AR15 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just bought a DPMS .308 ss heavy barrel and I was wondering if there is a break in procedure, and if so, what is it? Were heading to the range in the morn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Everyone will tell you something different. I personally have decided not to break in barrels anymore because I don't see a significant difference in cleaning results. Make sure to push a cleaning rod through the bore before you shoot it though, just in case something jammed up in there during shipping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's a chrome lined barrel ... no break in necessary ( this is what I read on the intarweb ) Just clean and well lubricate the new AR ... then shoot the p!$$ out of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with a typical break in .. 5 rnds, clean repeat for 200rnds .. nothing wrong with shooting the piss out of it either.. no help right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is a stainless barrel, I would do the recommended break in procedure.

+1 on no break in necessary for chrome line barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should we do a complete barrel clean ( solvent, brush, and patches ) or would just a good brushing suffice? Also, should we plan on shooting 200 rounds at the break in session, or can we break it up into a couple sessions? I want to make sure we do it right. Thanks for the info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should we do a complete barrel clean ( solvent, brush, and patches ) or would just a good brushing suffice? Also, should we plan on shooting 200 rounds at the break in session, or can we break it up into a couple sessions? I want to make sure we do it right. Thanks for the info.
We need more info to try to provide the best answer.

Is the barrel:
Chrome lined?
Not chrome lined?
Stainless steel?
Match grade?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Doublestar AR-15 (5.56 non chromed) and they recommend you should shoot 10 single shots and clean with a bore snake after each shot. That is the ONLY break-in required for my rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read the DPMS manuel it will tell you how to break it in. I have a DPMS LR-308 and I broke it in eathier way your shooting your new gun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just shoot it. Unnecessary cleaning will do more wear/damage to the barrel with no appreciable benefit in accuracy. There are too many other variables such as ammo, wind, etc. and of course how well you're shooting on any given day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts