AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls,

I was sighting in my EOTech today and would shoot 3 shots, check the target, adjust and shoot 3 more. However, every now and then my rifle would simply not fire. The trigger would not allow me to press it all the way rearward. Almost like it was on safety. I would eject a round, click it on safety, then fire and try once again to shoot. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not.

I recently installed a Hogue grip and was certain to install the small spring inside the handle correctly. This is very irritating as I have no clue what it could be. I always properly lube/clean my rifles/pistols too.

I was shooting 55 grain PMC rounds through my Armalite lower/Rock River upper rifle. These were not reloaded rounds.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bolt not going all the way into battery maybe? Try whacking your forward assist next time it doesn't want to release the hammer. Otherwise, remove new parts and put old parts back on to eliminate the possibility of some odd ball failure caused by a grip of all things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe your trigger is not resetting?

Maybe you do not have it all the way on "Fire" and is still on safe?

If you installed the sping you sould be good to go. The spring is just for the safety anyways. Check to see if the Spring goes to far down compared to your old grip.

You can also try a bunch of single shot dry fire excercises to see if she loosens up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bolt not going all the way into battery maybe? Try whacking your forward assist next time it doesn't want to release the hammer. Otherwise, remove new parts and put old parts back on to eliminate the possibility of some odd ball failure caused by a grip of all things.
I made sure the bolt was going all the way forward into battery. I did slap the forward assist to make double sure. I may try removing the new grip and replacing with the old to see if thats the problem. I sure do like that Hogue grip through. :p

Maybe your trigger is not resetting?

Maybe you do not have it all the way on "Fire" and is still on safe?

If you installed the sping you sould be good to go. The spring is just for the safety anyways. Check to see if the Spring goes to far down compared to your old grip.

You can also try a bunch of single shot dry fire excercises to see if she loosens up.
I made sure to press the safety switch completely to "fire" and "safe" each time, but it still continued to do it. I will replace the new grip with the old and see if that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what caliber is your ar? 115 grains? is it in 6.8 SPC?

it could be for what ever reason that you hammer isnt staying back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you get to a round that doesnt fire dont pull it out all the way slowly pull it out and if the hammer isnt cocked you will hear a click and see your trigger go forward a little bit. that way you can narrow it down a little

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure you didn't lose the detent when you took the old pistol grip off ?
Does your gun "click" when you put it on safe and fire ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what caliber is your ar? 115 grains? is it in 6.8 SPC?

it could be for what ever reason that you hammer isnt staying back
I apologize, I was firing 55 grain PMC ammo. I dunno what I was thinking when i typed 115 grain. My mistake.

when you get to a round that doesnt fire dont pull it out all the way slowly pull it out and if the hammer isnt cocked you will hear a click and see your trigger go forward a little bit. that way you can narrow it down a little
I just dry-fired my rifle at least 50-75 times and it didn't occur one time. I don't know if that means it only occurs when it's loaded or what.:confused:

Are you sure you didn't lose the detent when you took the old pistol grip off ?
Does your gun "click" when you put it on safe and fire ?
I am pretty sure. I replaced the spring just as it was on the original grip.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I have seen the primer fall out of a shell and bind up the trigger, but when the gun was turned just so, it moved out of the way until the recoil knocked it back into a bind. Maybe......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I apologize, I was firing 55 grain PMC ammo. I dunno what I was thinking when i typed 115 grain. My mistake.

I just dry-fired my rifle at least 50-75 times and it didn't occur one time. I don't know if that means it only occurs when it's loaded or what.:confused:

I am pretty sure. I replaced the spring just as it was on the original grip.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
well odds are its only goiung to do it when the parts are moving at full speed. so when your shooting next and it doesnt fire then test it. my keltec su16 would do this when i bumb fired it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FIXED IT - I took it to my local gun shop and he took the trigger assembly completely apart. Guess what? It was a damn PRIMER stuck in the trigger assembly! they said it was not uncommon to see actually. And they charged me $0.00 :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Score one for me. No seriously it is even documented in bushmasters book if I am not mistaken. Dam little things that just blow your mind. Glad it all worked out and better that its free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts