AR15 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The muffs I have hit the stock before my cheek does... so to get a good cheek weld I have to push my hearing protection out of the way a little... then it's useless.

What do you guys use for hearing protection?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I prefer muffs, but at the same time hate them because I can't wear my glasses comfortably or get a cheek weld on a rifle. Therefore I use the rubber ear insert ones. Not as easy to take out when talking, but at least they are comfortable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That I do not know. I shoot mostly IDPA and handguns and I never have ringing ears or anything like that after watching 20 people shooting various calibers at about 45 bullets each.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are they just as effective?
Part of that will depend on what kind of ear insert plugs you get and what kind of muffs you were using. They will show the rating for how many decibels they block on the box it's usually number like 26 28, etc. Custom molded ear plugs that go in your ear will typically block just a little more than the ones that you roll up and stick in your ear. I also use the in ear insert plugs and find the to work well. The key to using them is to roll them up and slip them in there a little ways (not too far it's not good for your ears) and then just hold them in place until they expand and make a good seal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always use plugs. The plugs I use have a -26 db rating, I have yet to see muffs that can beat that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always use plugs. The plugs I use have a -26 db rating, I have yet to see muffs that can beat that.
I've got a set that is rated at -29db, but it was hard to find them - I had to search. They're Radians Terminator.

But back on subject, as others recommended, use plugs for the rifle and muffs for the handgun. For the long term, a combination of both is better for your hearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only use ear-plugs because they have a consistent seal and reduce noise at least as effectively. On occasion I have used both plugs and muffs just to reduce the noise a little more when shooting a louder gun or when there are several shooters at an indoor range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the really cheap orange ones at walmart i find to work better then anything i have tried. when they are new (used five times or less) well accually go into your ear. i havent had other earplugs that will go in as far. i dont stick them in too far but they are in there pretty good. i allways use these and i have never had any problems. i have sensitive hears and any loud noise tends to hurt even driving on the free way 75 mph+ with the windows down will hurt my ears(i have worn my earplugs on the free way a couple times, and yes i know its not the safest thing since i wouldnt be able to hear car horns or sirens but i dont want to damage my hearing)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only time that i wear mickey mouse's is when im at an indoor range, and thats coupled with your standard foam plugs.

typically i just use the yellow foam, or if i know that i'm going to be taking them in and out a few times, silencio has some inexpensive models on sale at wal mart that are hard(ish) rubber in a lanyard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me, too... I prefer muffs but now just use them for handguns. Rifles I use those free plugs we get at work.

Amazingly, the plugs are rated at 4db better than my muffs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the really cheap orange ones at walmart i find to work better then anything i have tried. when they are new (used five times or less) well accually go into your ear. i havent had other earplugs that will go in as far. i dont stick them in too far but they are in there pretty good. i allways use these and i have never had any problems. i have sensitive hears and any loud noise tends to hurt even driving on the free way 75 mph+ with the windows down will hurt my ears(i have worn my earplugs on the free way a couple times, and yes i know its not the safest thing since i wouldnt be able to hear car horns or sirens but i dont want to damage my hearing)
I'm like you. I ALWAYS wear earplugs when I'm on my bike if it involves getting on the freeway.

I use Howard Leight MAX foam earplugs (neon orange!) at indoor ranges. They have a NRR of 33. Doesn't get in the way when I'm shooting my rifle and works awesome. If I'm outside I use surefire's sonic defenders. They work great at blocking impulse noise (gunshots) but still allow you to hear lower decibels pretty good. They also have a plug on it so it works like a normal earplug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*SNIP* i have sensitive hears and any loud noise tends to hurt even driving on the free way 75 mph+ with the windows down will hurt my ears(i have worn my earplugs on the free way a couple times, and yes i know its not the safest thing since i wouldnt be able to hear car horns or sirens but i dont want to damage my hearing)
I wear ear plugs all the time driving my truck at work. It is loud in there. OSHA recommends hearing protection for any noise level where you have to raise your voice to be heard. I hear better wearing ear plugs, if that makes any sense. They cut 29db of noise - you can hear the engine, CB, Radio, etc just fine - (sure, they are loud if you aren't wearing plugs)
Your ears adjust to the sound levels and you can hear what you need to hear just fine. I carry conversations on all the time wearing plugs, just gotta raise your voice a bit :)

ETA: Auto supply store is a great source for ear plugs ... I like the soft foam rated for -29db

1 - 17 of 17 Posts