AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home from work and started working on getting the free float tube that had just come. Finished it up and wanted to post some pics. It's a DPMS tube.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to take the front sight and flash hider. It's two piece the barrel nut and the tube. It's a once piece tube though. Should have taken pics but I was itching to install it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to take the front sight and flash hider. It's two piece the barrel nut and the tube. It's a once piece tube though. Should have taken pics but I was itching to install it.
How long did it take? Any special tools?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took about 30 - 45 min. Vice, 2 punchs, armors tool and receiver action block. Borrowed the last two from a friend. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks really good, nice job! Might be a dumb question, but does a tube work as well on a M4 type AR like yours as they do on the long range shooters? I've always liked the tube setups, after seeing yours I guess I could convert my M4 fakery to a tube. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't shot it yet but It should help a bit with accuracy since the barrel is floated now. How much? Don't know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sadly you're not likely to get a ton of real improvement by just Free Floating it. Still any advantage is still an advantage. I'm not exactly a fan of tubes, just don't feel right to me, but I do like the way they look.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sadly you're not likely to get a ton of real improvement by just Free Floating it. Still any advantage is still an advantage. I'm not exactly a fan of tubes, just don't feel right to me, but I do like the way they look.
My understanding is that the main advantage of the free float tube is to competition shooters that use a sling in prone or kneeling.

With the free float tube there is no sideways pressure on the barrel from the sling so the POI doesn't change with sling pressure.

That being said, my 16" AR has a free float tube on it. Mostly because that's the way it came when I traded for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts