AR15 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Good luck getting one. I think those are only being sold to military and LE right now. H&K is like Colt when it comes to sells of firearms to civs.......they are hesitant to do so.

Look in their civilian sales section of that website and there are only two long guns for sale to "us". The civilian UMP, and a civilianized G36. Besides cost that is why I am hesitant to give either company my money.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I knew they wern't selling a civilian 416, But I wouldn't mind looking into it if they do. In the show I watch the guy put 60rds through both th AR and the HK416, the AR's barrel lit a match, the HK did not, additionally he immedatly popped the bolt out and held it in his hand.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
If you want a piston AR Magpul is about to put the Masada on the market. I've heard good things about those.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I still want a magpul, but if you currently own an AR already, there are a few companies selling piston kits you can swap out with the gas tube.

That's really the bulk of the difference in a regular AR and a piston upper anyway.

http://www.aresdefense.com/product.html

http://gaspiston.com/

Or if you want a complete upper ready to go, Bushmaster, Vulcan Arms, POF as well as a couple others offer piston uppers too without trading in the gun for another.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
John A.: Thats great because that's all I was really looking for thanks. But Holy Crap it cost $200 less than what I paid for the gun it's self.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Bushmaster piston AR15. The piston design is by POF-USA. Works very well. I dumped 3 30rd mags in about 45 seconds and pulled the bolt out and held it in my hand just like that guy did with Hk416. A full 416 upper is going for about $1200 while the Bushmaster is only $950. What they're not showing you is that you can light a match on the internals of the gas block. The difference is that the heat and fouling is staying out of the critical functioning parts.

G

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
John A.: Thats great because that's all I was really looking for thanks. But Holy Crap it cost $200 less than what I paid for the gun it's self.
Are you talking about a complete upper, or the Ares conversion???

Or, you could try to sell your existing upper and that will lend you some difference in $$$ toward buying the complete upper you're wanting too if that's a consideration and the route you want to take.

Personally, I think the Ares is the best looking conversion out there right now. Especially the way the bolt carrier is made and the piston is spring loaded. For what you get with it and how it's designed, I honestly think it's a good value. After all, exchanging a gas tube is almost as easy as falling down stairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Just the upper for the HK 416 are running upwards of $4000. Supposedly, according to sources at HKPRO.COM, HK will be releasing the 416 type uppers to civvies in the near future, should be around $2k. The Ares kit is nice but you are very limited as far as handguards. I believe they are supposed to come out with a railed handguard for their conversion (might take as long as the SHRIKE!).

I like the LWRC (Leitner-Wise) setup (I believe it is the SRT). Gas piston, same heat reduction/dissapation and they offer it in 5.56 and 6.8. Machowitz (sp?) just did a feature on it on Futureweapons. Showed him pulling it out of water and firing away with no problems (it has drain holes to allow the water to quickly evacuate and not foul the gas system or barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Last HK416 upper I saw on sturmgewehr was $4000. If you want a gas piston upper with great features and awesome accuracy try the Patriot Ordnance. I have shot one and they are indeed awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Unless I am looking at the wrong thing it's $500 for the conversion.
Heh. If you think the conversion kits are expensive, wait until you try to get a full "gas piston" rifle. Even the relatively less expensive ones that are already being built here--like POF and LWRC--are running around $1800 to $2000 just for a basic gas piston rifle. You can get a Sig 556 for around 1400, but again, no better than your basic AR that you pay about $750 to $850 for.

I think you'll find that if you research these, for the average civilian owner of an AR, the gas pistons rifles are not giving you anything that you really need, and they are just doubling or tripling what you'd pay for a basic AR. Spend the difference on ammo, or get a second AR. They won't make you shoot any better, and they just add weight, more moving parts and stuff to break down, and expense, to your rifle. These will really only help high volume military shooters operating in a harsh climate where the cleaner operation will make a big difference to them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Skrew HK and their poor excuse of a political stance.. I'll own an HK knock off (PTR91 for example) but nothing by HK because they want us poorly trained, under edumacated civilians unarmed.

Not to mention seeing as HK choose to ignore the US (and in some cases the European) civilian markets, several great companies got the chance to step in to fill the HK over priced void. POF, LWRC, Robar and several others make weapons as good if not better than HK in the piston AR arena.

So why would you support a company that isn't 2nd Amd. friendly?

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the 416 is nifty 'n' all, but you're better off getting an XCR. It's closer to human-affordable.

http://www.robarm.com/
+1 on the XCR.

Only problem with the XCR is the 2 stage trigger. It is heavy, very heavy. Bill Springfield will reduce it to about 4.5 lbs and make it a single stage trigger. So far reports of Bill's trigger job is A++++ with a very clean and consistent break.

As for an AR piston system, they are expensive, and the bottom line is it is still an AR with AR issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts