AR15 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have officially crossed over! I am now the proud father of a S&W M&P15X. Before anyone asks, no, I dont have pics yet. To tell the truth, I have never even taken pictures with the wifes digi cam, let alone download any on the PC. Maybe she can help me out with that later. I am surprised I was even able to put the rifle down long enough to type this message. Picked up 2 PMAGS at the time of purchase, next will be 1000 rounds of ammo. What should I buy after that? One gentleman at my local G.C. suggested a parts kit. What do you guys think. I am stoked!

Got a three gun match coming up this weekend, and was hoping someone could help me out with the break in procedure on the rifle. I probably will not shoot it in the match as I am completely new to the platform, and wouldnt feel safe without being more familiar with the rifle. But i will give em hell with my XD! Any info is greatly appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have officially crossed over! I am now the proud father of a S&W M&P15X. Before anyone asks, no, I dont have pics yet. To tell the truth, I have never even taken pictures with the wifes digi cam, let alone download any on the PC. Maybe she can help me out with that later. I am surprised I was even able to put the rifle down long enough to type this message. Picked up 2 PMAGS at the time of purchase, next will be 1000 rounds of ammo. What should I buy after that? One gentleman at my local G.C. suggested a parts kit. What do you guys think. I am stoked!

Got a three gun match coming up this weekend, and was hoping someone could help me out with the break in procedure on the rifle. I probably will not shoot it in the match as I am completely new to the platform, and wouldnt feel safe without being more familiar with the rifle. But i will give em hell with my XD! Any info is greatly appreciated!
Basically, field strip it, clean and lube it, then shoot the livin bajeebers out of it, adding more lube once in a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as stated, with a newer AR just keep it wet. During a match or shooting every now and then take the bolt out and lube it up real good and continue shooting.

other than that...just clean it and shoot the heck out of it.

PICS!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please remember, I am a newb. First stupid question: exactly where, how, and how much on the lube?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, I dont have pics yet. blah, blah, blah, blah, never even taken pictures blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Maybe she can help me out with that later.blah, blah, blah, blah
Am I hearing you correctly?

Now you are grounded from the forum until we have pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learn to use your Iron sights! Get through about 1k of ammo with that and then start thinking about options. At that point you'll know what the intended use of the weapon will be - meaning where it fits into your needs/wants - also take it with you to your match.. plenty of guys there will be able to help you understand the parts and what needs lube.. Not to mention they should be able to help you understand how to sight it in.

Give some thought to what range you want to Zero your sights at.. some use the 100yrd (or meter) others use 50yrd (or meter) zero ranges. Search around here and you'll see some discussion on that.

So get your wife to help ya, cause until you post pictures, this is all a figment of your imagination!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can someone give me the short version of how to get the pics from my PC to the website, please?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to photobucket.com and create a free account, if you don't already have one. Once you have an account there will be a window towards the top with 'Browse' on it. Click that button. It will now open a box that shows your computer and the file system. Navigate to that file and double click on it. Click upload or you can add more files if you have more than 1.

Once you have uploaded them to photobucket it will show all the images you have in your album. To add them to your posts here, you just click on the IMG Code box and it should automatically copy it for you. Then in the post box here you just paste it and submit reply.

If I left something out, somebody will say so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Learn to use your Iron sights! Get through about 1k of ammo with that and then start thinking about options. At that point you'll know what the intended use of the weapon will be - meaning where it fits into your needs/wants - also take it with you to your match.. plenty of guys there will be able to help you understand the parts and what needs lube.. Not to mention they should be able to help you understand how to sight it in.

Give some thought to what range you want to Zero your sights at.. some use the 100yrd (or meter) others use 50yrd (or meter) zero ranges. Search around here and you'll see some discussion on that.

So get your wife to help ya, cause until you post pictures, this is all a figment of your imagination!
Learning to use your iron sights is very good advice, I strongly recommend you follow Badshots advice in this area. Zero your AR on a 25 meter zeroing target (25 meters = 27.3403 yards ). With your rifle zeroed at 25 meters it is also zeroed at 300 meters, then learn your point of impact at different ranges. With my rifle zeroed for 25 meters my point of impact at 10 yards is slightly less than the height from my bore to the top of my front sight, if I project a mental image of my front sight at a 10 yard target and aim that distance high my point of impact is on the X in the X ring. God forbid I ever have to use my rifle to defend my family but at the average distance I would have to fire at someone in my home I aim for the hairline and the point of imapct is right between the eyes. Shoot at targets at 10, 25, 50, 75, 100yds etc. and learn your point of imact at each range so you can compensate for distance without adjusting your sights. The .223 round is a flat enough shooting round that you can aim center mass on a head sized target out to 150 yds without compensating for distance and make reliable headshots.

Whatever optic you mount if you do, always mount with a quick detach mount because stuff malfunctions and usually at the worst possible time.

Shoot, enjoy, learn, repeat. Shoot, enjoy, learn, repeat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will try to have pics up ASAP. Hopefully a range report to follow within a few days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got iron sights with it, right? I've heard lately that some of the dealers or wearhouses have been stealing the iron sights off of the S&W ARs.

Hardwarz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts