AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good read, good read!

Ed
+1,000

i've never had a jam with a DI weapon, like my M16. however i know people who have, and they don't jam at the range. they jam in combat.

they need to test as Deltas do. the best rifle should handle what the best throw at it.

Period.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing makes COLT that much better of a rifle over any of the other AR manufactures, The Army needs allow other manufactures to make true MIL-SPEC AR's. And remove a lot of the RED TAPE that stands in the way of making improvements, Then let the competition begin. Our soldiers will get a better, more updated rifle at the best possible price.

As much as I like the HK 416, I have shot a 416 with a 11.5" barrel with a happy switch. It is a great weapon. I just don't think that it is the best or the best priced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link Badshot.

This is why my FAL is my SHTF weapon and is why I bought an XCR :mrgreen:

I too had bad experience with M16's while in the Army, people tell me well thats because those weapons were over used and abused. But have you guys ever heard of a over abuse AK or FAL? No that is because thre is not such a thing :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In basic I saw a DI jumping on a charging handle like a Pogo stick trying to get a live round out of a chamber, but that was the only time I ever saw anything like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In basic I saw a DI jumping on a charging handle like a Pogo stick trying to get a live round out of a chamber, but that was the only time I ever saw anything like that.

Was he looking down the barrel while he did it?:mrgreen:

I don't have a huge problem with the weapons system but they do need some improvements IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good read...I carried an M16 A1 toward the end of their reign...I think the A2 was just coming in as I was getting out of active duty (1984) (then I went to the reserves...that unit probably STILL doesn't have the A2!) and never had any issues with it.

I was in the 82nd Airborne and we trained pretty hard...and even got to do some real stuff and I always felt comfortable with my issue rifle.:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for making me sad. Call this crazy, but short term they should switch to in a squad, two piston m4 variants one gas operated M16/a4 and one SAW, the a4 for long range shooting is a necessity I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They also recently discovered that running the rifle wet makes it much more reliable. The military used to preach just the opposite. Duhhhh!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They also recently discovered that running the rifle wet makes it much more reliable. The military used to preach just the opposite. Duhhhh!
yeah Military times and the Army "now" recommend to run them "wet". but i say you are screwed either way if you serve in the sandbox.

when i was in, we were taught to run them wet, but this was in Germany where weather was cold and we did not have a lot of sandstorms.

then when we went to the sandbox, they told us to run it dry(er), light coat of clp, becuase the oil just attracts all kinds of stuff, and eventually your weapon would be caked.

just like the guys in nam figured out, we found out you had to be on top of your game and go out of your way to keep the thing clean in order for it to function properly. in Germany we cleaned for the heck of it and because we had nothing better to do. In the sandbox, keeping your gun clean was not only mandatory, but now a necessity.

In WWI, WWII, and Korea, I did not hear any complaints from Soldiers or weapons reliability due to lack of cleaning.

Now overall the AR is a great weapon, but you just have to make sure you keep it clean. The AR is great for a professional army who has the logistic capabilities to go back to the rear for R&R and weapons cleaning.... you just better hope you don't get separated from your unit and end up in the woods/desert/jungle all by your lonesome without a cleaning kit while in a sandstorm and after you already been through one firefight. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This fricken Super doused verse an appropriate amount of lubrication kills me. The Army realized that in certain conditions - and do please remember that combat arms for all services gear their education and training levels at the American 8th grade level.. most of you are a wee bit smarter than that - that lite lube is bad..

I'm not going to get into a weenie beating and measuring match about how much lubricant I use verse what you use verse what a grunt in one of the boxes needs to use. I personally live in an arid climate and don't need to dip my BGC into a tub of motor oil to make my AR's work effectively. I've run em' wet, I've run em' dry as hell is hot.. I've run them both ways for at least 500 rounds each.. some times a bit more.. then again I don't white glove clean my AR's either. So yeah, don't buy any of my used AR's! The fact is my AR's work and they work because they are appropriately maintained, end of story. I've had worn as hell M16's to damn near new out of the crate from Colt. I've run them in the tropics and the desert. No one method of maintenance works for any fricken rifle or machine for that fact. In one place you have to oil the whole damn weapon to keep the rust from forming on it and you have to do it every few hours.. some places you have to add a few drops to the BCG and rails and call it good.

Seriously.. the article centers around the fact that the Military has a propensity to not adopt what it best just because it might be "new". Piston uppers are far more effective than the 40+ year old gas blow back system that the current iteration uses
. The AR craps where it eats.. that's generally speaking a bad idea no matter what you're referring to. Then again my PTR91 is a really dirty pig too and it's a perfectly proven piston system... 10-20 minutes depending on where you are, depending on use is all it fricken takes.. I never saw where that was a real problem no matter where I was, no matter what I was facing. So yeah, Joe in the field has to care for his weapon.. and ya know what, he should, his life may depend on it... I take care of those types of things too.. don't you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts