AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get more answers here in the AR Talk room on a internet forum not dedicated to AR's than other internet forums that specialize in AR's. I won't name any .coms' but some of the other ones I peruse just seem like most (not all) of the users are snobs. Go figure!

/vent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, glad you are here. There is a lack of SNOBS around here, which is one of the reason I stay..... plus there are a lot of knowledgeable folks hanging around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i belong to a lot of AR and gun related boards, and you are right, this particular one aint too shabby.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's probably the natural evolution of forums. I'm sure those AR-dedicated ones were pretty good when they were new. Same thing probably for GlockTalk. The same things happen on Mustang message boards. The really large ones like Corral and Stangnet have evolved into a haven for self-proclaimed experts and are overflowing with commercial sponsors. The newer ones are still the place to get answers without being bashed by Search and Repost Police. I hope XDTalk doesn't get too big too quick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i belong to a lot of AR and gun related boards, and you are right, this particular one aint too shabby.:)
pretty much! i still have PM's to users that haven't been answered. vs. the PM's i send to users here, they are usually answered that same day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the others do is, put you down and don't want any advise unless it comes from there own big mouth. They do not think a person 57 years old has any knowledge about AR's or any other type of gun. :confused:

I thought wisdom came with age................

99.9999 of the people here are GREAT so kep up the good work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought wisdom came with age................
Not just age but experience. I know some folks who have the years in but,they don't know much about anything. :shock:

Conversely, I know a few (very few) whipper-snappers who actually know a good deal about a good many things.

It is true that there are plenty of snobs on the internet. There, are alos a LOT of good folks who are willing to share their experience and knowledge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I value the opinions here by far more than the other sites that are pretty much AR specific. We have a good group of people here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to agree. This is my favorite site for many kinds of information. For all the guys who give honest opinions on here, without the "my stuff is superior to all others" blasting,
I want to say THANK YOU :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the other sites, I get tired of hearing that unless you have a Colt or LMT with DD float tube and LaRue mounting gear with a $1500 scope your gun is a POS. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know, i think they're all just too busy trying to enlarge their e-penis and anyone new that comes along might have a bigger e-penis so they just don't answer or respond. HAHAHHAHA

jerks! LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get more answers here in the AR Talk room on a internet forum not dedicated to AR's than other internet forums that specialize in AR's. I won't name any .coms' but some of the other ones I peruse just seem like most (not all) of the users are snobs. Go figure!

/vent
I thought the same way you did, still do sometimes. You have to realize who is over there and what they do. Those guys eat, breathe,sleep,dream,buy,sell,train with AR's all day long. That gun is their livelyhood. They are industry professionals over there who write columns for gun rags, industry professionals who are instructors at the most prominant carbine classes in the USA. They are who they are, know their stuff and get tired of the newbie's with the "Bushmaster vs. Colt....which is better" threads.

Here is my take, I have always gotten straight answers from the "professionals",vendor reps and moderators. I have always asked in a professional manner with a "seeking to improve what I have attitude" please help if you can.

It's the enablers/followers/koolaid drinkers who probably used to own an Oly, DPMS,Bushy (some will admit it,some wont) that now own LMT's, Colt's, or whatever the flavor of the month is that will jump all over you, tell you to eat $hit and sell that POS that you have. It's just something your gonna have over there. Take the site for what it is, what it gives, FREE advice from professionals...You also get the same free advice over here but dont get beat up if you own a "lower tier" rifle.

Edit" Colt is def. not flavor of the month but THE standard rightly so.

I decided to salvage/save my DPMS gun for now using the info on the other sites and am very happy I did.

Try going over and visiting these guys, mostly Battle rifles but very very nice. Lots of AR stuff and other long gun info

Militaryfirearm - Powered by vBulletin

Cheers..C.C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's probably the natural evolution of forums. I'm sure those AR-dedicated ones were pretty good when they were new. Same thing probably for GlockTalk. The same things happen on Mustang message boards. The really large ones like Corral and Stangnet have evolved into a haven for self-proclaimed experts and are overflowing with commercial sponsors. The newer ones are still the place to get answers without being bashed by Search and Repost Police. I hope XDTalk doesn't get too big too quick.
This has been dicussed many times over before! Gosh why can't you take the time to search. I feel like these threads pop up every other day or so! GEESH! :rolleyes:

J/K of course for those who are a little slower than the norm!:lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will never bash anyone for whatever particular brand they happen to own, however, when asked the question....i will ATTEMPT to steer folks towards brands that I BELIEVE offer a BETTER VALUE based on their QUALITY, and the HIGH STANDARDS that the particular company builds its product to.

This means that there are certain brands i will NOT recommend. There are certain "kit" companies that i will NOT recommend. And yes, sometimes the products and companies that i DO recommend are more expensive. I do this because i TRULY believe that particular gear will serve the user better, more accurately, more reliably, and retain their resale value. I believe this is in the best interest of the consumer, both as a performance issue, and as a monetary value issue.

My wish is that i not be labeled as an "elitist" or a "snob". i will never tell some newbie that the NEED a 400 dollar noveske or WOA barrel for a plinker build. Nor would i even recommend it. But i also would not recommend the opposite end of the quality spectrum.

i have found in the past, that when a consumer pays a little bit more, and gets a LOT more in terms of quality, they are nearly always satisfied with the decision. If i advise someone, and they take my advise.....it is my wish that they end up satisfied with their decision.

I AM NOT AN AR15 EXPERT, nor will i ever claim to be. i just know a thing or two. maybe three....but definitely no more than three.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I AM NOT AN AR15 EXPERT, nor will i ever claim to be. i just know a thing or two. maybe three....but definitely no more than three.:)
That's what I've been trying to do here also, but seems like the majority here do not wish to hear advice from my past experiences. So now I'm just trying to keep to myself. :p

Besides, my GLOCK fever has kicked in again.....picked up a "new to me" G17 with CT laser grips on it. Now to add Meprolights and start buying mags for it. :grin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am only here because I have been exiled from the other places :p

Just kidding... I actually came on here to learn about XD's. Then I saw a lot of interest in AR's here and I myself love to chat about AR's and other battle rifles so I feel right at home here... and to think, the mods here did not want to add an AR section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i allways try to get answers here first, for one i know who for sure i can trust on here and i do get a much better responses. there is also a savage forum i go to that i will usually get 1-2 responses to a thread and they are usually a smartass response. same goes for ar15 forums
but here i usually get more helpful responses then the sights dedicated to them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i understand what Cubicle Commando is trying to say, but you know...

i'd rather put up with the "newb" questions and have that "newb" grow to learn, instead of despising people because of their so called "professional" attitude.

i use to be a paid photographer (which in the photographers world, you are considered a "professional"). but i am far from the skills that anne liebowitz, dave black or ansel adams have. but in the public eye, a paid photographer is more than likely knowledgeable in cameras and techniques. during my stint as a "professional" photographer, i use to frequent a couple forums and know what it's like to get messages and threads that are repetitive. but i never turned the "newb" questions down. what's a couple mins. of my life that will probably help someone save a ton of money, or save a photograph that he/she could be getting paid for? i'd rather endorse a community that is helpful, than a community that has an "only cool people allowed" sign on the gates.

what it comes down to is, there are more humble people in this forum than there is in the others. propellerhead is probably right about the evolution of a small forum to a big forum, but it's the helpful people and vetern posters job to let moderators know how or give them feedback as to how they can improve the online community. which probably leads me to believe that the "cool people" are probably moderating those boards, so there for even the moderators won't be as helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts