AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing pictures of everyones amazing guns and I want one bad. I dont know crap about ARs i've been trying to read as much as I can. I don't care if its a kit or if I have to work up the knowledge to put it together I want one. I dont need all the fancy crap yet, I just want something I can put together and shoot. Any help at all would be great. I dont even know where to begin looking for parts, i've been looking at kits already at various places I see people post.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the major brand manufactures for a complete rifle and also the well known manufactures of lowers and uppers. If you want to build one, buy it piece by piece as you find a part thta you want. It also will spread out the cost if thats a concern for you.

If you do a search on here you will find lots of info on brands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what I've seen, piece by piece is actually more expensive vs rifle kit + stripped lower.

go to life liberty etc to see videos of how to assemble an AR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep seeing pictures of everyones amazing guns and I want one bad. I dont know crap about ARs i've been trying to read as much as I can. I don't care if its a kit or if I have to work up the knowledge to put it together I want one. I dont need all the fancy crap yet, I just want something I can put together and shoot. Any help at all would be great. I dont even know where to begin looking for parts, i've been looking at kits already at various places I see people post.

Hey, another one with BRD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried to look at as much as I can. I know I want something I can have fun with at the range and have in my house incase SHTF. So I know for now I dont need amazing ACOG scopes or the best of the best. I just dont know enough about them to be able to purchase peice by peice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the easy route...

I was dieing to get an AR, but could not budget it.

Go purchase a SIAGA 7.62 16". The SIAGA is a AK with the fire control mechs changed out to supposedly make it harder to take full auto. They are made in Russia by IZHMASH, who make the AK. I picked up one, brand new, at a local gun show for $249. I went to Siagastock.com and replaced the "hunting" stock with a Tapco stock.

It's an AK dressed up to look like a hunting rifle, and I do use it to hunt.

Before:

After:

Lots of guys will go through the effort to fully convert the piece to a "true AK", but candidly, I just want to shoot it and have some fun.... If you do convert, be careful re: US Parts content, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Russian - American Armory Company

Cannot find server - www.saigastock.comtapco stock with pistol grip, $99

If you're just looking for fun, AR....AK...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figure out your budget and what gadgets you want. I swore I would have a basic AR but now I have a grip and the desire to get an EOTech.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think we need a support group for people with Black Rifle Disease :) Sounds all too familiar... all starts the same way...I just want a simple rifle.. then you gotta have a bad ass optic $$$ then you need 1000k ammo cha-ching.... then you need a tacticool quad rail... cha-ching $$$... then you need a fancy case.. then a safe... then a cool butstock... then a surefire light... then you wanna build another rifle cause your bored with what you got... then your wife leaves and your just a lonely old dude with 20 guns and every accessory known to man...

it can happen to you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figure the starting budget will be around 650. Thats why I know Ill either have to build it my own, or get a cheaper kit. The kits on Model1Sales seemed to be a good price, I don't know if peicing one together would be cheaper?

Yes, I do have BRD. It all started two months ago when I held my first XD, then Friday when I purchased my Remington870 synthetic. I have a problem, but hell its a problem im more then happy to have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CMMG still has bargain bin rifles for 570.00 +$15 shipping to your local FFL they are great weapons and will do exactly what you want them to do. unless you will be fighting crime or oppression in the middle east do not fall in to the Name brand game.

for light home defense and range time a DPMS, OLY are fine weapons. and if you decide later that you want to upgrade you can make it just as reliable as anything else out there buy changing out your major components

Once the Dems get in and start trying to pass another AWB all that will matter is that you already have a preban lower no matter what kind it is.

alot of AR people will tell you to stay away from DPMS or OLY well about 99% of all ARs have parts made by DPMS (which is the same company that makes bushmaster) even the beloved colts have DPMS parts in them

and no matter what brand you choose there is a potential for failure after all they are man made and mass produced.

with all that said i have have a DPMS and a Stag and i am working on building a compete LMT that i am going to have registered as a SBR and a tax stamp for a suppressor and i have as much fun shooting one as i do the next.

my next AW is going to be an MP5 in a semi auto config (only because i cant afford the full auto sear)

to sum it all up get whatever suites your needs, wants, desire and budget after all once the evil BRD takes hold you will want as many as you can get your hands on

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please review the information on this link: If you own an AR15, it will change the way you view the "field of AR's that are out there.

If you are looking to purchase or build an AR15, it will make a HUGE impact on your choices.

There are "sport rifles" and there are "battle rifles"....

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've read almost all of that, I'm thinking about just going with CMMG the only thing is I could swear I read that they werent chrome-lined. Isn't that something that you want pretty standard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alot of AR people will tell you to stay away from DPMS or OLY well about 99% of all ARs have parts made by DPMS (which is the same company that makes bushmaster) even the beloved colts have DPMS parts in them

Where do you come up with this sh!t ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I open my eyes and read, lots and lots,

but if saying that one is better than another helps you feel better about how you spend your money its all good,

but you really should stop forcing your LMT COLT propaganda down peoples throats especially if they are not planning on defending the world with it,

its really pretty simple for simple paper punching and light Home defense just about any AR will do just about any optic will do.

its all about have the right tools for the right job and punching paper well that isn't quite the same ball park as ridding the world of oppression,

DPMS is one of the leading supplier of AR parts believe it or not. even if its just one simple little spring in your colt its still a DPMS part

actually i wonder where you come up with half your AR snobbery BS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think we need a support group for people with Black Rifle Disease :) Sounds all too familiar... all starts the same way...I just want a simple rifle.. then you gotta have a bad ass optic $$$ then you need 1000k ammo cha-ching.... then you need a tacticool quad rail... cha-ching $$$... then you need a fancy case.. then a safe... then a cool butstock... then a surefire light... then you wanna build another rifle cause your bored with what you got... then your wife leaves and your just a lonely old dude with 20 guns and every accessory known to man...

it can happen to you
ROFL!!! +1 :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I open my eyes and read, lots and lots,

but if saying that one is better than another helps you feel better about how you spend your money its all good,

if saying that your Del-Ton upper is as good as a Colt or LMT helps you sleep at night, more power to ya bud.

but you really should stop forcing your LMT COLT propaganda down peoples throats especially if they are not planning on defending the world with it,

Show me where I am FORCING LMT or Colt propaganda or any propaganda

Propaganda by Wikipedia

Propaganda is a concerted set of messages aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of large numbers of people. Instead of impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. The most effective propaganda is often completely truthful, but some propaganda presents facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience

its really pretty simple for simple paper punching and light Home defense just about any AR will do just about any optic will do.

its all about have the right tools for the right job and punching paper well that isn't quite the same ball park as ridding the world of oppression,

If you want to maybe someday have to defend your families lives on a simple paper puncher go right ahead.

DPMS is one of the leading supplier of AR parts believe it or not. even if its just one simple little spring in your colt its still a DPMS part

Show me what part Colt contracts DPMS to make for them.

actually i wonder where you come up with half your AR snobbery BS

Actually I wonder what your problem with me is. Seems like all you want to do is say I'm spreading whatever propaganda it is for whatever the thread happens to be.

AR "snobbery" sheesh.....:roll:
here's another :roll: for you

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/63435-dpms-vs-oly.html

Here is a thread where you are once again spreading misinformation, saying that

"Get the DPMS they are fine for range fun, i have a DPMS well sorta have a DPMS its a DPMS lower and a Del-ton upper (DPMS owns Del-Ton)"

Well I emailed Del-Ton Inc. and asked them if they are "owned" by DPMS......here is the reply....

"Nope, that's not true at all! We carry some DPMS parts and that's
about as close of a connection that we've got!
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Kassandra"

now show me what part Colt buys from DPMS ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are thinking AR15 you can save money doing a build kit. But you will end up spending more if you build the AR10 model.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts