AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some different AR sites, now my biggest questions is do I buy an assembled AR or should I buy parts and assemble one on my own, which is a better way to go?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have plenty of mechanical skills, I went to a vo-tech school for machine shop, and I am/was an industrial electrician/mechanic, if that works.
Excellent!!! We have a winner!!!

Build the rifle and you will have all the features you want. The easiest way to get a baddass AR is to float a good barrel. You have to buy good parts and pay attention to the guys at AR15.com they really know what they are talking about. Build your list before you buy anything so you can get your parts down to just a single purchase to save on shipping if you can. If you don't want to mess with Headspace you should get a complete upper including the bolt and carrier.

The best uppers I have ever seen come from JP.

The next would be from White Oak Armament or White Oak Precision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the sites, i haven't seen those yet. I am starting to drool and my wife is really starting to hate me, thanks again.
That is why I am here!! To make wives hate their hubbys!!

Now just wait till you start looking at all the badass trigger parts!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you should buy your first one and build every one after that.

Buy it and shoot the heck out of it. Then you'll have a weapon that works that you can look over and base everything on.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can build one buy why bother if you don't know exactly what you want. I actually like a pretty bare bones rifle for anything but a match. There are some Colt 6520's out there for $1100 or so. I like the Gov't Carbine. To me, it embodies the essence of what an AR is supposed to be: Light, reliable, handy, accurate and very shootable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can build one buy why bother if you don't know exactly what you want. I actually like a pretty bare bones rifle for anything but a match. There are some Colt 6520's out there for $1100 or so. I like the Gov't Carbine. To me, it embodies the essence of what an AR is supposed to be: Light, reliable, handy, accurate and very shootable.

I'd buy a 6520 in a heartbeat if it was a flat top ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts