AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Holosight and I have a few questions. What do you use to attach the Holo (or EOTech) to the rifle? Do I have to buy some sort of mount? Also since I have a detachable handle (as my rear sight) and a regular front sight post, should I replace these two with flip ups?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The EOTech or Bushnell holo have a built in mount to attach direct to the receiver rail. Leave your regular front sight and replace the rear with a backup iron sight (BUIS)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Eotech comes with a screw to mount directly to your upper. If you want QD, look at LaRue or GG&G. The GG&G won't raise your optic any, the LaRue will. Some prefer a flip up rear with a EO, some prefer a standard A2 sight picture. You can always chop your carry handle into a BUIS..... Or I have a RRA Dominator II Eotech mount I'm selling.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Eotech comes with a screw to mount directly to your upper. If you want QD, look at LaRue or GG&G. The GG&G won't raise your optic any, the LaRue will. Some prefer a flip up rear with a EO, some prefer a standard A2 sight picture. You can always chop your carry handle into a BUIS..... Or I have a RRA Dominator II Eotech mount I'm selling.;)
Whats the difference between a flip up rear sight picture and an A2 sight picture?

I saw you had the dominator mount for sale but I didnt know what it was until I just looked it up. The info I saw said that you can use BUIS with the EOTech mounted and you're sighting through the bottom of the EOTech sight window. Anyone got pictures of this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the difference between a flip up rear sight picture and an A2 sight picture?

I saw you had the dominator mount for sale but I didnt know what it was until I just looked it up. The info I saw said that you can use BUIS with the EOTech mounted and you're sighting through the bottom of the EOTech sight window. Anyone got pictures of this?
The sight picture won't per-say be different, more accurately speaking with an A2 it will always be present in your field of view. Where as with a flip as is implied it can be flipped down out of you FOV.

I like the fixed BUIS because it is what I learned on and am accustomed to.

The dominator mount will give you a lower 1/3 co-witness. Mounting directly to the upper will give you an absolute CW.

I'm slightly indifferent on which co-witness I like most, and it is really a matter of personal preference IMO.

Sorry I don't have pics, I'm sure someone will post some though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks AJ. I would like to see pictures of peoples set up. I will try the picture posting thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kinda like this set up but I dont have rails on the handguard. Is that going to be a problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a link that will show ya the difference in lower 1/3 vs absolute CW, (at the bottom of the page). http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/sightsopticsfaq.msnw

EO pic thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=360890

From the pic you posted it looks like the EO is still sitting on the receiver rail, the battery compartment is just hanging over the HG. So you will be GTG there.

Keep in mind when selecting your BUIS what optic options you may select down the road as well.... I didn't which is why I have the dominator for sale. The ARMS may or may not clear under a traditional scope, best bet would be to go for a low profile BUIS if a flip is what you decide to run with.

When I finalized the BUIS I was going to use I went with the Troy, spendy but the cats a$$ IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a link that will show ya the difference in lower 1/3 vs absolute CW, (at the bottom of the page). http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/sightsopticsfaq.msnw

EO pic thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=360890

From the pic you posted it looks like the EO is still sitting on the receiver rail, the battery compartment is just hanging over the HG. So you will be GTG there.

Keep in mind when selecting your BUIS what optic options you may select down the road as well.... I didn't which is why I have the dominator for sale. The ARMS may or may not clear under a traditional scope, best bet would be to go for a low profile BUIS if a flip is what you decide to run with.

When I finalized the BUIS I was going to use I went with the Troy, spendy but the cats a$$ IMO.
The pictures in the link you posted, what does the large circle represent? It throws me off. Good link, that AR15 one. Is the Troy rear sight a low profile? I also like the LMT one that looks like it came from a detachable handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't have a AA version like Eo's do? I went with the 552 anyways because on my it'd be nice to have list is a pair of NVG's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pictures in the link you posted, what does the large circle represent? It throws me off. Good link, that AR15 one. Is the Troy rear sight a low profile? I also like the LMT one that looks like it came from a detachable handle.
The larger circle around the dot? Most Eo's have a 1 MOA dot in the center, and a 65 MOA circle around. 1 MOA for precision, 65 for fast target aqusition.

Yes on the Troy. ARMS, GG&G, and others make LP buis as well. I have no experience with LMT so I can only speak about them from what I have heard and that is they are GTG. Oh, I lied I do have a spare LMT bolt and firing pin as backup in my magpul grip.

If you haven't seen it here is the BUIS thread from ARFCOM: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They don't have a AA version like Eo's do? I went with the 552 anyways because on my it'd be nice to have list is a pair of NVG's
It is only small differences between all the different EO models? 510, 511, 551, 552, etc?

I only checked on opticsplanet.com they say the Holo takes N.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The larger circle around the dot? Most Eo's have a 1 MOA dot in the center, and a 65 MOA circle around. 1 MOA for precision, 65 for fast target aqusition.
Then whats the smaller blue circle and how come the dot keeps moving around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My mistake, I mis-spoke. The blue circle represents your rear sight aperture. The example shows only a single dot, which would lead me to believe that it is a representation of an aimpoint.

Did you stare at the dot too long and it got wobbly on ya? j/k.:p

I assume you mean moving around in the example pictures? The top 2 pics show what you would see looking through the rear sights as you would without an optic, in both absolute, and lower 3rd CW. The bottom 2 pics show what you would see looking over your rear sight as you would when using a red dot type optic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They don't have a AA version like Eo's do?
They used to did. I have one mounted on my .223 SBR'd upper.

Here's a couple pics to help you understand about the sight picture, but my camera won't focus on everything as good as an eye will. Things are much clearer in person.

No cowitness--straight optics

Using a front sight. This one is a YHM rail mount flip up.

Front and rear cowitness. Yes, I know it's a horrid pic, but I only meant it for reference anyway.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, Eo's and Holosights rock for local calling.:wink: And I do prefer a true cowitness for a lot of reasons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They used to did. I have one mounted on my .223 SBR'd upper.

Here's a couple pics to help you understand about the sight picture, but my camera won't focus on everything as good as an eye will. Things are much clearer in person.

No cowitness--straight optics

Using a front sight. This one is a YHM rail mount flip up.

Front and rear cowitness. Yes, I know it's a horrid pic, but I only meant it for reference anyway.

Hope this helps. In my opinion, Eo's and Holosights rock for local calling.:wink: And I do prefer a true cowitness for a lot of reasons.
Thanks for the pictures John. So the only way to have straight optic is to have flip up front and rear sights? Whats the benefits of co-witness?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pictures John. So the only way to have straight optic is to have flip up front and rear sights? Whats the benefits of co-witness?
If your optic fails, then you can use whatever backup sights you have without removing it.

I'd go with a fixed front and flip-up rear, but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts