AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of having my A2 upper changed out for a flat top upper ($130 installed). While the barrel is off the receiver, I am thinking that it would be good to have a free float hand guard installed. I am thinking either the Yankee Hill Machine unit or the LaRue Tactical. I am guessing that it will be another $130 for the free float.

The company that will do the work carries the YHM units, so surely they will opt for that unit.

The question is do you think I should upgrade for ease of use of the optic and long term configurable flexibility or should I leave well enough alone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got railed FFTs on all of my ARs. I'm not a "gadget guy", but the few accessories I do have can quickly and easily be swapped from one gun to the next.

I really like the YHM lightweight 4-rail tubes (everything YHM that I own, for that matter). They are pretty light compared to the normal 4-rail tubes from other people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like a 16" barrel, I'm not sure and you should ask people, but is the free float worth the money with that? I'd think it wouldn't be, but the flat top is worth it IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen!
Anvil Arms notes I can do the receiver and the FF (with installation) for $225...not a bad price. Of course, I'll need to buy a BUIS as well.

go with the flat top :cool:
And not the FF?

looks like a 16" barrel, I'm not sure and you should ask people, but is the free float worth the money with that? I'd think it wouldn't be, but the flat top is worth it IMHO.
I'm only thinking in terms of having it be a more stable platform than the two piece.

I've got railed FFTs on all of my ARs. I'm not a "gadget guy", but the few accessories I do have can quickly and easily be swapped from one gun to the next.

I really like the YHM lightweight 4-rail tubes (everything YHM that I own, for that matter). They are pretty light compared to the normal 4-rail tubes from other people.
What other YHM items do you have?
The only thing I have on the fore arm is the light and the grip. I was originally going to mount the optic to it, but needed the lift and since the two piece is not that stable, I went with the gooseneck mount.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is wrong with the setup you have? If there is no problem the way it is, why mess with it?

You might take a look at Trijicon ACOG's, particualrly the TA-45 and TA-33 series. They mount to the carry handle of AR's and still allow the use of iron sights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which FF are they saying they can get you for that price? I know you mentioned LaRue earlier, but your price range ($130) was about $100 low for a LaRue. Nothing wrong with the light weight YHM stuff. Another option is to look at my new favorite forend the VLTOR CASV-EL .. you can get a lightly used one for about $200-225. Doesn't require the removal of anything but the FSP sling mount. That would balance what you're already going to be spending but give you more options down the road.

For a BUIS, I prefer Troy and ARMS, but there are always options there. Don't forget rail covers, if for nothing else than to help protect the rails from dings.

As for the cosmetic change.. all personal preference man, I like flat tops for a few reasons, but those are mine and don't really apply to your choices. Most of what folks choose is about LCF (Look Cool Factor). If you don't need full rails, then you might consider looking at something that give you the option to mount rail segments where ever you want on the forend... again YHM has an option there for ya, but the CASV hits that sweet spot too.

Pictures of course will be required once you get this finished.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are the forearm units I am looking at...$100.
Their website doesn't show a pic of the flat top receiver, but we've all seen one.

I am tinkering because, well, for no real reason other than having an AR and changing it up is the American way! ;)

I am NOT an operator, nor do I play one on TV, so I am doing this just because I'll have some cash available after Christmas and like to customize my guns every now and again...that and I haven't made any changes to the AR in several years, so I'm due! :cool:

Thanks for the responses...I'll be sure to post the before and after pics, as well as put my old parts up for sale!;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Their website doesn't show a pic of the flat top receiver, but we've all seen one.

I am tinkering because, well, for no real reason other than having an AR and changing it up is the American way! ;)

I am NOT an operator, nor do I play one on TV, so I am doing this just because I'll have some cash available after Christmas and like to customize my guns every now and again...that and I haven't made any changes to the AR in several years, so I'm due! :cool:

Thanks for the responses...I'll be sure to post the before and after pics, as well as put my old parts up for sale!;)
Those are the standard 4-rail FFTs. The lightweight ones look like this:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Opt for the lightweight forearms. The others are heavy, believe me I have one.

Or go with another brand if possible. The weight difference will throw off the balance of the rifle. Mine was front heavy before I changed the stock.

I would just get another complete upper and then you almost have two rifles. You could keep one as a KISS rifle and put your Aimpoint or other optics on the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ask them if they have the Specter Kits by chance. Shouldn't run more than $200-$225, has a low profile gas block, forend, front BUIS and end cap.. I'm going to put one on my 9mm AR if I can't find another reasonably priced CASV next month.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell Jon you want the YHM Lightweight FreeFloat. He has them, and they are worth it.

Jon will take care of you, no worries.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would keep it as is and buy another AR. Then once you get the other AR, then buy the other stuff and convert your A2 to a basic no thrills set up :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen!
Anvil Arms notes I can do the receiver and the FF (with installation) for $225...not a bad price. Of course, I'll need to buy a BUIS as well.

And not the FF?

I'm only thinking in terms of having it be a more stable platform than the two piece.
IMO 1 piece freefloats are more of a hassle than they are worth.
If you want to FF the 2 piece ones are more than stable enough,
heck they even make 2 piece FF where you don't need to remove the delta ring assembly ;)

What where you gonna mount on the rail besides a VFG and a light ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tell Jon you want the YHM Lightweight FreeFloat. He has them, and they are worth it.

Jon will take care of you, no worries.
I emailed him last night, maybe 8 p.m. and had an answer when I checked email at 7:45 a.m., then he responded to my question within 30 minutes...no other firearm vendor has responded so quickly! I have no concern that he'll hook me up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
acog before the free float
+$800 vs. $250. Probably not going to happen on this one, and unfortunately I am not patient enough to save like that.;)

IMO 1 piece freefloats are more of a hassle than they are worth.
If you want to FF the 2 piece ones are more than stable enough,
heck they even make 2 piece FF where you don't need to remove the delta ring assembly ;)

What where you gonna mount on the rail besides a VFG and a light ?
Pretty much only the VFG and the light. Does YHM make the 2 piece for use with the delta ring? If not, do you have a link for one that does?

I would keep it as is and buy another AR. Then once you get the other AR, then buy the other stuff and convert your A2 to a basic no thrills set up :D
I have thought about buying a full upper and switching out, then eventually building another lower, but, again, the patience thing catches up with me! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts