AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 2.5 years of thinking, researching, reading, comparing, dreaming, drooling, etc... I think I've finally made up my mind as to WHAT I want, and WHERE to get it (now it's just a matter of getting the $$$ - I hope I get a tax refund this year!!). I've "compromised" in between a 16" basic CQC rifle and a 20" rifle (which I originally wanted).

Special thanks to: Jerrell Wise and his wonderfully helpful "AR-15 101" thread, his helpful PM's to me, and his patience for dealing w/ all my questions. Your help was greatly appreciated, Sir!!!

I've decided on:

New 18" SPR Upper w/Mid Length Gas

New 18" Special Purpose Rifle upper. This upper is based on our M18 multi-role barrel and comes with mid-length handguards, mid-length sight radius, and is complete with bolt, carrier and charging handle. CMMG semi auto bolt carriers have the shrouded firing pin to protect against hammer wear. Upper receivers are "T" marked and include extended feed ramp cuts. Features include medium contour barrel, 11 degree recessed target crown, mid-length gas system, chrome-lined 5.56mm chamber and bore, 1/8 twist, parkerizing under “F” marked forged front sight base and magnetic particle testing on every barrel. Barrel is marked CMMG MPC 5.56 NATO 1/8.

A3 flat top receiver
Full-auto Carrier
Standard bolt Group
Standard charging handle
Anodized Ramps
Round forward assist
no rear sight (will purchase later)
Standard A2 flash hider

This will be attached to:

CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock

CMMG, Inc MOD4SA semi-auto AR15 forged lower receiver w/internal parts and stock. Lower is mil spec and uses standard take-down and fire control pins. Receiver is mil-spec hard coat anodized aircraft grade 7075 T6 aluminum and is Teflon coated for added durability and color consistency. Internals are semi-auto mil-spec. Receivers are RDIAS/RLL compatible.

Standard Trigger
Gapper and Accu-Wedge
Standard Trigger Guard
Standard Buffer
5-position ribbed M4 stock w/ mil-spec tube

So, there ya have it. I'll be buying the upper and lower separately (different days - not a complete rifle), as suggested by jwise. Total price, including shipping: $822.80 :mrgreen:

What do you think? Does it sound good?

Also, does anyone else have a CMMG AR-15?? What are your thoughts, experiences, opinions on them?

Thanks for any input!

[Future additions: some sort of flip-up rear sight (BUIS), and an EOTech].

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd buy a BUIS at the time you purchase the upper ;-)
How else would you be able to shoot it without a rear sight ? :p

Looks like a good setup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... How else would you be able to shoot it without a rear sight?
Thanks.

Well, since it's a flat top, and an EOTech is a way-off-in-the-future purchase, I was thinking about throwing my 8.5-25x44AO Mil-dot Tactical scope on it for a test drive...

Good idea on the BUIS at time of purchase. I'll toss in one of the BUIS options so I don't have to worry about it later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Well, since it's a flat top, and an EOTech is a way-off-in-the-future purchase, I was thinking about throwing my 8.5-25x44AO Mil-dot Tactical scope on it for a test drive...

Good idea on the BUIS at time of purchase. I'll toss in one of the BUIS options so I don't have to worry about it later.
Congrats on finding your perfect rifle, Dave...Definitely get the BUIS at time of purchase...learn to use the irons before you mess with optics....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a CMMG light-weight upper and it's been top notch. I originally bought it for a carbine I put together for my wife but I shoot it quite a bid too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For BUIS, look at the Troy or MI. I have one of each, and they're both great. A lot of people like the ARMS #40, but I don't like the spring loaded action. Seems kinda easy to break, IMO.

Get a Magpul CTR stock, too. Best collapsible stock on the market. Looks like you'll have a fine rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the total price of both the upper and lower is $822 then that's a pretty good deal.

I'd suggest getting the BUIS at least at the same time as you get the upper so you can shoot it.

If you don't mind having a mismatched upper and lower you can save yourself a few bucks by using another brand complete lower. Ameetec complete lowers for $235 and occasionally you can find complete m4 lowers for $200

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know when I first started reasing, I thought that an 18" rifle would be perfect for you and then I see thats what you selected. Ima member of a predator hunting forum and the guys seem to love AR's for coyote rifles. Seems alot of them are moving to the 18" guns due to excessive noice from a 16" gun and then the extra weight of a 20" gun. 18" seems to be a great compromise for something used for short range as well as long range work, without the added bulk.

Post pics when its all done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rifle looks good. I'm looking to get some parts from CMMG to make a M16a4 clone. Anyways...

Why did you go with the full-auto bolt carrier group? Any restrictions that go with it? And why did order the upper and lower at different times?

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm excited that I've finally figured it all out!

Why did you go with the full-auto bolt carrier group? Any restrictions that go with it? And why did order the upper and lower at different times?
I went w/ the full-auto carrier because it's longer under the tail of the bolt, is a "free" upgrade, many people swear it's more durable, and it was recommended by J. Wise. There are no NFA issues attached to it.

Ordered upper and lower separately because it's cheaper than ordering a complete rifle from them (no Federal Excise Tax), there's no "charge" for a detachable carry handle that I don't want, and I can have the upper shipped directly to my house later (when I have THAT money saved up).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks to be about the same decisions I've made. I just have to get the money for the lower first. I'm thinking it'll take me about two paychecks seeing as I'm only working 20 hours a week right now, but I should be able to squeeze it together and get the lower and FFL transfer fee. ;)

How much are you looking to spend, optics and all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say you done good... the 1-8" twist is the best out there, IMO. It lets you shoot the 77 gr. bullets that everyone is so in love with now without oversatbilizing the lighter stuff. Been thinking about switching my 16" out to a 20" barrel... wonder if CMMG would make me a 1-8" govt. profile :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much are you looking to spend, optics and all?
Well, the total price (w/ the "upgrades") is around $930 shipped ($280 for the lower, and $650 for the upper). I don't think that's too bad for a decent 18" SPR AR-15.

Luckily, I already have the optics part. I had gotten an "overly-powerful" scope for my .22lr, with the specific idea that I'd swap it out to an AR-15 if I ever got one. I'll just need some way to mount it to the gun.

Here's the scope I have:
8.5-25×44AO Tactical • Mueller Optics

I dunno if it's "perfect" for an AR-15 platform, but it'll be fun for use w/ killing paper. I'll add a holographic sight to it later for home defense purposes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure that's not a 6 position stock? I've seen 6 and 4 position ones.

I also heard mixed feedback on the Accuwedge thing.

To me, doing the research and picking options is half the fun of the whole AR experience. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It says 5 on their website. Feel free to check them out:
Lower Receivers - CMMG, Inc
Scroll down to the 3rd item (CMMG Semi-Auto Lower Receiver w/Internals and Stock)

I don't think I'll worry about the Accu-Wedge, but I think I do want the Gapper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. I didn't know they (they = everyone in general) made a 4, 5 and a 6 position ones.

Instead of the gapper, check on the pistol grip and/or winter trigger guard options. Some of the pistol grips cover that annoying gap. I ended up buying a used MIAD Full Kit. With the gapper route, you get the basic grip with a hole patcher. With an upgraded pistol grip, you get a better grip with more functionality and no hole.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How can I tell if there will be a gap or not w/ an "upgraded" grip?

I'm trying to keep this weapon balanced between decent functionality and lower price. So, any input you (and anyone else) can give me will be much appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, tell me about it! One thing at a time...

Lower
Upper
Ammo!!!!

I do have 20 rounds waiting for it though....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts