AR15 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to do USPSA three gun matches. I don't have a rifle currently.

If you feel like it, post builds and approximate prices for a good as cheap as possible entry level AR for competition. I'm in California thus I'll have to use the monsterman grip and no prohibited add-ons(flash hider, vertical foregrip and a few other things I can't remember at the moment). I'll get an off list lower at a local shop.

No guarantee that I'll do as recommended, or that something won't come up and I'll decide to pay my bills instead of building a rifle, but if you want to share your opinions, go for it!

Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys,

I want to do USPSA three gun matches. I don't have a rifle currently.

If you feel like it, post builds and approximate prices for a good as cheap as possible entry level AR for competition. I'm in California thus I'll have to use the monsterman grip and no prohibited add-ons(flash hider, vertical foregrip and a few other things I can't remember at the moment). I'll get an off list lower at a local shop.

No guarantee that I'll do as recommended, or that something won't come up and I'll decide to pay my bills instead of building a rifle, but if you want to share your opinions, go for it!

Thanks for the help.
*Get the new Remington R-15 lower, it is too new to be on "the list" and is built by a company with a better reputation than most "off list" manufacturers.
*Then order a Rock River 16" barrell upper with the mid length gas system and a free float handguard, it is a heavy barrell profile that is very accurate for the money.
*Take the upper to a reputable smith and they can have it fluted to cut weight, increase heat dissapation and still retain rigidity.

**Lastly and most importantly go and slap all of the normal people that you know in the back of the head and tell them to go vote Pelosi, Feinstein and Boxer out of office! Contrary to popular opinion the normal people outnumber the rest in California but have become complacent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I know the question seemed a little out of left field, a newbie posting in the AR talk? I am an XD owner, I tend to read more than I post.

Your advice is pretty in-line with what I've been told elsewhere. Now I just have to save the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start with a stripped lower (any reputable manufacturer will work). I've used Stag, DPMS, RRA and Essential Arms with out any issues.

I like to buy all the pins, springs, grip, trigger and "lower stuff" individually for my ARs. That way I don't end-up with a bunch of left-over parts from a factory "lower parts kit" that I'll never use.

Get a decent single-stage, non-adjustable trigger (I like the 3# Jard, but YMMV) and use some sort of locking hammer/trigger pins (KNS or the like). You don't want set screws coming loose on you in the middle of a match, and you surely don't want to lose a trigger/hammer pin.

Work over your BCG! Bad gas seals and weak extractors can ruin a good day. I'm talking flatten the gas key, locktite it on and stake the screws. Throw some extra power springs and a heavy-duty o-ring in there while you're at it. If you don't know how or don't want to do it yourself, send one out to be done or buy one already done... I think Denny sells some "super duty" BCGs over at Global Tactical already done.

Get a durable, comfortable, fixed, light weight stock. There is no need for telescoping stocks in 3 gun.

I like a 16" barrel with a medium profile and chrome-lined chamber and bore. 16" is more than adequate for 3 gun distances while keeping the weight low. I also think HBARs are over-kill here. My preference for the chrome-lining is just because I like to shoot Wolf (steel cased) ammo for high volume practice to save money. I feel better shooting steel cases in a chromed chamber.

On the subject of barrels... Get one that is threaded and put a good muzzle brake on it. You may think it's silly to put a brake on a soft recoiling .223, but fast follow-up shots are the name of the game. Every little bit helps (I even go so far as to add an Enidine hydraulic buffer to soften things even more).

For a forend, stay away from rails. There is really no need for rails on a 3 gun AR. They're just another thing that can get caught on clothes (or something else) and mess-up an otherwise good day. Smooth FFTs are the way to go.

I won't touch on sights much. Everyone has their preference. My eyes suck, so I use a Millett DMS-1 (1-4x) scope and shoot the "Tactical" division.

I do a couple other small things on some of my ARs that you may or may not want to do... I use oversized magazine release buttons, "tactical" bolt catches, tac-latches and Arredondo magazine wells.

A lot of AR building and parts selection is subjective, but if you start with a well-constructed base, you'll eventually end-up with a good, reliable AR for gaming.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracer tong I am in your shoes as well. I Put a lower together a few months ago and that is all the farther I got on the ar build for 3 gun. I am trying to do it as inexpensive as possible which means spending lots of time everyday going throught the EE on arf.com Those guys jump on a deal in mere minutes after something is posted so I check it at least 3 times a day. Hooz great post it helped me out as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ACOGsss (can you tell I"m a fan of the ACOG)

Rails for 3 gun with no foregrip serve no purpose. Unless you wear gloves and like grabbing something that rough which few people do.

You don't need a collapsible stock, though I don't like the standard stocks due to weight, not sure what other options there are, but I bet you can find a nice alternative. I like magpull personally (even though they are collapsible, they are a little nicer)

Go buy a nice muzzle break, your required to wear hearing protection anyways I assume so, go buy a really good one, a gill from saberdefense I think would suit you wonderfully, there are cheaper alternatives though, buy more than a flashhider though.

Unless you like open sites, don't think I need to say this but don't buy an a2 upper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts