AR15 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gun dealer I frequent showed me one of these AR variants that he had ordered for a client.

http://www.highstandard.com/milspec.html

To tell the truth...it looked as nice as any Stag or Bushmaster AR I have shot or thought about buying. Very well put together and the M4 clone in its basic trim would run me 699 plus tax.

Anyone own one of these? They sure seem like a heck of a bargain and beat the pants off most lower priced ARs in this range (the Olympics and DMPS guns). Another plus is that the company is located about 15 miles from my house.

I called their factory and talked to one of the reps and he said they hired two AR builders away from Colt and started building these guns. This company has always built a very nice target 22 pistol, so the reputaiton for quality is definately there. The guy was very helpful and had all the confidence in the world in their new AR line and said if I had any problems...just drop it by. Nice.

So...does anybody in AR- Land own a High Standard AR rifle? I am about a month or so away form buying an AR (probably a Stag Model 2 or Rock River TASC) but this High Standard M4 was one nice looking piece of hardware and made right down the street by very helpful people.

Any and all opinions on the High Standard ARs would be appreicated. I asked my dealer about these and he told me he has sold about 10 of them and none came back. Good sign.

I admit...I am encyclopedic on certain types of guns but an pretty much "AR- stupid" and with he amount I will spend on this rifle, I want to get the right one. If I could get it for 700 bucks plus tax...well...so much the better!

Thanks in advance.

- Brickboy240

PS: My AR needs are along the lines of what most people use a 30-30 for: ranch carry gun for varmints, plinking and playing around. No competition, match shooting and I probably will NOT scope it or hang tons of stuff on it. I plan on putting a nice sling on it, buying mags and ammo and calling it good. After 3 1911s...I am done with tinkering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Eh, I dont have a complete rifle, but my lower half is High Standard, and its great.

Hell theyre based out of Houston... you could go pay em a visit :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fondled one of these about a month ago. In looking it over I didn't see anything that would drive me away from buying it. That is my only experience with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I handled the High Standard and the only other AR he had in his store - a S&W M&P15 and I swear I could not see any difference in build quality or fit and finish. It was that good.

I own several early Winchesters, Brownings, Berettas and other high end guns so I know fit and finish and the High Standard shocked the hell out of me.

Really though, I shot one of their target 22s about 15 years ago and it was a beauty, so they can build nice looking stuff.

Yes, the fact that they're local is a huge factor...unless the consenus is they're junk.

- Brickboy240

1 - 4 of 4 Posts