optic.
If your irons are zero'd and you mount and adjust your optic so that the dot sits on the tip of your front sight post, you will be close but not zero'd.

time to head for work.........midnights
What he said :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1. ZERO irons first
2. ZERO the EOTech
3. DON'T worry if the dot is not right upon the front sight post.
4. SMILE :D
First off, thanks everyone for chimming in. Secondly, according to mvician's advice I did do things back asswards. Next weekend I will try again ... darn, darn, darn :D.

Third, how would I know that my irons were shooting 6" low as compared to the Eo unless I went and shot it? ;)

Anyways ... thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Third, how would I know that my irons were shooting 6" low as compared to the Eo unless I went and shot it? ;)

Anyways ... thanks again!
Yes, but were your irons sighted in first before you chopped it ? :D
If so, did you move the elevation wheel to a different spot than it was originally ?

Here to help :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, but were your irons sighted in first before you chopped it ? :D
If so, did you move the elevation wheel to a different spot than it was originally ?

Here to help :cool:
No, I didn't zero the irons first ... thus my back asswardness ;). I plan to do that this upcoming weekend if I can find a place that isn't over run with every Elmer Fudd with a gun looking for the great Wapiti.

No, the elevation wheel hasn't been touched. Correct me if I am worng but isn't the point of impact managed through the front sight post?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
point of impact is managed though both the front and rear sights, your front sight should be used to move the point of impact up or down. and the rear sight should be used to adjust left and right, with the ability make minor adjustments to elevation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, the elevation wheel hasn't been touched. Correct me if I am worng but isn't the point of impact managed through the front sight post?
Yes, elevation is with the front sight post, the rear A2 sight has markings for different ranges, thus changing the "elevation" of the rear sight. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts