AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you bought a 1337 tactical a month or so back. I'm looking to get one of these as soon as they get them back in stock. They said the end of Feb., so how do you like it? Does it hold a good zero? They look pretty sturdy, is it holding up ok?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had 2 and they hold zero pretty good (never knocked em around though) and my only issue was the super short eye relief.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[disclaimer]I have never used a real ACOG IMO they are overpriced for what they are and if they could drop the price even half (what the govt. pays for one) I MIGHT consider one[/disclaimer]

Yeah the eye relief is pretty short but IRC this is also a complaint with the real deal ACOG.

All the ACOG accessories fit this scope. I use the carry handle screw kit, a scope coat for an ACOG. There are also guys using the piggy back mounts to mount doctor type clones on top of them.

I will say that something was machined wrong as it wouldn't mount with the cross hairs level. I had the same problem with another mount that was from Trijicon. I put it up on the carry handle and have enjoyed it since it fits fine up there and it gives me the carry handle irons as backups. I actually like it more on the carry handle than on the flat top mount, it just works better for me that way.

I've probably had over 300 rounds though the weapon with this sight on there and as far as I can tell it hasn't lost zero yet. I was out plinking clay pigeons with it at 100 yards the other day. Not exactly uber long range but good'nuff for me. I think the longest range we have out here is 200 yards.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Edit-I am thinking of going with some kind of doctor type optic on a piggyback mount for close range USPSA multi-gun use but am worried about how tall it will make the whole weapon package.

Right now I'm just using the "tube" that is machined in the trijicon for use with the carry handle irons as a "poor man's black dot" sight. I just look down the tube at close range (if you are looking down the tube you are looking through the rear arperture) and when the front sight falls on the target I pull the trigger.

Hope some of this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[disclaimer]I have never used a real ACOG IMO they are overpriced for what they are and if they could drop the price even half (what the govt. pays for one) I MIGHT consider one[/disclaimer]

Yeah the eye relief is pretty short but IRC this is also a complaint with the real deal ACOG.
It's a practically carbon copy of a Trijicon ACOG.

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/newsview.php?infoId=5

It doesn't have tritium though.

After having shot a FACOG a week or so ago back-to-back with my TA31, I can say there is a VERY noticeable difference in the quality of the glass and construction. I'm glad you're happy with yours, my friend is too. You need to shoot with a real ACOG before you call the FACOG a carbon copy. And I also recommend holding off on the first comment you made about pricing until you shoot one, they are worth the money. Mine will become a combat optic in the next year or so, so IMO the price becomes irrelevant. And the eye relief isn't an issue for me, I shoot NTCH most of the time. Just takes a bit more getting used to. :D

For a range gun only, the FACOG will work just fine IMO. For anything more, save a while longer and get an ACOG or Eotech/Aimpoint (with or without magnifier). Nice looking gun, and I like the 4wheeler in the background too. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL that's my son's ride.

It's still MO that the ACOG is overpriced. If they dropped it down to what the .mil pays for one I might consider it but remember that because you aren't the govt. you are paying 500 extra dollars for that ACOG.

What branch will you be going to the desert with? I know that if you are going to be some kind of ground pounder there is a good chance you will get issued one. The Marine Corps sure seems to like them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL that's my son's ride.

It's still MO that the ACOG is overpriced. If they dropped it down to what the .mil pays for one I might consider it but remember that because you aren't the govt. you are paying 500 extra dollars for that ACOG.

What branch will you be going to the desert with? I know that if you are going to be some kind of ground pounder there is a good chance you will get issued one. The Marine Corps sure seems to like them.
Should have clarified a bit more. Headed to basic followed by a couple other schools including Ranger school. Then it'll become my combat optic. My bad for not clarifying better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will most likely be issued one if you are in a position in the fireteam to need one i.e. designated marksman. And They will be sending you to Ranger school right away??? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I did some checking in on this and you may want to go check your paper work closely on this. It seems that you cannot get a contract saying you are going straight to Ranger School. Even soldiers in the Ranger Reg. usually don't go to Ranger School until they get into leadership positions. Infact from what I have been able to find you have to be at least a min. of a PFC before they will even accept you and you usually have to receive clearance from your unit to go.

Seriously corner your Recruiter and check on this because it sounds fishy. There are a few things you should never trust in this world......

Used car salesmen
New car salesmen
Door to door salesmen
Telemarketers
and Recruiters

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I did some checking in on this and you may want to go check your paper work closely on this. It seems that you cannot get a contract saying you are going straight to Ranger School. Even soldiers in the Ranger Reg. usually don't go to Ranger School until they get into leadership positions. Infact from what I have been able to find you have to be at least a min. of a PFC before they will even accept you and you usually have to receive clearance from your unit to go.

Seriously corner your Recruiter and check on this because it sounds fishy. There are a few things you should never trust in this world......

Used car salesmen
New car salesmen
Door to door salesmen
Telemarketers
and Recruiters

I'm not going immediately to RS. I've got all (or almost all, waiting on a few) of my ducks in a row, I'm headed to bed (long ass day tomorrow) but I've done my research. Thanks for looking out for me though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IIRC, soldiers in combat duty can purchase equipment for their weapons (i.e. optics, magazines, stocks, flashlights, etc) and be reimbursed for it to a certain point.

Hmm... there was a tacked thread on AR15.com about it but I can't find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Used car salesmen
New car salesmen
Door to door salesmen
Telemarketers
and Recruiters
You can be a PFC straight out of boot. Hell, I think you can even be a Spc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL must be nice. We can get contract PFC but only a very few new Marines go into the fleet or school as Lance Corporals.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had contract for Range School right after AIT and Jump School (which was a joke anyway)... it gets you to the Bat. that's it. You'll have to serve time at the bat doing prep before you'll slot in to the school. You'll be thankful for the training time, but not having a tab in the Bat makes you lower than worm turds, no matter what your rank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can be a PFC straight out of boot. Hell, I think you can even be a Spc...
That's correct. The only ways you can get E4 out of Basic (and as far as I know, that's only the Army that does it) are to have a college degree or get the rank the the Civilian Acquired Skills Program (such as members of the Army Bands, 88M's who already have their CDL, etc.) However, having that sham shield is a HUGE target while in Basic...trust me, I know. Not only are you targeted for being thrown immediately into a leadership position, if you have your degree (like I did) you'll get singled out and if you're in the band, forget it. You might as well start pushing and not quit until 9 weeks later.

However, once I got to my line unit, having that advanced rank has been a blessing. I get left out of a lot of the Mickey Mouse hazing that the new privates go through.

Rock Hard FISTERS, Hooah!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts