AR15 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any suggestions in ammo I should use?Ive been wanting one of these for awhile but could never afford one.I had something a guy wanted and he traded me even for it.Ive had my AR-15 for about 5 years now and know what it likes to eat but this is a total different animal.Been looking at surplus like the South African battle packs,any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
mag, it is my opinion that the South African
ammo is ok, however, if you really want some
good stuff, check out the CMP website.

Please don't expect the ammo in question to
be easy on the pocketbook, it ain't!!

Black Hills also makes great ammo, but it is
at the top of the list on price, expensive...
but worth it.

I am happy for you on your new acquisition.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
If you're going for consistent accuracy and velocity then BH Match and Federal Gold Medal Match will be really the best until you hand load

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
For the price, the South African was incredible, but now it's somewhat pricey, IF you can find it.
You are looking at .40/round minimum now a days for .308
check out http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=.308
The Lithuanian and Pakistani surplus was profoundly worse than the SA. Dirty and inconsistent.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Let us know how it shoots. My husband had to do a lot of work to his magazines after he bought his AR-10. Do you know how often the previous owner shot it? After tinkering with the magazines, it runs like a top and is a pleasure to shoot.

We shoot Canned Heat out of ours. They're factory reloads. But we did have one problem last summer, where the bullet came unseated from the casing and got lodged in the barrel. Gunpowder sprayed everywhere (which was good, because otherwise, my husband would have had no idea there was an obstruction in the barrel). So I can't really say whether or not I actually recommend the canned heat! That has been the only problem we've encountered with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I know plenty of guys who owns AR-10's and I have shot the AR-10 plenty of times.... to me they are the best .308 battle rifle that is currently available. I don't know how I held back for so long not owning one, My first AR-10 should be here in about 3 weeks. Can't wait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts