AR15 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's used, but that's never bothered me.

$800 that I wasn't really planning on spending. I wasn't even seriously considering buying an AR yet. I went in to look at his .22 pistols. Stupid me for mentioning that I was thinking about maybe looking into getting an AR sometime in the future. So he hands it to me and I couldn't put it back down.

On the bright side (wait, this is all bright side) I got my buddy to handle an XD. He pulled out his wallet. His wife was there. She didn't stop him.:mrgreen: In fact, she bought me 200 rounds of ammo for the AR, so we could all go have fun this afternoon.

Now I need to find some literature/vids on cleaning this guy. I'd never shot an AR before, much less cleaned one. It's having a bit of a FTE issue, but I'm thinking its because the thing's filthy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's used, but that's never bothered me.

$800 that I wasn't really planning on spending. I wasn't even seriously considering buying an AR yet. I went in to look at his .22 pistols. Stupid me for mentioning that I was thinking about maybe looking into getting an AR sometime in the future. So he hands it to me and I couldn't put it back down.

On the bright side (wait, this is all bright side) I got my buddy to handle an XD. He pulled out his wallet. His wife was there. She didn't stop him.:mrgreen: In fact, she bought me 200 rounds of ammo for the AR, so we could all go have fun this afternoon.

Now I need to find some literature/vids on cleaning this guy. I'd never shot an AR before, much less cleaned one. It's having a bit of a FTE issue, but I'm thinking its because the thing's filthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxraAQ55W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btewvXGw8F0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WKv720_Ow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ye4QeD_BAc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a little pricey for used. You can build a new one for just under that. Is it mint? Depending on how used it is, Id put in a new buffer spring, a new bolt, stake the gas key and castle nut, all after a good cleaning of course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's got that cool semi-retro CAR15 look to it. Congrads and welcome to the Disease.. er.. I mean club.

A question though, is it just the picture or is there a slight color difference in the finishes between the upper and lower?

For the FTE issue, give it a really good cleaning and lube. You might want to pick up a few more rounds from a different manufacturer as well, just to make sure it isn't ammo related. If the FTE issue continues you'll want to have it checked out by a reputable gunsmith. You might have a weak extractor spring, or some excessive bolt wear. Not expensive fixes, but do have it checked out if they continue.

Again congrats and watch out, AR's are an addiction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A question though, is it just the picture or is there a slight color difference in the finishes between the upper and lower?

Again congrats and watch out, AR's are an addiction.
Looks like somebodies "build" and not a factory RRA to me, give away is that flash hider. I've never know RRA to make an upper like that.

:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The finish on the upper and lower are only slightly different to the eye. The camera's flash makes it a lot more noticeable.

Looks like somebodies "build" and not a factory RRA to me, give away is that flash hider. I've never know RRA to make an upper like that.
It probably is someone's build, but that's ok. I'll probably do my own build in the future. I'm very mechanically inclined, but I wouldn't want to assemble my own without knowing how they go together already. I figured with part prices and shipping, the price was within $100 either way.

For the FTE issue, give it a really good cleaning and lube. You might want to pick up a few more rounds from a different manufacturer as well, just to make sure it isn't ammo related... ...You might have a weak extractor spring, or some excessive bolt wear.
The ammo head stamp says PPU 07 5,56x45. As far as I could find in 15 minutes on google, that's Serbian. I'll pick some up from Walmart before the next trip to the range. The bolt was slamming down on the casings hard enough to crumple the necks.

I need to pick up another mag or 10. It had some rounds pointed skyward when feeding. I just want to cover all my bases.

In case you are thinking I'm regretting this buy, I'm not. I bought a beat up SKS with a cracked stock for my first gun so that I could get it working again. I like projects like this. It feeds my addiction with knowing how everything works. I'm thinking maybe even getting into Gunsmithing as a hobby/future profession.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bolt was slamming down on the casings hard enough to crumple the necks.

:eek::!::!: I'd get the chamber and bolt checked out before I shot it next, that SHOULD NOT be happening. It might be headspace issues, it might just be that you got a bad batch of ammo that is a bit out of spec, but either way it's not good at all and could cause some serious damage to your new investment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i personally like the flash hider on that her is a pic of mine i paid right at $600 including a trade value value of $400 for my XD9sc which i would have taken $350 for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:eek::!::!: I'd get the chamber and bolt checked out before I shot it next, that SHOULD NOT be happening. It might be headspace issues, it might just be that you got a bad batch of ammo that is a bit out of spec, but either way it's not good at all and could cause some serious damage to your new investment.
I should have said, it's doing that with the unejected, spent casings. Not the new ones. The neck is hitting just to the side of the chamber, with enough force to bend the brass. I'll take my camera next range trip (which might be in an hour or so) and take pics of jammed brass. Assuming the cleaning job I just did doesn't fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have said, it's doing that with the unejected, spent casings. Not the new ones. The neck is hitting just to the side of the chamber, with enough force to bend the brass. I'll take my camera next range trip (which might be in an hour or so) and take pics of jammed brass. Assuming the cleaning job I just did doesn't fix it.
Ahh, ok. I was going to ask you to post your location so I would be able to avoid your gun at the range. :mrgreen: Sounds like you've got a lot of **** built up in the BCG that needs to be cleaned out. Good luck, nice rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts