AR15 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

I have recently bought my first handgun and have caught the bug so now I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive rifle and am considering both an SKS and AK47.

I see there is a WASR-2 available from J&G for under $300 in 5.45x39mm. Having shot only .303 Enfield and 7.62 FAL in the UK, I am a little wary of the smaller calibers - guess I'm just used to a 'real' kick!

So, what am I missing here? I don't get the whole .223 and 5.56mm chamberings - yeah, higher velocity but isn't there a lack of punch?

Anyways, it seems to me that the 7.62 chambering is a better way to go but I might be wrong. Also, any thoughts on SKS v AK?

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
AK question in an AR forum ??

7.62 hits harder, IF you can hit it :twisted:

AR has a better rep for accuracy. 5.56 kills too, just not through obstacles as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
AK-7.62: You can make it accurate, but it's not near as easy as an AR. COM hits are easy at 100 yds, and it puts a bigger hole in someone. You still have to put that hole where it counts, a shoulder hit might only damage that arm and nothing more.

AK-5.56: Smaller holes, same issues with accuracy. Lighter felt recoil and cheaper ammo.

AR-5.56: Small holes, but since there is lighter recoil you can put 3-4 shots into the same or almost the same spot easily. 4 5.56 rounds through your heart really screws up your weekend plans. AR is way more modular, and everyone makes stuff for the AR. It isn't as reliable as an AK, but then again most shovels aren't as reliable as an AK.

Any of the three will get the job done, whichever one you get just make sure you get familiar with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
AK-5.56: Smaller holes, same issues with accuracy. Lighter felt recoil and cheaper ammo.
The place where I buy sells 7.62x39 for cheaper than .223, I haven't compared prices between the calibers elsewhere since I don't have any use for .223

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still contemplating a SBR and am wondering the same thing. Perhaps an AK-pistol in 7.62 would be the ticket. Then again the bragging rights of a 50 Beowulf or 458 SOCOM ............... Big holes are cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still contemplating a SBR and am wondering the same thing. Perhaps an AK-pistol in 7.62 would be the ticket. Then again the bragging rights of a 50 Beowulf or 458 SOCOM ............... Big holes are cool.
If you're going SBR, there is a whole lot of appeal for the AK.. I'm seriously contemplating an AK Pistol as a BoB/trunk gun.

If you're going for an AK purchase, 7.62 really is the best way to go primarily for parts and ammo availability and costs.

Still, I have no issue present or historically with my experiences with using the 5.56 round to stop a person. Just like any caliber, shot placement is the key.. and I'll kill you just as dead with a .22 as I will with a 155mm arty shell.

f0cker said:
4 5.56 rounds through your heart really screws up your weekend plans.
Pretty sure that 4 shots would screw up the whole month.. 1 to the heart would absolutely be cause for changing the weekend plans :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
.. and I'll kill you just as dead with a .22 as I will with a 155mm arty shell.:)
Actually, I am very quite most sure that one would be extremely deader if directly hit with the artillery shell, in layman's terms, of course.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty sure that 4 shots would screw up the whole month.. 1 to the heart would absolutely be cause for changing the weekend plans :)
Maybe for someone that doesn't get shot on a daily basis like a true hard-ass like myself. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe for someone that doesn't get shot on a daily basis like a true hard-ass like myself. :mrgreen:
Let me guess, you'd only have to change when you're gonna take lunch right? Like right after you kick the shooters nutz into his/her neck?

Rambo called.. he wants his attitude back :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Let me guess, you'd only have to change when you're gonna take lunch right? Like right after you kick the shooters nutz into his/her neck?

Rambo called.. he wants his attitude back :-D
I don't eat lunch, I have an MRE blended up in a big needle, I just shoot it up. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts